Status
Not open for further replies.

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
Hmm, might be. On my A6 the starter relayS (there is actually two, connected in series, wonder why ? They are called J53 and J695) are controlled only by the ECU. There is no connection to the central electronics. There is also one connection directly from the ECU to the output side of the starter relay. I guess this is for S/S system (which probably bypass the starter relays, I GUESS).

What I mean with the steering wheel electronics is that the ignition switch (if there is one in this car) is connected to the steering wheel electronics.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The ecu cant receive or send the commands/output drivers if not powered.....

I would bench test this ecu for communications first............ since not online in scan.

If it talks .......time to RTFB WD better!

zacharyprice

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267295
I see you played fuse box but I also see you didn't touch that ground strap on body.........

Check ground points and trace the terminal relays + ignition switch with tone generator to BCM and inspect the inside of the BCM for burn down visually.

Hey Jack,

I did test the continuity for that ground strap yesterday and it was solid. I forgot to mention that but thank you for the mentioning of it.

When tracing the terminal relays I wanted to clarify that you are referring to the two in the engine bay fuse box and not a different set. There has been mention of relays several times and I just want to make sure that my 2012 model only has these two.

I will do the visual inspection this evening after work.

zacharyprice

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267295
You need to put that inline fuse back and You need to check do you get 12V on each cable not continuity.
You need to have 12V on all of them all the time.
I never said to remove it, I said check voltage.

Hey Jetta,97

I checked continuity from the request of another poster on here but thanks for suggesting the voltage check. I will perform this once I get home this evening. Forgive me for misunderstanding as there has been a lot of help given and I am trying to follow everyone's suggestion. I certainly do appreciate your help.

zacharyprice

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267295
Relays ......Terminals 15 30 and 75..........?

Hey Jack,

Are relays for Terminal 15 & 30 the two in the engine bay fuse box? I am unaware of the third one's (75) location and I submitted an image below. Is there any chance that you could look that over and see what I am working with?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I am currently working elsewhere and will have a look at wd when I get a chance, but you should search the terminal identifiers in repair manual and component locations.

Have you inspected the J519 relays attached and the ignition switch with meter and traced by WD?

Go to ECU in WD and hook up a tone generator to the terminal 15/30 ( fuse panel B )/50 circuit and back trace.........if no voltage.

Bench check the ecu and CAN bus wires. Search J317 & J329.......... and J682, J832, J17 Check all fuses and sub fuse panel C ...... SC locations.
A199 and A192

Please post a picture of white tag in trunk or service book or PM it to me.

Last edited:

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
any progress?

zacharyprice

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267295
any progress?

Hey Welder,

Thanks for checking up on me. I have not had much time over the course of the past week to follow along the wiring diagrams just yet so I am still at the point where I was last week which is on the last bolt on the starter before I pull it off for testing.

Last night I was able to get in an hour or so after work before nightfall & the cold and was able to pull a fresh set of codes, clear the DTCs finally and then run a fresh Autoscan again. I will be trying to locate J519 for pin testing as well as the starter relay J682 and J623 that NETech mentioned - if those are different form the two relays in the engine bay fuse box. It is a bit overwhelming for me because I am unfamiliar with this car and it seems as though there are more relays being suggested than I can find so I am hoping to find them in the files that I downloaded online. I have been unsuccessful in locating a Haynes or Bentley manual for this car as it appears that they no longer make those for my model year.

Jack had several suggestions regarding terminal 15/30 on fuse panel B/50 circuit - that is what is confusing to me - but I did go an purchase a tone generator in order to troubleshoot his suggestion as I didn't have one over the weekend. By bench checking the ECU I assume he is referring to removing it and connecting power in a setup on a bench but I do not have that luxury as I don't have that sweet of a setup. I'll have to get creative in order to pull that off. I still need to locate J317, J329, J682, J832, J17 and sub fuse panel C along with SC locations (???) as well as A1999 and A192.

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
By bench checking the ECU I assume he is referring to removing it and connecting power in a setup on a bench but I do not have that luxury as I don't have that sweet of a setup. I'll have to get creative in order to pull that off. .

Kitchen table works fine. You just need a battery, wires, ECM, and your VCDS. have your WD to confirm your pins for power, ground and can-bus on your ECM and your VCDS interface cable. when u cut your wires, dont bare the ends. just slide the end of your wire over the pins on VCDS and ecm. power it up. try to connect on VCDS as usual.

zacharyprice

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267295
Just a quick update fellas, I am working on this this weekend now that I can finally get some daylight and time off. I'll post some updates shortly. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back