Status
Not open for further replies.

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
hcn00a-00b7fa-ae3dcb-acb8ea-tqiahh-6a0c
Thanks to those who read these new posts and reply!! I’ve benefitted so much from your time and knowledge over the years.
My ac on my '13 tdi Jetta wagon has been intermittent for a couple weeks now at the worst possible time of year here in FL. Some trips it works the whole time, sometimes it starts working, then starts blowing hot, then sometimes it doesn’t work at all. I read about the common failures of the RCV valve so I started there: with the car running, I reached down to that valve in the compressor and wrapped on the housing area a couple of times, and it kicked on, as if I had just freed the stuck solenoid valve. I was sure I had it diagnosed. So I had the system drained, I replaced the valve, then went back and had it refilled. Worked great for the rest of that day. Then the next day, it was back to not working for a 3 hour drive I had to make across the state…then the next day it worked for whole trip back. Since then, the best it will do is blow cold for a few mins then start blowing hot, but usually doesn’t blow cold at all.

For the trips where it starts then stops, VCDS shows 2 codes: 9481200 - refrigerant pressure too low; 9480465 - control circuit for A/C compressor short to ground.

For the trips where it doesn’t work at all, VCDS just shows the 9480465 – short to ground. I checked advanced measuring blocks on the last of these trips and it showed the following: refrigerant pressure – 8.0 bar; compressor shutoff – malfunction in activation path; compressor current 0.0A.

Where do I start in trying to diagnose the compressor circuit issue? Seems like I should start with the control module, being that there’s 0 amps going thru whatever sensor VCDS pulls from. I am concerned about the refrigerant level code but want to fix the control circuit first.
Many thanks!!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Check load test or overlay wiring yet or replace PSI switch?

Reactions: Uwe

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
So I downloaded the official wiring diagram (attached), it shows the circuit for the compressor regulator valve going straight from the control module to the valve. J301 is the cabin control module and N280 is the valve.

https://imgur.com/a/WgPfYla

sSv64Ix.png

Does this seem right? If so, those are the only 2 places I can check for signal. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well there is that T4t connector in between. You should also verify that you've got a good ground on Pin 1 of N280.

-Uwe-

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
so I have good ground to 381 (highlighted) .4 ohms, dmm resistivity .2 ohms.

https://imgur.com/rwIqhTa

Fuses for j301 control module are good, I get 10.7V on the signal to the N280 at the connector with the ac turned on. So it seems like that compressor valve has a good circuit, and the J301 control module is working right? I already replaced N280.

I'm sure I'm missing something. Could that low pressure error that I had a couple of times cause this somehow? Or do I need test the compressor, maybe this is the load test you mentioned, Jack@European_Parts?

Last edited:

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
What's the point of this clip? To demonstrate how not to explain something? Succeeds admirably.
What's the point of referencing this clip?

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
I've already cracked open some beers so nothing else is happening today. I'm grateful for the feedback and will update when I get back to it.
The measuring blocks output (from my op) of an error in the activation path seems to point to the signal side tho. So that's where I will be load testing. Still wondering about that low pressure error too...could a faulty pressure switch cause this? or maybe I have a leak and actually am low.

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
So I isolated signal line going from the N280 compressor to that 4 pin connector by measuring a resistance, then load tested that wire and got no output from the test light. But in my previous post, I said I did get a voltage drop at the N280 connector, so I was expecting something thru that line. So I reconnected everything to try to duplicate that test, and got nothing at that connector.

Tomorrow I will check for voltage at that 4 pin connector from the control module. If i get voltage there, it would seem as if the problem is isolated to the wire to the compressor to the connector, correct? Again, I'm sure I'm missing something. Thx

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
You need to load test at the control module as well - to test whether it's the wiring or the internals of the module that cannot provide current (only voltage).

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You need to load test at the control module as well - to test whether it's the wiring or the internals of the module that cannot provide current (only voltage).
Agreed, and use an appropriate load. A 55 watt light bulb that pulls ~5A from 12V may not be an appropriate load in this case.

-Uwe-

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
Ok, So I revised my load testing method: Isolate line using resistance reading from dmm; connect line side "a" to negative battery terminal; connect test light clip to positive battery; touch test light probe to line side "b". With this method, both wires from the control module to compressor passed the load test. This matches the video posted above, but that guy mentioned having a special test light that may be different than mine. Thoughts?

Last night, I had a fuse in between my test light clip and the positive terminal.

If my method for load testing tonight was good, than it seems like the problem is in the J301 control module.

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
I should add that my test light is the kind with the digital read out, not just a bulb. I don't know if this is stressing the circuit enough...

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Ok, So I revised my load testing method: Isolate line using resistance reading from dmm; connect line side "a" to negative battery terminal; connect test light clip to positive battery; touch test light probe to line side "b". With this method, both wires from the control module to compressor passed the load test. This matches the video posted above, but that guy mentioned having a special test light that may be different than mine. Thoughts?

Last night, I had a fuse in between my test light clip and the positive terminal.

If my method for load testing tonight was good, than it seems like the problem is in the J301 control module.

I should add that my test light is the kind with the digital read out, not just a bulb. I don't know if this is stressing the circuit enough...

Why not read the specs of the light or hook up DVOM and test the amperage draw of the light itself in a loop circuit isolated to battery in series to determine, capeesh? :rolleyes:

I should add, that I'm sometimes interpreted as being a complete and total asshole, while I strive for this expectation & consistently it is not with intent to hurt anyone, however, did you know it's in the hope you will self teach yourself something?

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
Alright, I think I might finally have a handle on the situation.

I've confirmed that I get no voltage at that 4 pin connector from the control module with the ac on. I load tested both wires (separately) between the control module and the compressor using a fused 1157 bulb circuit and both wires are good (full brightness in both wires).

So this seems to point to the J301 control module. I will check back when I have it replaced.

Thanks!!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you test your theory yet with simulation to get function?

What about ground side?

bttlshp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
Sorry, how do I simulate?

I had checked ground at the compressor connector, it was good. load test that too?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you read the SSP for design and function and simulate with proper tools to achieve a test path?
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back