Advice on weaponry

McSpiffy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224526
What exploded on the workbench???

OK, since you want a simple answer and you're leaning toward a .22 cal pistol: Buy a Ruger SR22. The plain old model 3600 is fine. IMO, it's the best "do it all" .22 rim-fire pistol on the market and you should be able to get one in the $300 range.

Then call Doug at Bear Creek Holsters and ask him to make you an OWB holster for it so you're not tempted to stuff it in your pants mexican-carry style when you go out to check whether any coons need killin'. Like this:

71iubzq.jpg

OK, that's an SR9C. Think of it as the SR22s big brother. :D

-Uwe-

Edit: I previously said "In the $300 range". Here's one for $270:
http://www.cdnnsports.com/ruger-sr22-22lr-da-sa-adjustable-sight-2-10rd-mags.html#.VCnjp2Nxlo8
H/T to Eric who can always find a bargain. :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Better yet, he should get one of these:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Better yet, he should get one of these:
It'll probably be a while before I get into reloading. Maybe after I get the factory ammo to go straight, I'll try my own. :) Anyway, my understanding is reloading rimfire is sketchy at best, and I'm not looking for bigger stuff just yet.

I'm hoping I actually get to spend some time with my grandfather this fall/winter, if I can get back home. He has a pretty serious reloading setup. He was a pretty decent shooter back in the day, and by decent shooter I mean he has two of these hanging on his wall. Those genes are in me somewhere, I just need to find them.

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I've been shooting left no matter what I do, aside from deliberately aiming right. Spent some time at the range today and had an epiphany. I'd been leaving the sights alone, ass-u-ming they would be properly set up from the factory and the left bias was the shooter's fault. Finally it occurs to me to look closer...

ruger-sr22-factorysight.jpg

[HARRYDOYLE] Juuust a bit outside. [/HARRYDOYLE]

My next trip to the range should be a little less frustrating. I centered the rear sight while cleaning and re-assembling this evening, and I'll keep an appropriate tool in my gun bag for fine-tuning.

Jason

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Almost as funny as Nazi-Jersey. In theory, federal law protects you if it is legal for you to possess your gun at both the origin and destination of you trip and you have it locked up in the trunk, unloaded, ammo separate. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop certain states (like PA's eastern neighbor) from arresting honest, peaceable people anyway.

Just saw this news article from your favorite state:

http://news.yahoo.com/man-without-arms-facing-gun-charge-released-222340270.html

Man without use of arms facing gun charge released

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A man who can't use his arms because of a spinal condition and faces a gun possession charge was released from jail without having to pay bail on Friday.

Marcus Hubbard had been jailed since his arrest in Trenton in August. His bail was lowered on Tuesday from $100,000 to $35,000, but The Times newspaper (http://bit.ly/1DScEHL ) reported he was released without bail on Friday morning.

Hubbard's attorney, Caroline Turner, said she was delighted by the judge's decision and would fight for all charges against him to be dismissed.

Turner had said at Tuesday's bail hearing that the case against Hubbard, who injured his spine in a car accident and may have Lou Gehrig's disease, "shocks the conscience."

"How could (he be) held for four months on a gun charge?" Turner said during the hearing. "He cannot move his arms. They are useless to him."

Hubbard, who's from Salem, had been hospitalized in protective custody since his arrest, at a cost of at least $60,000.

Authorities say Hubbard and three other men were in a car that ran a red light in Trenton and was pulled over. They say inside the car police officers found a stolen handgun in a seatback pocket and a prescription bottle of codeine.

All four men were charged after none of them took responsibility for the pill bottle and the gun, which was stolen from Anchorage, Alaska.

Prosecutors acknowledged Hubbard has no use of his hands but said he still could be guilty of a crime.

___

Information from: The (Trenton, N.J.) Times, http://www.nj.com/times

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nothing that Nazi Jersey might do along those lines surprises me anymore.

funbard

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=234680
Get a Ruger 10-22 for a 22 CSL rifle, or any make of shot gun (12 gauge lead shot) for shots under 50 yards.
If you want to be stealth trap him in metal cage with cat food as bait. Put a subsonic round or two in the back of head. Less cleanup and noise. Trust me they are loud when mad! Hair raising rowling like none other...

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Glock 20 at 25yd, 15 shots semi-rapid/not very slow :) (180gr heavy plate concave base bullet with 9.2gr+- 0.1...machine thrown of Hodgdon Longshot, chronoed at 1275 fps from the 4.6" barrel)

T2LUcqb.png

Manurhin MR73, 25yd, 12 shots in single action (Geco 158gr 357Mag, chronoed between 1100 and 1237 fps from the 4" barrel)
Yes, there is one on the left edge :cry:

xtFRgLj.png

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I'm staying with my grandparents this week, to help look after my grandfather while he has knee surgery. I explained this to my boys, 10 and 11, and they didn't quite grasp what that meant. So, I told them that next time they saw Grandpa Young, he would be part cyborg. That got the concept across. :thumbs:

Grandpa Young has been known to shoot a pistol from time to time.

geneyoung-nra-1.jpg

geneyoung-nra-2.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmm... 1968 and 1970 -- so likely he did that with a double-action revolver...

-Uwe-

Katie Ross

Web Mistress
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-000276
And on this thread is the documentation of the slow transformation into a firearms enthusiast. One day, the reloads shall come.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I dunno, I tried to get you to help me reload about a year ago and you didn't seem very enthusiastic about it. :cry:

Katie Ross

Web Mistress
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-000276
I dunno, I tried to get you to help me reload about a year ago and you didn't seem very enthusiastic about it. :cry:

Sitting there for an hour watching you reload ammo that I can't even use is an amazing experience, I assure you. However, I do like knowing how to do it and if I WERE allowed to use them I might be more inclined to help. ;)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
However, I do like knowing how to do it and if I WERE allowed to use them I might be more inclined to help. ;)
Our Benevolent Dictator has you cleaning and (training for) reloading but he won't take you to the range? Totally not fair, Dad! ;)

Jason

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
He takes her to the range, but most @ RTRC feel one should shoot their own reloads only. I reload 9mm often enough that I'm not likely to mess any of the steps and never having had an issue in the 8000 9mm reloads I shot so far confirms that, so I have no qualms letting guests shoot mine :) I will also shoot Andy's reloads (no homo) in 9mm and .45 :thumbs:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Hmm... 1968 and 1970 -- so likely he did that with a double-action revolver...
I'm aware there's some terminology issues with "pistol", but I'll take the NRA's word for it, right on the certificate. :p

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I will also shoot Andy's reloads (no homo) in 9mm and .45 :thumbs:
Thanks very much for that. Had to explain to my grandparents why I burst out laughing in the family room. Or, in reality, NOT explain. :o

Jason

Katie Ross

Web Mistress
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-000276
Our Benevolent Dictator has you cleaning and (training for) reloading but he won't take you to the range? Totally not fair, Dad! ;)

Jason

Come summer time, there's no need for a range... Virginia, I can't wait!

Back