Status
Not open for further replies.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
My current plan is $59.99 before discounts and taxes; after applying those I pay $52.89. I spoke with an AT&T rep yesterday and the cheapest I could get away with would have much higher while losing my unlimited data. If I move to a newer iPad, I may go with Verizon for it. T-Mobile is not a good option for me due to their poor coverage.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
My current plan is $59.99 before discounts and taxes; after applying those I pay $52.89. I spoke with an AT&T rep yesterday and the cheapest I could get away with would have much higher while losing my unlimited data. If I move to a newer iPad, I may go with Verizon for it. T-Mobile is not a good option for me due to their poor coverage.

That's only your data or the total bill?

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Total cellular bill. I have combined billing so landline & cellular are on the same bill; that total is around $160/month. I have 2 landlines and have looked at dropping one, but with the home phone plan I'm on, I would not save more than about $10 by dropping the line and switching to a different plan.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Total cellular bill. I have combined billing so landline & cellular are on the same bill; that total is around $160/month. I have 2 landlines and have looked at dropping one, but with the home phone plan I'm on, I would not save more than about $10 by dropping the line and switching to a different plan.

I haven't had a traditional land-line for years, since I do have the internet anyhow I just use Google voice and Skype (have a skype Philips cordless DECT phone) and Skype charges me $2.99/month for unlimited and Canada (and I can get as many skype-in nrs I want from whatever country I want for extra money around $60/year if I want an in-comming nr I have some of those for overseas use :))

I pay around $170 a month for two iPhones and my iPad mini all on the same mins and data plan.

Is your internet in that bill too or no?

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
No, my Internet has been $29.95/month for the last 9 years; it is going up to $49.95 this month. I live in a rural area where my options are dial-up, Satellite, or wireless ISP. I've been on the last since April 2005. DSL finally arrived a few years ago but the speed and cost are slower and higher, respectively. Oh, I COULD have had cable, if I wanted to pay the cable company several thousand dollars to run their cable down my street!

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
No, my Internet has been $29.95/month for the last 9 years; it is going up to $49.95 this month. I live in a rural area where my options are dial-up, Satellite, or wireless ISP. I've been on the last since April 2005. DSL finally arrived a few years ago but the speed and cost are slower and higher, respectively. Oh, I COULD have had cable, if I wanted to pay the cable company several thousand dollars to run their cable down my street!

I only use cable internet not TV, I pay $60 something for that so total around $233 a month for all my wireless services and phone and internet :)

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
But did you have to pay them several thousand dollars to run the cable first? ;)

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
But did you have to pay them several thousand dollars to run the cable first? ;)

No they didn't charge me for that :)

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
If I move to a newer iPad, I may go with Verizon for it. T-Mobile is not a good option for me due to their poor coverage.

That sounds like the best answer, still going to be about $30/mo though.

The newest iPads are not locked to a carrier should you decide to change later.
Unless perhaps you do some contract based retail purchase - I always buy direct from Apple.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
That sounds like the best answer, still going to be about $30/mo though.

The newest iPads are not locked to a carrier should you decide to change later.
Unless perhaps you do some contract based retail purchase - I always buy direct from Apple.

iPads were never locked to a carrier not even when you bought them with 2yr contract as I did, the early iPhones and iPads had carrier radio hardware differences though making it physically impossible to go between for instance ATT & Verizon, then there is/was the GSM 3G freq difference between ATT and TMo.

But now yes they are all compatible to do whatever you want with them.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This thread is starting to sound like an iFan convention. ;)

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
This thread is starting to sound like an iFan convention. ;)

Let me quote something I read the other day :)

" iPhones or iPads... Like 'em or not, they're a big (and relatively loyal) segment of the mobile device market. " :D

Btw here is a little word fun with your iFan word

http://translate.google.com/#sv/en/fan

Literally means devil :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Let me quote something I read the other day :)

" iPhones or iPads... Like 'em or not, they're a big (and relatively loyal) segment of the mobile device market. " :D
Yep, they are. E.g: My wife refuses to give up her iPhone (a plain '5'). I think I'll keep her anyway. ;)

And in all seriousness, the reason we implemented VCDS-Mobile the way we did is so it could be used on whatever devices our customers desire. So it's all good, I was just being silly; I get that way sometimes, especially on weekends.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Yep, they are. E.g: My wife refuses to give up her iPhone (a plain '5'). I think I'll keep her anyway. ;)

I guess iPhones are "she" with the name Siri and all :p

And in all seriousness, the reason we implemented VCDS-Mobile the way we did is so it could be used on whatever devices our customers desire. So it's all good, I was just being silly; I get that way sometimes, especially on weekends.

SO not to bring this thread OT (any more than it is) but there's no way to check TDI timing with the mobile version (for now) right? Or will there ever be?

Am I right in assuming (based on some of your comments on other forums) that VCDS mobile's plan in the long haul is to be able to do everything the normal version can?
Could one call the current HEX-NET a sorts of hybrid transition device?

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Perhaps one of these years, Apple might actually introduce a phone that has a screen big enough to be useful?

-Uwe-

You mean like this? :p

BhfPKa_CQAAc6M1.jpg:large

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Perhaps one of these years, Apple might actually introduce a phone that has a screen big enough to be useful?

-Uwe-

They did: back in the 90s - somewhat. With the Newton MessagePad 2000 and 2100 models you could connect your cellphone to them. Nowadays, people have even put Bluetooth connectivity in them (via PCMIA cards).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
SO not to bring this thread OT (any more than it is) but there's no way to check TDI timing with the mobile version (for now) right?
Correct.

Or will there ever be?
I don't see any reason why there couldn't be at some point in the future, but I think right now the priority needs to be getting what we have working as solidly as possible.

Am I right in assuming (based on some of your comments on other forums) that VCDS mobile's plan in the long haul is to be able to do everything the normal version can?
Yep, that's the plan.

Could one call the current HEX-NET a sorts of hybrid transition device?
The HEX-NET? I sure hope not! I don't like short life-cycles for hardware. Look at the HEX-USB+CAN; we introduced it 10 years ago and it's still a bread & butter product. Yes, there have been minor tweaks, but there plenty of people who bought them in 2004 who are still using them with the latest version of VCDS.

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
The HEX-NET? I sure hope not! I don't like short life-cycles for hardware. Look at the HEX-USB+CAN; we introduced it 10 years ago and it's still a bread & butter product. Yes, there have been minor tweaks, but there plenty of people who bought them in 2004 who are still using them with the latest version of VCDS.

-Uwe-

OK well what I meant was in it's current form w/VCDS mobile and full, but yeah I get your point.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Ideally the full VCDS could be installed on a chip inside the Hex-Net unit. That way it would work without having to be connected to "the Cloud" or a Windows laptop/tablet.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ideally the full VCDS could be installed on a chip inside the Hex-Net unit. That way it would work without having to be connected to "the Cloud" or a Windows laptop/tablet.
Yeah, but you forgot to mention another 'feature' of doing that: In a few years, the Chinese would figure out how make an exact clone, shamelessly in violation of our rights under international copyright, trademark, (and quite possibly patent) laws, treaties, and agreements. Having done none of the work to actually develop the product, they would proceed to sell it for around 20% of what we have to charge to cover what we've invested in its creation and ongoing development. By keeping at least some of the functionality under our control on our servers, that becomes MUCH harder to do. So while it would be eminently feasible for us to do what you want, there are reasons why we're rather reluctant to do that. ;)

-Uwe-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back