Down Under Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozdude

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been reading through the forums trying to find a solution to a problem with my '13 Touareg V6 TDI and I'm hoping some of the great minds here can solve what has become very very frustrating.

I live in a rural area outside of Sydney Australia and last week my brother-in-law (who is a qualified mechanic) took my car to his shop and changed out the pads and rotors. We have since run into what seems to be a common problem but still can't find the solution - an error stating "no basic settings".

We followed everything in the video tutorial on Ross-Tech, it does the grinding in correctly as well as all of the other steps shown, and the only thing we can see is that the "Air Gap Left" and "Air Gap Right" settings DON'T change, only the "before calibration" values do. With values of 2.487(L) and 2.271(R) I'd be guessing that it's outside of spec but with no apparent way of changing these settings we're stuck.

The "Air gap before calibration" settings are 2.157(L) and 2.222(R). We've noted that these values DO change with application of the EPB and/or adjusting the air gaps manually and these values appear to be correct for normal operation.

Unfortunately by bro-in-law didn't do an autoscan before conducting the brake swap so there is no detail prior to the repairs being completed.

We initially had more problems, including a coding issue but, after reading here that the code for North American Vehicles is 01040000, we then discovered the code for my vehicle is 01040100. Interestingly 01040200 also seemed to work. Not sure what difference the 2 codes represent but each of them gets us back to the never ending "no basic settings" error. If there is another code we should be using there, please let me know (maybe that's causing the other issue??).

As I've read in several threads here, an autoscan detailing the error(s) is usually requested. The only fault found is in Address 53 Parking brake and reads:

Address 53: Parking Brake (J540-) Labels:| 7P0-907-801.clb
Part No Sw: 7P0 907 801 F HW: 7P0-907-801 F
Component: EPB H51 1201
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: C1380700282
Coding: 01040200
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
ASAM Dataset: EV_ParkbA7 000006
ROD: EV_ParkbA7.rod
VCID: 36635253892559FF4F-8062

Slave 3:

1 Fault Found:
0024 - No Basic Setting
B2010 00 [009]
[New Feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 108760 km
Date: 2020.08.18
Time: 16:40:15
Voltage: 12.8V

If you need the full autoscan I'll need to get it off the laptop on the weekend.

Other than a warning in the information display saying "park brake fault" when starting the veghicle and then the orange warning light showing a P with a line through it, the EPB seems to be working correctly so I'm really frustrated and getting a flat spot on my forehead.

Late last night I read on the Ross-Tech Wiki page the last point in the Special Notes section: If the Air Gap Advanced Measuring Values do NOT change after the adjustments are complete; Make sure Basic Settings [*IDE04509*] Air gap calibration reports Finished Correctly, exit the controller, cycle the ignition, operate the EBP On/Off and re-check the Measuring Values.

This sounds like what we are experiencing but I'm unsure where or what the Air gap calibration report finishing correctly should look like or what should be displayed on the screen.

My bro-in-law is bringing the VCDS home this weekend and if we had something to go on from you guys here it would be really much appreciated.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,
OZ

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
As I've read in several threads here, an autoscan detailing the error(s) is usually requested.

If you need the full autoscan I'll need to get it off the laptop on the weekend.
We'll certainly need to see the full unedited Auto-Scan - see my sig for a link to a How-To

ozdude

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well, we went back to the car this weekend and, as I noted above, actioned the "how to" in the last bullet point in the Special Notes section of the Ross-Teck Wiki page.

This was the problem and, after the Air Gap Calibration Reports finished correctly and the ignition was cycled, EPB operated on/off, the error was able to be cleared and all is good.

For what it's worth, when I was reading through information on the internet about this specific problem, even coming to various threads here at Ross-Tech, each time someone noted that the Air Gap Values hadn't changed, there is no mention about that last point in the special notes section of the WIKI, rather threads just stopped. Perhaps it would be worthwhile adding that page as a sticky in the repair section along with a posted comment that highlights that very problem - WHAT TO DO IF THE AIR GAP VALUES DON'T CHANGE which would allow searching to find it and help various people around the world when their Touareg EPB just doesn't wanna be fixed.

Thank you to Ross-Tech for allowing me to post here.

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back