Debug level

Dippy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10790
I have seen the article and video about control maps and that an autoscan with debug level = 2 will provide useful information. However I also read the following on the product tour pages:

Debug Level controls how much debugging information VCDS records. A zero in this field (the default) means NO debug output will be generated whatsoever. This should decrease VCDS's susceptibility to interference by things like virus scanners (except when logging data). There should be no reason to set Debug to anything other than zero unless you are instructed to do so by Ross-Tech.

Despite the caveat "except when logging data" and the fact that clearly a lot of people have been doing this, I remain concerned about that warning. Can anyone easy my worry by explaining a bit more about this "susceptibility" and why it is safe for me to do an autoscan with debug level 2?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Virus scanners tend to "inspect" anything being written to disk by any program. This can slow down the process of writing data to disk, which in the days of slower computers and disk drives (and especially the old KW1281 protocol) could prevent VCDS from being able to maintain communications reliably. This stuff is far less of an issue on today's faster computers and the diagnostic protocols used in modern cars.

FWIW, it was never "unsafe". Generally the worst thing that would happen is you'd see communications errors.

-Uwe-

Dippy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10790
Thanks Uwe. I now realise that my old brain saw "susceptibility" and "virus" and thought about malware! Now I understand the warning. I use Avast and it can interfere occasionally so perhaps I'll disable it during the autoscan. I'm using HEXNET over wifi and my autoscans with debug=0 have taken a few minutes. Should I expect one to take a lot longer with debug=2?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yep, Debug Level 2 makes control module maps. That can take a while! You should probably either connect a battery charger or let your engine idle while doing this.

-Uwe-

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
...but only on some controllers. At least that‘s my experience. A real „dump completely“ option would be pretty cool.

Dippy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=10790
Just did mine. On debug=0 it took 02:36 and on debug=2 it took 36:43

Uwe, I did this for a friend who is retrofitting parts so that he could set his car up like mine. However does Ross-Tech still need this data as per the request on your Control Maps page? If so I'll send it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't know whether we "need" it or not, but we'd be happy to add it to our collection of such data if you're willing to send it, and we never know when it might come in handy.

-Uwe-

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
...but only on some controllers. At least that‘s my experience. A real „dump completely“ option would be pretty cool.

Creating adpmaps on non-UDS units is a pain as VCDS iterates over all 256 channels and is not aware that unit XY only has 5 accesible channels.
I recommend using my adpmap roboter for unattended dumps. (for german Auto-Scans...)

Last edited:
Back