Checking the mileage on a fairly new Skoda Octavia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George_K

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=326216
Hello All. I am the proud owner of a HEX-V2 cable. I have seen that VCDS can report a mileage figure which is based on integrating the vehicles average speed as recorded by the ECU? I think the feature in VCDS is called EDC15-16. I could be getting the wrong end of the stick but in effect it gives us something to compare the odometer to and we can then see if the odometer has been clocked back?

I'm thinking of buying a diesel Skoda Octavia estate. Specifically a car from 2016. From what I can gather these are quite regularly clocked back. Does the feature in VCDS work for these cars?

Many thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Probably not. Does the car you're looking at have an automatic transmission? Many of those keep track of mileage more-or-less independently.

-Uwe-

George_K

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=326216
I have been looking at manual transmissions. So I might be out of luck on this front.

Ashields

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325834
Hello George

I don't know if you already know but you check the MOT history on the government website https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/. If it has been MOTed every year it will give a mileage record every year after 3 years old so they would need to clock it back some every year to cheat it without an obvious discrepancy .

Thanks

Andrew

George_K

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=326216
Hello George

I don't know if you already know but you check the MOT history on the government website https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/. If it has been MOTed every year it will give a mileage record every year after 3 years old so they would need to clock it back some every year to cheat it without an obvious discrepancy .

Thanks

Andrew

Hello Andrew, my paranoia can't overlook the possibility that a conniving individual would be incrementally clocking their car back.

Probably not. Does the car you're looking at have an automatic transmission? Many of those keep track of mileage more-or-less independently.

-Uwe-

Uwe. I have seen the light and come around to the idea of an automatic. From what I can tell I'm looking for "Select Control Module" -> "02-Auto Trans" -> "Meas Blocks - 08" -> "Group 109, Mileage". Am I on the right track with this? Many thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have seen the light and come around to the idea of an automatic.
I wouldn't exactly call that "seeing the light". ;)
From what I can tell I'm looking for "Select Control Module" -> "02-Auto Trans" -> "Meas Blocks - 08" -> "Group 109, Mileage". Am I on the right track with this? Many thanks.
Correct for the first two steps. But on a car as new as a 2016, I would expect the TCU to use the UDS protocol, which means there are no numbered "Measuring Blocks", just named Measuring Values. In that case, you'd have to look for something like:
IDE02820-ENG99004 -- Transmission mileage

-Uwe-

George_K

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=326216
Fascinating. General question; if the dashboard values are in miles will the VCDS values be in miles also or might they be in km?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
General question; if the dashboard values are in miles will the VCDS values be in miles also or might they be in km?
As a general rule, they will be in km (and labelled as such).

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back