01J CVT G182 Sender Wheel Replacement help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpluch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=346526
How far do I need to push this Sender Wheel onto the input shaft for it to be properly seated?

I installed new input and output sender wheels on my 01J CVT Trans and My Ross-Tech Vag.com is saying that I have 2 Fault codes:

Engine Fault: 18032. Mil request signal active. (Check TCM for errors) P1624 - 008 readiness 0000 0001
Trans Fault: 17101 trans input speed sensor G182 P0717 35-00 No Signal

The VCDS Measuring Blocks, for Group 007 Transmission Input RPM G182 values are jumping around from valid values (of something similar to current rpm like 1260/min.) to invalid values of (0/min.) and then back to a valid value.

I took the Trans apart again, removed TCM and the Valve Body and it looks like a small section on the edge of the new G182 Sender Wheel may have come in contact with something and frayed a little section off. Between 1 o clock and 5 o clock approximately 3/16 thick...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Mechanical bearing or CVT barrel failure when under or over PSI needed from pump or inadequate pump PSI/volume................

lpluch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=346526
Jack, Do you actually believe that the answer you posted above is helpful? In my opinion, this post is just as bad if not worse than the last time you attempted to help me by requesting me to run and post a full scan and then did not offer any additional info once I did so.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack, Do you actually believe that the answer you posted above is helpful? In my opinion, this post is just as bad if not worse than the last time you attempted to help me by requesting me to run and post a full scan and then did not offer any additional info once I did so.

It is helpful, you just dont like the answer, because you are posting mechanical questions in a diagnostic section, but indeed I still answered it, so your adversarial response is unwarranted.
Follow up hand holding.........

If the trigger wheel is hitting the speed sensor & as you aforementioned ( mechanically by interference ) it is out of tolerance or installed wrong FOD depth for sensor and if you wanted to know specs for installing or measuring things or to check part numbers for questions of the speed sensors, it is not done with VCDS here, it is done with the RTFB and precise measuring mechanical tools or depth gauges.

You get what you give..........

Pictures and scans help us help you & without guessing we can't know or surmise everything!

01J CVT G182 Sender Wheel Replacement help needed...

How far do I need to push this Sender Wheel onto the input shaft for it to be properly seated?​

Speed sensors never kiss unless damaged by FOD, they all have air gaps and which if modifiable will be identified in the RTFB!

Vehicle Identification No.WAUAT48H03K013835
ModelAudi A4 Cabrio. 3,0
AA4C
Date of production04.10.2002
Year2003
Sales type8H75FH
Engine CodeAVK
Transmission CodeGGR

Last edited by a moderator:

lpluch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=346526
Jack Ass..... Your Mother named you appropriately...

Just so you know, I've been in the German Auto Repair business in the same neck of the woods as you since the early 1980's...I'm in Northern NJ, Jess Jones Porsche Audi, Paul Miller, Geronimos Performance etc.... just to name a few...

I don't do transmissions and as such, I was just looking for a little assistance... I don't need a lecture on what my post is missing or where I should technically post it...

This was the first time I have ever attempted to get help from an Audi forum and it was only because I do not do transmissions.

Because of Idiots like you who are Full of themselves it will be my last....

I have seen your answers to other peoples post... You are a joke and a detriment to communities and forums like this.....

I'm so glad that we are so geographically close, It will be my pleasure to discuss with my clients and people in our industry what an asshole you really are.

You Get What You Give!

How do you like me now Jack Ass?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack Ass..... Your Mother named you appropriately...

Just so you know, I've been in the German Auto Repair business in the same neck of the woods as you since the early 1980's...I'm in Northern NJ, Jess Jones Porsche Audi, Paul Miller, Geronimos Performance etc.... just to name a few...

I don't do transmissions and as such, I was just looking for a little assistance... I don't need a lecture on what my post is missing or where I should technically post it...

This was the first time I have ever attempted to get help from an Audi forum and it was only because I do not do transmissions.

Because of Idiots like you who are Full of themselves it will be my last....

I have seen your answers to other peoples post... You are a joke and a detriment to communities and forums like this.....

I'm so glad that we are so geographically close, It will be my pleasure to discuss with my clients and people in our industry what an asshole you really are.

You Get What You Give!

How do you like me now Jack Ass?

I like you more but you sure are impatient Lisa!

I embrace the definition of asshole but if you cant see I'm trying to help you and if you are in the business maybe you should leave if not understanding an itty bitty speed sensor .........you know, they are used in the engine, ABS and everywhere else in the car?

We should have coffee!

Add To Wiki.........

17101/P0717/ - Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182): No Signal or not found!

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Transmission in Limp Mode

Possible Causes

• Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182) faulty
  • Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182) faulty
  • – Read measured value block, refer to RTFB group 3 or 38 for CVT when 01J
    Sensor wheel in transmission has become detached or is faulty.

Possible Solutions

• Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182)
  • Check/Replace Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182)
  • Replace transmission. Refer to Continuously Variable Transmission in RTFB

Special Notes
Transmission input speed (RPM) sensor -G182- is integrated in the TCM -J217- and can only be replaced as a unit along with the TCM.

Note on DTC 17101 / P0717:
Condition for DTC recognition: The TCM recognizes short term input RPM which is less than or equal to 1 RPM and simultaneously an output RPM which is higher than 100 RPM.

• NostraJackASS Has Spoken!

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Hey Jack why wont you do repairs on these auto units?

The main reason I dont get involved in repairs of Mech or Multi control units online is the fun filled fact below, is no one reads the RTFB or uses a TQ wrench and these things suck to ship for hazardous waste potential to deal with just isn't worth it for me.

Oh Lisa.............

While you been throwing a tantrum I updated notes in DTC.........

I'm having this strange feeling of induced additional FOD & since you been around the block as you aforementioned, "used abused and never chosen" & like since the 80's as I have been, did you forget this tool called a Torque wrench and maybe over tightened the multi-tronic unit like many have due to your superior skills learned at those places you once worked?

Transmission input speed (RPM) sensor -G182- is integrated in the TCM -J217- and can only be replaced as a unit along with the TCM.

Note on DTC 17101 / P0717:
Condition for DTC recognition: The TCM recognizes short term input RPM which is less than or equal to 1 RPM and simultaneously an output RPM which is higher than 100 RPM.

lpluch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=346526
Jack, Your dealing with Jeff....

Lisa is my wife, This is her car, it has been sitting for a few months as I have not had the time to look at it. She would like her car back on the road and she signed up to this forum and put the first post up hoping it would motivate me to work on it. To be honest its a convertible and we only use it in the summer months so its not on my priority list .

All subsequent posts after the first one are from me...

The TCM was sent out to "Module Repair" in California.... for repairs, The initial repairs did not work and as a result the TCM was sent back to them a second time, The second time they cut off and glued on a range sensor tip onto the old TCM...

I have a feeling the new tip that they glued onto it is too long and it interfered with the new 01J 33 191 B sendor wheel that I had just put on.

The problem is one of 2 things, Either I didn't seat the Input Sender wheel correctly or the new range sensor tip on the TCM is hitting because it may now be longer than it originally was.....

The sender wheel can definitely be pressed on further onto the shaft with a socket and hammer if I had to but I installed it based upon the position of the old sender wheel.

Don't worry about it, I will figure it out..... Its not sending men to the moon... I was just hoping to hear a personal experience or 2 from of others that may have encountered a situation like this.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
MQTL520.jpg

Jack, Your dealing with Jeff....

Lisa is my wife, This is her car, it has been sitting for a few months as I have not had the time to look at it. She would like her car back on the road and she signed up to this forum and put the first post up hoping it would motivate me to work on it. To be honest its a convertible and we only use it in the summer months so its not on my priority list .

All subsequent posts after the first one are from me...

The TCM was sent out to "Module Repair" in California.... for repairs, The initial repairs did not work and as a result the TCM was sent back to them a second time, The second time they cut off and glued on a range sensor tip onto the old TCM...

I have a feeling the new tip that they glued onto it is too long and it interfered with the new 01J 33 191 B sendor wheel that I had just put on.

The problem is one of 2 things, Either I didn't seat the Input Sender wheel correctly or the new range sensor tip on the TCM is hitting because it may now be longer than it originally was.....

The sender wheel can definitely be pressed on further onto the shaft with a socket and hammer if I had to but I installed it based upon the position of the old sender wheel.

Don't worry about it, I will figure it out..... Its not sending men to the moon... I was just hoping to hear a personal experience or 2 from of others that may have encountered a situation like this.

Invalid part number.......

Nope not moon!

Well Jeff.......nice to meet you and Happy New Year!

Coffee still?

Keep in mind the forum has many areas for details & such as this, I really only hang in 3, mechanical / diagnostic and the virtual bar for most part & further being the asshole I am.

The reason I am an asshole is if I'm too nice, I get flooded with emails, calls or people just plain stopping by and interrupting me on the clock.....than I get nothing done!

I mean come on I called the Irish guy yesterday and I'm talking to you on New Years Day..........

I try to get back to people fast whether from smart ass phone or base and work the forum circuits or posts HOT! which means I'm usually constantly modifying them in time allotted while thinking for you.

This means I first answer short and sweet and then follow up for guys that need additional assistance, because I can't recall everything, nor do I know everything, so yeah I prefer Jack ASS/OFF, whatever and must refresh myself in RTFB before I start making recommendations or asking additional questions.

That's why JPPSG was made by me to set a path .........

Scans with vins & part numbers allow others, RT or me to pull data as I charted aforementioned & to go look it up as it does for others too; so the scan does indeed matter & even more so in the mechanical's if you are asking about a labor operation.

When you fail to do what I or forum members request, it shows the forum and me you are dismissing its relevance, further seeking a magic wand & while coming in and mouthing off about credentials & if I did that you would feel real small fast!

People that know me know, I don't need to prove shit, but I will often not always be right but most likely will indeed prove most of them wrong & because I'm smart enough when I don't know, to just say IDFK!
Make no mistake I fuck plenty of stuff up too!
The RTFB has multiple repair instructions for 01J depending on CVT shit box or anything else VAG and you should know this, since around the block from the 80's.....

It's very rare the reluctor ring fails unless it collided from a bad bearing or in your case a stupid module half ass setup someone sent you.

Install new reluctor ring and new TCU unit from VAG and TQ to spec......... call it a day!

Example.......

Should be part number 01J-331-191B

Maybe the other guy sent you a module for 7 clutch plate versus a 6 pack clutch plate & flashed the wrong software thinking there all the same ......but what the fuck do I know?
That's right 01J with GGR can come with two very different modules.

The scan indicates the right software but but but...........what about actual hardware?

Code:
VIN: WAUAT48H03K013835   License Plate: 

Chassis Type: 8H (8H - Audi Cabrio B6/B7 (2003 > 2009))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 0F 11 15 16 17 18 25 26 36 37 45 46 55 56 57
          63 65 67 73 75 76 77

VIN: WAUAT48H03K013835   Mileage: 244090km-151670miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 06C-909-559-ASN.lbl
   Part No SW: 8E0 909 559 E    HW: 8E0 909 059 
   Component: 3.0L V6/5V      G   0003  
   Coding: 0016584
   Shop #: WSC 00672 785 00200
   VCID: 372B28A3D35A288F6FF-5160

2 Faults Found:
18032 - MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors too!) 
            P1624 - 008 - 
16815 - Warm Up Catalyst; Bank 2 
            P0431 - 001 - Efficiency Below Threshold
Readiness: 0000 0001

Address 02: Auto Trans        Labels: 01J-927-156.lbl
   Part No: 01J 927 156 FE
   Component: V30 01J 3.0l 5V USA 3011  
   Coding: 01001
   Shop #: WSC 00672  
   VCID: 74B1DFAF87AC83978AD-5160

1 Fault Found:
17101 - Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182) 
            P0717 - 35-00 - No Signal

Vehicle Identification No.WAUAT48H03K013835
ModelAudi A4 Cabrio. 3,0
AA4C
Date of production04.10.2002
Year2003
Sales type8H75FH
Engine CodeAVK
Transmission CodeGGR

Code:
Special editionsE0AWithout special action equipment
Lockable wheel bolts1PAStandard wheel bolts
Vehicle class differentiation units/platform components1CHVehicle class differentiation -8H0-
Emission standard0GNEmission standard ULEV 1
Trailer hitch1D0without trailer towing
airbag4UBAirbag for NAR
Label for central electric0W2Label for central electric system English-speaking countries
Exterior mirror setting6XLExterior mirrors with memory feature, auto-dimming, power-folding/adjustable/ heated
Left exterior mirror5SGLeft exterior mirror, flat
Right exterior mirror5RWRight exterior mirror, convex (US) large viewing field
Drive type1X0Front-wheel drive
Equipment levelsA8UExecutive US equipment
Brake type in rear1KPDisc brakes in rear
batteriesJ0RBattery 380 A (80 Ah)
Brake type, front1LFDisc brakes in front
Component part sets with country-specific design requirementsB0Abuild parts set without county specific documentatio
Owner's manuals0VMInformation kit in American English
Heated washer nozzles9T1Heated washer nozzles in front
CD ROM/DVD/SD card7QAWithout CD/DVD for navigation
CD changer/CD player7A0Without CD changer/CD player
General operating permit, alterationsC00Operating permit, initial registration
Shock absorption/suspension, chassis1BAFederung/Daempfung, standard
Double DIN/dual-view display2T1Double-sized standard (DIN)
Insert for the filling up of unleaded fuel/fuel type2G1Insert for the filling up of unleaded fuel
Theft protection system7ANAnti-theft alarm system, backup horn and towing protection
Inserts5MGDecorative inserts, burr-walnut
Scuff plates7M0Plastic scuff plates in door apertures
Park distance control7X0Without park distance control
Tachograph/logbook9NXWithout electronic logbook
Headlight activation8K0Without special driving light switching
Fresh air intake for passenger compartment (with particulate filter)2V1dust-pollen filter
Antifreeze1C2Antifreeze up to -35 degree celsius tolerance up to -40 degree C
Vehicle specificationsF0ANo special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
Alternators8GRAlternator 150 A
Transmission types/gearshift mechanisms0G7tiptronic
Transmission shafts, rear axle1YAWithout transmission shafts f. rear axle
Transmission shafts1WGTransmission shafts 88 mm in diameter
Weight category rear axle0YNWeight range 13 installation control only, no requirement forecast
Weight category front axle0JLWeight category front axle weight range 11
Base engineT156-cylinder SI engine 3.0 l unit 06C.B (aluminum)
cruise control system8T1Cruise control system (CCS)
Garage door openerVC1Garage door opener
Transmission specificationsG0ZVariable gearing ratio
handle for hand brake lever6PChandbrake lever grip (leather)
Rear trim panel6V2Rear trim panel
Heating and air-conditioning system9AKClimatronic with impact pressure control, CFC-free
Headlamps8JDHeadlight with gas discharge lamp for driving on the right (US design)
Hardtop5F0Without hardtop
Customized installationFC0Without individual installation
Instrument clustersU1BInstrument cluster with mph speedometer, clock, tachometer and trip odometer
Breakaway interior rearview mirror4L7Breakaway interior rearview mirror, auto-dimming, with compass
Body styleK8KCabriolet
Cassette and CD storage unit4W0without cassette / CD tray
coolbox1W0Without refrigerator/glove compartment cooling system
Fuel quantity for initial filling1Z6Increase in initial standard fuel filling
Fuel systems0F2Fuel system for SI engine
Body measures5C1Body measures for increased safety requirements
Front license plate bracket6W3License plate bracket front (small, NAR)
Paint preservative/transit coating5K5Transportation protective film (instead of paint preservation)
Light package (lighting)QQ1With additional lights (interior lighting)
Steering system arrangementL0LLeft-hand drive
steering1N1Power steering
Lumbar support7P1Power adjustable lumbar support in front seats
steering wheels2ZQLeather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel for airbag system
Speaker installation8RYloudspeaker with BOSE-sound
Headlight range control8Q3Dynamic headlight range control (self-adjusting while driving)
Center armrest6E6Front center armrest
VersionsFM0Basic equipment variant
Multi-function display/trip computer9Q2Multi-function display/trip computer with check control
Engine cooling8Z6Hot country
Engine specificationsD2H6-cylinder SI engine 3.0 l/162 kW (30V) V6 base engine is T15
Navigation device7Q0without navigation system
rear fog lamp8TERear fog light for USA
Rear of platform module base4P4Rear floor panel module, type 5
Audi Sport/ Quattro GmbHFQ0Series wheels
WheelsCA5Alloy wheels 7.5J x 17
Impact protection measuresVR0Without impact protection measures
Radios8YNRadio "symphony" for USA
Tire pressure monitoring system7K0Without tyre pressure monitor
tireHG6All-weather tires 235/45 R 17 93H (NAR)
Tire suppliersV0ATires without specification of tire brand
Spare wheel/breakdown kit1G3Alloy spare wheel with original equipment tires
PPXPremium package for USA
PRFcast aluminium alloy wheels, 7.5Jx17, 6-arm "Diamond" design, with 235/45 R 17 Y tyres
PSVseat heating for front seats
Gearshift knob/handle6Q2Gearshift knob/handle in leather
Self-collection / special controlA00No self-collection
Special labels/plates0SSLabels in English and French
Locking mechanism for boot lid/cover rear4E4Trunk lid/tailgate operation from inside
Bumper systems2K2bumper reinforced
Seat belt check9P1Seat belt reminder, electric contact in buckle
Gearshift boot/cover6R0Gearshift boot for automatic transmission
seat coversN5TSeat trim covers in leather
Seat adjustment3L4Electric seat adjustment for both front seats, driver's seat with memory system
seat heater4A3seat heating for front seats separat controlable
Safety certificate1QESpecial labels safety certificate for Massachusetts
Audio-response system/voice controlQH0without voice control
Handling production and pre-productionFA0Control of standard production
Headlamp washer system8X1Headlamp washer system
Windshield wiper intermittent control/ light/rain sensor8N4Windshield wiper intermittent control with potentiometer (four speeds)
Door and lid locking system4K8Central locking w/ radio remote contr., interior controls in fr./rr. and sep. trunk release, two-stage unlocking
Type approval countries/countries with special requirementsB34Legal requirements USA
Carrier frequency for remote control5D2Carrier frequency 315 MHz
Transit coatingNT1Transit coating (type 2)
TV reception/digital radio receptionQV0without TV/digital radio reception
Assembly parts for engine (drive bearing)1VHAssembly part for 6-cyl. engine
Front underbody guard1SAWithout additional front underbody guard
Identification plates1EPSpecial identification label (USA)
Type sign2Z1Type sign at rear and "Quattro" nameplates respectively
First aid kit / warning triangle1T3First aid kit with warning triangle
Front seatsQ1AStandard seats in front
Telephone / telematics9W0Without car phone preparation/ installation
windscreen7S1windscreen
Windshield Glass4GPWindshield in heat-insulating glass with sunshield and viewing window for vehicle identification number
Additional tires (snow tires)2WAwithout spare tyre
floor mats0TDFront and rear floor mats
Additional child seat anchors3B4Child seat anchors for child seat system ISOFIX
Additional dust seals6U0Without additional seals outside
Auxiliary heating system9M0Without auxiliary heater/parking heater

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Anyone with a problem with a TCU such as this for failure or by design, should report it to NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back