Status
Not open for further replies.

jweirnik

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230390
I am a technician at a VW dealer. I use my Hex net on our wifi network. The wifi network they have setup for us in the shop is setup for DHCP. The IP address changes every night (the last digit only) Every morning when I come in I hardwire my hex net to my laptop and go into the configure utility. From there I go to the overview tab and observe what the IP address is at the time. I then take that and enter it into program options screen in VCDS. After this the hex net works wirelessly throughout the day. I was wondering if there is some settings that would allow me to not have to manually set it up every day. If I have the IP parameters on autodetect on the program options screen it never connects to the hex net. I only wonder if this is possible because our vas6154 wifi dongle connects to the wifi network without having to manually input the IP address daily.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I have setup IP address reservation in the DHCP setup of my router, this ensures that my HEX-NET always has the same IP address.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
You might want to try running the VCDS installer again and make sure the "Open windows firewall for HEX-NET" option is checked, and then see if auto-detect works after.

jweirnik

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230390
You might want to try running the VCDS installer again and make sure the "Open windows firewall for HEX-NET" option is checked, and then see if auto-detect works after.

When you say running the VCDS installer again do you mean reinstall vcds on my computer? Or resetting up the Hex-net? Thank you!

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Yes reinstall VCDS and check the box in the installer, this will automatically set up some firewall settings for you.

jweirnik

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230390
I reinstalled VCDS. checked the box for installer. Still having the same connection issue with auto detect. Port test shows
Port status: OK
Interface: Not found
Broadcast used:

In the overview menu from configuration in options Im showing an IP address of 10.250.9.43.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Something on you router might be blocking it. Probably your next best option is what PetrolDave said, if you can access the DHCP setting of your router, you can tell it to put the HEX-NET at a fixed address.

Alternatively, you could tether the HEX-NET and PC off a different network, like a phone, or use AP mode on the HEX-NET. Either should allow the auto-detect to go through.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I was reading that email and making sure VCDS still handled more than one HEX-NET on the same network during Auto-detect properly before I realized this was in forum. I confirmed more than 1 HN asks you to confirm properly.

http://ft.trillian.im/7a467daf2651281430c9375002268189594cfb6d/6VlwQhcuIuDMPUjlw2aikbMHpme7W.jpg

That sounds like a router side issue. If you can't log into it I would at least trip on the cord ;) and power cycle the thing. If you can log into it I would reserve a fixed address (per the above suggestions) in the router and then use the old HexNetConfigV2.014.jar Java app (located here) to set up the same fixed IP that you configured within the router. After changing the IP drop-down to Static (I'm on DHCP in the next pic) you can type in the area on the right:

6VlxEHbBQ2wTjF5vJQ3RasxiEmSrF.jpg

If you don't want Java on your PC - I don't blame you. You can set up advanced Network settings in VCDS-Mobile but the active profile can't be edited while using it. So, you would have to enable AP mode, connect the PC to the SSID of your HEX-NET, open a browser pointed at 192.168.0.1, login to VCDS-Mobile and get into network settings that way.

Reactions: Uwe

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
If you configure DHCP on the router to put the HEX-NET at a fixed address, you don't need to do anything hex-net or util side with static addresses, just leave it on normal DHCP and the router will put it at the right place. You CAN use that jar to put it at any static ip you want without access to the router, but there is the possibility of collision if you do this (if something else is already at that address, or dhcps to that address in the future) since the router doesn't have that address reserved. If you know the range of addresses your router typically DHCPs from, you might be able to use the jar to assign it a static address outside that range and be all right. But it is better if you can just set a fixed address for it in DHCP router side, then you don't need to change an other settings.

jweirnik

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230390
Thank you so much for the help. I was worried it would be on the router side of it. Unfortunately I don't have access to that. I've tried to ask the IT department to help me with this but they haven't been willing to help. I need to ask them to put the hex-net on a fixed address. Is that correct? Will they be able to see it if I have it powered up? Would the name they would be looking on their network be HN1-xxxx? This may be a stupid question but how does a laptop or another device on the same network pickup the different IP address assigned daily?

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Would the name they would be looking on their network be HN1-xxxx?

You should open VCIConfig and copy the MAC address near the IP from the first screen. This MAC address is likely what they would need to know.

This may be a stupid question but how does a laptop or another device on the same network pickup the different IP address assigned daily?

This is what DHCP does, the short of it is the router has a table of available addresses and when a computer connects it asks the router to assign it an address for a certain amount of time.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Got a very similar situation here, shop (2 HNs in use) gets no comms in "automatic" mode but VCDS connects just fine if the "fixed" IPs are entered. Anything I can do to debug? These guys are close, so there is some room for reasonable debugging on location. Shaun, please provide a list of what a router can possibly block and what we could try unblocking? These guys here seem to use a LANCOM R883VAW router.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
It uses UDP broadcast on port 777 for the autodetect, and TCP port 10002 for VCDS comms. If VCDS comms on fixed IP are working, then the problem is likely somewhere with the broadcast. Make sure router is set to allow broadcast on the port, security settings on some routers might restrict broadcasts. Also something like a "guest network" will cause problems, if it's on an isolated subnet. In essence, any type of security setting that tries to isolate or restrict broadcasts might cause problems here, but these are often very device/network topology specific things. Also, a firewall running on the PC side that blocks the UDP response or the TCP session would be a problem. Even if the broadcast gets out, a firewall PC side might block the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back