Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
just before completely abandoning this idea (I know myself when I get aroused about something...), I would like to make a BOM to estimate the cost of the retrofit.

I know the lights are 5GE 941 773/4, but are these part numbers for the COMPLETE headlight with control module, etc, or what else is involved?

are you willing to share all the part numbers you retrofitted? including level sensor, module 55, etc.?

THANKS!

alpinehans

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=144881
Here are the parts that I used:

5GE-941-774-B Headlamp Assembly, RIGHT - North America
5F0-941-472-A Control Module LED
5GE-941-773-B Headlamp Assembly, LEFT - North America
5F0-941-472-A Control Module LED
5Q0 907 530 AC CAN Gateway HIGH - my car only had a MID version
Headlight leveling kit, which includes:
* HID headlight adapters 10 pin to 14 pin
* Leveling kit harness
* 5Q0-907-357 Headlight leveling Controller
* Rear axle sensor (select based on your car's rear axle)

I bought my headlights used and the vendor had sold the modules separately.
The pin configuration (at least for North America) on the LED headlights was different than the HID harness, so I had to modify the 10 pin to 14 pin harness. I bought access to ERWIN and downloaded all relevant wiring diagrams of the eGolf, hatchback, and station wagon and figured out how to modify the wiring harness. You're in Italia and my diagram would most likely not help you.
You'll be running a cable through the firewall and between the headlights. There's also a cable running to the driver's side rear wheel where the leveling sensor is mounted.

In Europe you have access to a ton of retrofit kits, some of which are authorized by the factory. They treat us like criminals here in North America when we ask for upgrades to our cars.

There's a ton of changes in the headlight adaptations of module 19 obviously. I can help you with that.

My biggest problem was replacing the CAN Gateway, which lead to a number of faults that took a full year until I found someone who was able to fix them. Completely unrelated to the headlights.

I think that's it essentially. Not hugely difficult. But the LED headlights are so much better than the (North American) halogens, and because they are so bright you don't want to use them without leveling, in particular when you pull a trailer or carry heavy loads in the trunk on a regular basis, like me.

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
thank you very much. this is starting to get intriguing. I was considering the Osram LEDriving, just released on the market for the Golf 7, as they are full LED and plug and play. but some people are having issues, like intermittent light and delayed main beam flashing. price is 900 euro so I would not be far with this retrofit, and it's OEM lights.

a few comments/questions:

1) I already retrofitted a HIGH BCM and a HIGH Gateway, and ETKA says my Golf 2016 has the very same BCM as a e-Golf 2016, so... bingo.
2) the Kufatec kit has just a ridiculous price, I am very skilled in wiring and can source the connectors. then it's copper wire...
3) I just ordered a 5Q0 907 357 module for 29 bucks shipped, it comes from a wrecked Golf so there is no risk of "no EOL programming". where is it physically located in the car?
4) I found the rear axle sensor complete with brackets, brand new for 50 bucks shipped.
5) no problems at all in getting wiring diagrams from erWin and figure out all the wiring. it's actually fun for me.
6) I still have some spare wires going from the hood handle, through the firewall, and waiting below the battery. when I started retrofitting I needed 7 wires and 1 CanBus pair, but I pulled 16 wires and 4 CanBus pairs ;)
7) I will soon retrofit the Blind Spot radars, the wiring goes to the rear bumper, I will pull extra wires for the headlight level sensor.
8) adaptation changes are in module 09 BCM I believe, yes, I could use an admap of yours, to follow as an example. any changes in 19 Gateway as well?
9) I've been down that road, the Gateway thing. dealer was not able to restore FeC codes and it took me a while to find somebody to fix it.
10) did you replace the grille with the VW logo between the headlights, to have the blue stripe continuous? that is actually the thing I would like the least.
11) did you remove the dial that manually adjusts the stock halogen headlights? I think it can go, and the rheostat for cluster illumination can be retrofitted in its place.
12) I still want to evaluate how much it would be to replace the bumper, for the DRL thing. I would not be completely happy if using low beams.
13) did you replace the halogen fog light bulbs with aftermarket LEDs? I think it would look bad to keep halogen fogs, and maybe I could program the fogs as DRLs also.
14) where are the e-Golf fog lights?
15) I am not an expert in headlights installation but I know that they have to be mounted in "the right position", like they have adjustment screws for levels (pan/tilt). can you give some insight on this?

sorry for all the questions :P

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I made up my mind but I also changed my taste. e-Golf parts are rare and expensive, and I am not totally in love with the bumper look.

so now I am wondering if I can retrofit the e-Golf headlights, together with the GTI bumper and GTI fog lights (I plan to program those as DRLs as well).

so will the GTI bumper fit a "regular" Golf, or maybe something like the fenders are wider, car body is different?

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
google of course knew better. the bumper is apparently a direct swap. so I am gonna go with:

e-Golf headlights, GTI bumper and fogs, GTD grille. sounds like a funny mix, I am sure gonna have a unique car.

alpinehans

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=144881
8) adaptation changes are in module 09 BCM I believe, yes, I could use an admap of yours, to follow as an example. any changes in 19 Gateway as well?
I'll send you the adaptations via PM.

10) did you replace the grille with the VW logo between the headlights, to have the blue stripe continuous? that is actually the thing I would like the least.
I left the factory grille alone. It has a chrome stripe across that doesn't quite line up with the blue stripes in the lights, and I thought about replacing it, but it doesn't bother me at this time.

11) did you remove the dial that manually adjusts the stock halogen headlights? I think it can go, and the rheostat for cluster illumination can be retrofitted in its place.
I can't answer that because we don't have manual headlight leveling in North America (nobody would use it anyway because blinding people is so cool) and only high end cars have auto leveling.

13) did you replace the halogen fog light bulbs with aftermarket LEDs? I think it would look bad to keep halogen fogs, and maybe I could program the fogs as DRLs also.
I installed LED fog bulbs to match the bright white. These particular ones might not be legal in Europe.

14) where are the e-Golf fog lights?
I don't think the e-Golf has fog lights.

15) I am not an expert in headlights installation but I know that they have to be mounted in "the right position", like they have adjustment screws for levels (pan/tilt). can you give some insight on this?
The housings install just like the halogens. After that you have to adjust them by going into into the 55 module and program the basic settings, which puts them in a neutral position, then you make horizontal and vertical adjustments (ideally at a repair shop that has the alignment tool) using the adjustment screws, and confirm the settings.

Hans

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
thank you for everything. I am now designing everything on paper and slowly sourcing the parts. will do the actual job at the end of May when I go back home to my baby Golf.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
just to give more information, I found out that 5GE 941 773/4 superseded 5GE 941 035/6. the former headlights are way easier to source on the used market, and cheaper. I will use those.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
just to follow up, the retrofit is complete now. I ended up using low beams as DRLs as well.

alpinehans

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=144881
just to follow up, the retrofit is complete now. I ended up using low beams as DRLs as well.

Great to hear. Are you adding the leveling?

Have you driven w/ them at night? Aren't they so much better than the stock halogens?

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I have of course added the level sensor on the rear suspension, together with module 55. I don't think these headlights can work otherwise.

I am not totally in love with the low beams always on, since they are DRLs as well, but I had no choice; I retrofitted GTI LED fogs lights as well (replaced the front bumper), and I tried to code those as DRLs at first, but unfortunately they are too low and "hidden" in the bumper, so they are not really visible. I had to go with low beams as DRLs, but I cannot turn them off when I engage a turning blinker, or they would turn off at night too.

I was thinking about trying the high beams as DRLs, but I think the beam would be too much "in-your-face", especially because these headlights cannot be dimmed. a value of 80 will make a little difference in brightness, and any value below will make the light flicker.

anyway, it is what it is. I am overall beyond happy with the result.

I just came back from a nice drive on the mountains. the LED headlights are really stunning in comparison to the halogens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back