Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277993
On my VW TDI ALH engine 2000 Jetta, when my car goes from 0-40 on a fast acceleration a huge cloud of dark smoke comes out the back, but hardly nothing on slow acceleration. Does not use any oil. New Bosio 764 nozzles from Kerma TDI were put in and bled, fuel trim was changed from 2.9 to 6.25 msg/stream, a new Garrett VNT-17 turbo was installed. Car has great power and boost but also has a very hard time starting when engine is warm but starts OK when cold. Any ideas. Thanks Lawrence Mathon

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
1) autoscan
2) logs of MVB 003 and 011 at acceleration (full throttle, 3-rd gear)
3) logs of MVB 001 and 013 at idle

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Uwe

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
what is pump timing set at.

Lawrence

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277993
It is set to between 58 -68 advanced timing touching the top of the top line. This is what was recommended by Kerma TDI

Lawrence

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277993
It is set between 58-68, advanced timing on timing graph, at the top of the upper line. This is what was recommended by Kerma TDI because I have the Bosio 764 injector nozzles installed by VW dealership in St. Louis. I also have the upgraded Gerritt VNT-17 Turbo charger. The fuel trim was set from 2.9 msg/stream to 6.25 msg/stream. The car has great boost and good passing power, but lacks a bit when going up hills. I have yet to extend the glow plug time as right now, while it's still hot outside, the glow plugs go off in less than a second. Note: The glow plugs were installed about 2 yrs ago by myself. I bought them on eBay. I have also changed the glow plug sensor and the 109 sensor for the glow plugs. Since the new injectors have been installed, I notice that the engine is much harder to start than when it's cold. Sometimes, I have to make two multi crank scenarios before engine starts, when it's warm. And when it does start, it sounds like a harsh start when a big diesel truck starts. Not to mention, the large cloud of dark (not black) smoke that comes out the back when I quickly accelerate from 0 - 40 mph. Any ideas what might be wrong here? Thanks Lawrence Mathon

VW Mastertech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13728
Check measured value or data block for engine coolant temp sender before start up as this is only time will see true reading. if not close to ambient temp or showing default value (-40), change it for one with correct colour code for engine. This is usual cause of hard smokey warm engine starts as defaults back to -40 when ignition cycled usually worse if doing quick dash into shop or similar short stop.
Ecu ramps this default value up quickly after start as know reading out of range from air intake sensor, usually getting to 90c within a couple of minutes resulting in near normal running and usually no fault code stored.

Derek

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
Do you have other injectors that you can put in and see how it behaves when it warms up. I don't have any experience with aftermarket nozzles. It is possible that you need to send them back in for calibration. Have you cleaned the intake manifold lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back