Not open for further replies.

Jwestcott

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350616
I just picked up a 1999 VW Golf TDI 1.9L
had a slew of issues most of which I hope I figured out, one was needed a new alternator, that was a joy to replace in 25 degree weather. Also had a boost leak, which I hope I found I found one of the inter-cooler pipes not sealed with the clamp behind the passenger headlight. Had a Check engine light, and ABS light on. I also ran a 3rd gear WOT pull it was a short one but I just wanted to post it here and get some feed back on it. Any thought on the glowplug or abs codes please let me know.
99Golf.png

Code:
Chassis Type: 1J - VW Golf/Bora IV (1998 > 2006)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 22 29 35 36 37 39 46 47 55 56 57 75

Mileage: 464990km-288931miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 038-906-018-AGR.lbl
   Part No: 038 906 018 EB
   Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G700SG  2143  
   Coding: 00002
   Shop #: WSC 01317  
   VCID: 5AED91B5A506B457B01-4B3C

1 Fault Found:
16764 - Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit 
            P0380 - 35-10 - Malfunction - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ABS.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 907 379 G
   Component: ABS     20 IE CAN  0001  
   Coding: 03504
   VCID: 353722096C58BB2F7D3-4B1E

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags        Labels: 1J0-909-60x-VW3.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 909 609 
   Component:  C AIRBAG VW3 SG   0002  
   Coding: 00067
   VCID: 6C81C76D7F923AE752D-4B7A

3 Faults Found:
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199) 
            32-10 - Resistance Too High - Intermittent
00589 - Airbag Igniter 1; Passenger Side (N131) 
            32-00 - Resistance Too High
00532 - Supply Voltage B+ 
            07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 1J0-919-xxx-17.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 919 951 
   Component: A4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V01   
   Coding: 06242
   Shop #: WSC 00000  
   VCID: 6D87CA69448833EF453-5160

No fault code found.

Address 35: Centr. Locks        Labels: 1C0-962-258-II.lbl
   Part No: 1C0 962 258 P
   Component: 06 Zentr.Verriegel. 0001  
   Coding: 00256
   VCID: 34311F0D6722A2274AD-4B7A

3 Faults Found:
00949 - Central Locking Motor - tailgate (V53); LOCK 
            25-00 - Unknown Switch Condition
00953 - Interior Light Time limit 
            25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent
00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30 
            07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

End----------(Elapsed Time: 05:08, VBatt start/end: 14.4V/14.4V)-----------

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-018-AGR.lbl
Part No: 038 906 018 EB
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G700SG 2143
Coding: 00002
VCID: 5AED91B5A506B457B01-4B3C

1 Fault Found:
16764 - Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit
P0380 - 35-10 - Malfunction - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< FOD CODE!

images

Jwestcott

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350616
What does fod critical area mean?

Jwestcott

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350616
And I can't figure out how to post the png of the screenshot of the boost run

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
FOD = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_object_damage

Tampering! Your car is modified..........

No ABS codes?

Boost is logged in 0x01-08-011

Negative and positive deviations can be observed & 150-200 MBAR deviations are unacceptable and should result in limp mode.

"Post image" is free .........

Click insert image in tools above in forum.

Jwestcott

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350616
99Golf.png

Jwestcott

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350616
I'm sorry I did not mean ABS codes I ment to say airbag codes.
Not really sure about the tampering or modified car, everything is still there that looks stock ie; no delete on the EGR or anything. I'm sure there is a new or used head installed on the car as an old one came with it not sure if it came from this car or a doner car. turbo on that one has awful play on the compressor fins. I mean the car does have 288k on it. I bought it not looking for a show car but for a car that will get me to work and back (88.8 mile round trip) relatively cheap. Plus is saves my good vehicles from having a ton of miles stacked on them. Also not really sure how these little diesels are with power output, seems like i have to keep it in 3rd for awhile to build up to switch to 4th, haven't really had it in 5th other than either flat straight or downhill. any feedback on how the cars power delivery should be would also help me to determine if I'm still losing power somewhere.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I'm sorry I did not mean ABS codes I ment to say airbag codes.
Not really sure about the tampering or modified car, everything is still there that looks stock ie; no delete on the EGR or anything. I'm sure there is a new or used head installed on the car as an old one came with it not sure if it came from this car or a doner car. turbo on that one has awful play on the compressor fins. I mean the car does have 288k on it. I bought it not looking for a show car but for a car that will get me to work and back (88.8 mile round trip) relatively cheap. Plus is saves my good vehicles from having a ton of miles stacked on them. Also not really sure how these little diesels are with power output, seems like i have to keep it in 3rd for awhile to build up to switch to 4th, haven't really had it in 5th other than either flat straight or downhill. any feedback on how the cars power delivery should be would also help me to determine if I'm still losing power somewhere.

Your car is indeed FOD modified and missing readiness bits & with most certainly & likely speculated deletes!

He doubts me.........

latest

Unfix it and that boost positive deviation confirms the deletes in the STACK!

Why you might say, because there is not DTC!?

Hey did you know that Airbag codes for seat igniters should be checked for corrosion or broken wires under the seats first and observe static electricity for possible safety deployments?

Jwestcott

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350616
Ok if it is modified it was probably some somewhere in the past 288,000 miles which I have no record of. All I can go by is what I can see. I'm not a master mechanic by any means but can get around the basics on a car. Also this is my first diesel. Just looking for some pointers not trying to pick apart a 20yr old car.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
In order for trouble codes to present a fault in VCDS, they must be present in the stack of the ECU to report it
The beautiful thing about this, is VCDS just showed you your car is not working correct as will mechanical tests.

Have controller reprogrammed or get stock controller.
Then use the tool as intended.
You already verified boost is in deviation & with no fault code in log, what more do you need?
This is the VCDS forum not guess what we can do and rationalize it's a 20 year old car.
Fix it right and RTFB and stop fucking around.

Indeed everything you need in that old car can be bought in salvage yard for pennies to try or you could actually test stuff go figure.

Jwestcott

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350616
That's great and all, and I appreciate your up beat positive attitude towards someone that has none of the credentials that you have aquired throughout your life. Again I just bought the car. It didn't come with a long list of everything that's ever been performed on the vehicle, or hand written love notes from some vw mechanic about the way they changed out an ECU or cleaned the vnt turbo vanes. The car had a couple DTC's which I cleared out trying to get an accurate reading from the ECU on the check engine light, and yes I saved them I'll post them at the end of the post. I cleared everything because I had to change the alternator, fill up the coolant because the coolant light came on, filled up the power steering fluid because that just started to whine. As of this very moment the only light I have on in the cluster is the airbag light. I'm pretty sure it's throwing the glowplug code because there are only 3 glowplugs in the car not 4 someone put a bolt into the 4th hole to close it off so I'm sure that's reading a malfunction from that. I haven't investigated into that problem yet, as I'm still trying to get the headlight wiring figured out and the wipers not working. They move like a 1/2 inch then stop and won't move any more.

Ok here's the DTC's that were stored and I cleared them. This is the first reading I took from the car with VCDS before clearing them.

3 faults found
16764 - glow plugs/ heater Q6 circuit
P0380 - 35-10 malfunction - intermittent
16885 - vehicle speed sensor
P0501 - 35-00 - implausable signal
17958 - charge pressure
P1550 - 35-00 control deviation
Readiness 1 1 0 0 0

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
That's great and all, and I appreciate your up beat positive attitude towards someone that has none of the credentials that you have aquired throughout your life. Again I just bought the car. It didn't come with a long list of everything that's ever been performed on the vehicle, or hand written love notes from some vw mechanic about the way they changed out an ECU or cleaned the vnt turbo vanes. The car had a couple DTC's which I cleared out trying to get an accurate reading from the ECU on the check engine light, and yes I saved them I'll post them at the end of the post. I cleared everything because I had to change the alternator, fill up the coolant because the coolant light came on, filled up the power steering fluid because that just started to whine. As of this very moment the only light I have on in the cluster is the airbag light. I'm pretty sure it's throwing the glowplug code because there are only 3 glowplugs in the car not 4 someone put a bolt into the 4th hole to close it off so I'm sure that's reading a malfunction from that. I haven't investigated into that problem yet, as I'm still trying to get the headlight wiring figured out and the wipers not working. They move like a 1/2 inch then stop and won't move any more.

Ok here's the DTC's that were stored and I cleared them. This is the first reading I took from the car with VCDS before clearing them.

3 faults found
16764 - glow plugs/ heater Q6 circuit
P0380 - 35-10 malfunction - intermittent
16885 - vehicle speed sensor
P0501 - 35-00 - implausable signal
17958 - charge pressure
P1550 - 35-00 control deviation
Readiness 1 1 0 0 0

So you have FOD mechanical's and electric? .......... :banghead:

Again you could un-modify the car and use a consistent diagnostic stack or perform mechanical tests repairs ( replace missing glows ) and perform electrical with a DVOM and load light to determine the functionality of components & in conjunction with VCDS blocks and RTFB and WD?

So how is it you had no readiness before & displayed but now you do or did here?

Are you lying to the forum and withholding information?

It seems you need a touch of love and consideration?

cobra+commander+get+to+work.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
They move like a 1/2 inch then stop and won't move any more.

Sounds like the wiper trans could be out of time and or binding.

Unplug the motor from the trans and check for trans operation and set as per the RTFB at 9 o'clock position to time it.

Also verify the contact points in motor are not dirty or that the worm gear isn't broken if aforementioned is not the case.

Check the ground point for headlight harness under battery location and fuses for head lights.

This ground point can also affect the wiper operation!

Reactions: Uwe

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
So you have FOD mechanical's and electric? .......... :banghead:

Again you could un-modify the car and use a consistent diagnostic stack or perform mechanical tests repairs ( replace missing glows ) and perform electrical with a DVOM and load light to determine the functionality of components & in conjunction with VCDS blocks and RTFB and WD?

So how is it you had no readiness before & displayed but now you do or did here?

Are you lying to the forum and withholding information?

It seems you need a touch of love and consideration?

cobra+commander+get+to+work.jpg

Only thing he is going to get here is TOUGH LOVE, JACK STYLE, but in the end could work for him, just how it is.

But do get it, you buy a rig and you personally have not messed with it so feel offended when FOD is called, but the scanner does not lie.

LARIMORE

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
"Tough love"

I know that phrase real well!
Those were the exact words my Mom used Larrymore & when I asked my mom 40 years later, why she left me on the side of a highway while l was a young boy and then got into a truck hitch hiking to turn a trick. Never came back either!

So yeah NostraJackASS indeed knows real tough love this guy is just self inflicting his own pain in denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back