Flooded ECU through the plugs

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
One of my partner service shop gave me yesterday a ECU to verify it because it wasn t communicating on diagnosis and the van had a no start condition While trying to pry it off keeping it in my lap..i felt something funny and cold between my legs..and i jumped out of the seat. This ecu must ve had a half a liter of water in it...Jesus..
This Continental SID208 ecu is about 800 euros used and about 2000 euros new. Someone will have fun paying for a used one which will also have a fee for making it work on that car. :)
Van was brought for an engine change and they forgot the van s hood open for about a month in the back parking lot...and it rained badly...

Last edited:

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Last edited:

SaVAGeSoot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=568688
For proper cleaning, always use the "dip tank" method..... ;)

Reactions: JMR

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Are you sure that container in post #1 isn't the washer fluid tank :D !

• Haha
Reactions: JMR

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
With what, a fire hose?

-Uwe-
I would think that with a pressure washer at a carwash or home... For what it s worth , the engine bay and engine were like brand new :)
Info : Visteon and Continental SID 208 ecus for ( Ford Transit , Citroen Jumper /Peugeot Boxer , Fiat Ducato and few other vans ) are prone to be flooded because of their superbad location. They are mounted in front of the driver in the engine bay , at the inside edge of the exterior panel , right underneath the edge of the front plastic cowling and where the hood meets the front side exterior panel. On extreme rain or extreme pressure washing...they will be drinking water ;) .So , usually has a plastic cap on top of the plugs but that gets easily thrown away or it s missing most of the time. Pic is representative off a internet search for show and tell purposes as of now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Uwe

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Back