Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well a few things......Heat and shield or rotation......

1. The foil or foil tape and shaped .........added to the module helps remove heat as an additional cooling source....sort of like an amp cooling fins.
2. The foil acts as a shield since the system is filled with moving parts and the particles are also flowing like a charge you get B+ creation.

An example of this can be seen in coolant sensor codes when anti freeze is contaminated.
Search it and quick result will show short to B+ codes but no one finds the voltage........

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17664/P1256
Still misses the contaminated coolant in the wiki.......

Examples .......No shit you can measure the current with a meter..........:p

I have seen all kinds of havoc for improper shield.

Where a flywheel turning can hit the right resonance based on speed of RPM .......via induction, make a speedo or miles count operate....... not driving down the road.

A timing belt having a metal cover. and the belt being underside with steel belts while turning .....generate high tension arc's as if a secondary miss.

There are many insulators in the CVT and motion to break a field.......

T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)

I kind of wish the lightning strike voltage was a reportable event in the controller DTC log.

when the car was last driven, the temp within 5 minutes of the error, was 96*. i didnt get a full log or anything. i let the car sit until temps were 45* and the error still wouldnt clear, thats when i had the car towed for the last time. it hasnt been driven since then.

edit: just went outside to start it, car started right up (as usual) and no error. its so hard to pinpoint the cause to this error, really frustrating. ive never been stumped by a car in all my 15+ years of wrenching.

This makes me think that either the TCT sensor is bonkers maybe as aforementioned or you have a serious car blood clot.
Advised to observe flow and better observe the external filter kidney.

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
[Jack: Thanks for the response. If you ever write this stuff down in a PDF document, please let me know. Don't get me wrong- I don't think that the document will "go viral", but I'll certainly download a copy!
Don

y0itzflip

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=260428
lots of great info here. but nothing that I a, able to try has pinpointed the issue yet. guess the only fix is a manual swap.

like stated above. I wish there was a record as to what is causing the spike in voltage.

y0itzflip

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=260428
ok ive been trying to pinpoint what causes the solid PRND, over the last few days ive been trying diff things.

day 1. drove the car around with VCDS connected and monitoring the transmission fluid temps. temp hits 91* solid PRND.

day 2. let car idle in driveway with VCDS connected and monitoring the transmission fluid temps. temp hits 91* solid PRND

day 3, did the same, let car idle, hit 91* and same results.

so im going to assume it has to do with the transmission temps? maybe it is overheating and the transmission is shutting down to prevent further damage?

does anybody know the normal operating temerature range for a CVT transmission? (or any automatic just to have an idea)

im trying to find some info on maybe if the transmission cooler is clogged or something. will report back.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Now that seems to be a good diagnosis.

You can verify it by checking the cooler flow and or external strainer.

ATF temp is critical for the CVT or any auto trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back