Advice on weaponry

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
p320 has been on my shortlist of stuff I want to test out and shoot. sounds like price and/or demand are going to go up now though lol

I have a sig sp2022 for my full size pistol and I love it, although my daily carry is my ruger sr9c.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
(possibly) inb4 Andy's mill tribulations
IlTIY0o.jpg

A0tBMpy.jpg

oQP20gH.jpg

LvcRIlK.jpg

WkkQyf9.jpg

i7ME7l8.jpg

4TeAYtx.jpg

also fitted EGW firing pin stop plate and will start with very minimal radius (factory on the right)
jQf9liC.jpg

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
The aftermath
riaZZIt.jpg

That's 5 shots at 25 yds. Disclaimer: this may have been luck since I wasn't able to replicate anything that tight, and the 4-shot hole looks bigger because there was a previous shot taped over in that location.
Slide is very hard to rack without cocking the hammer (good!) and I feel its velocity is very much under control even with my own 10mm loads. Brass doesn't land at my feet but doesn't end up 20' in front of me either like Andy's Witness does :) I was still more comfortable shooting the G20 (my carry piece); this double stack 1911 is a pleasure to shoot... with a glove :cool: Next time in addition to the glove I will bring the tools needed to adjust the rear sight right and low. I think I've put 80 rounds through it tonight so it should start to be broken in.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
http://www.fool.com/investing/2017/01/23/3-gun-laws-president-trump-could-change-within-the.aspx

3 Gun Laws President Trump Could Change Within the Next Month
Silencers for all and universal concealed carry are just two of the changes the new president could propose.

Rich Smith (TMFDitty)
Jan 23, 2017 at 2:43PM

The NRA spent more than $36 million on advertising supporting its favored candidates during the 2016 elections -- an all-time record. That support paid off big time when pro-gun Donald Trump won the top of his ticket and was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States on Friday. With Trump, along with firm Republican majorities in both the House and Senate, we could begin seeing loosened gun control laws in relatively short order.

What follows are just a few of the changes President Trump might propose.

Sea to shining sea reciprocity
On the campaign trail, Trump famously promised to expand reciprocity for holders of concealed carry permits, such that a gun owner with a permit issued in one state would be entitled to carry a weapon in all other states.

That's not how things work right now. If I have a concealed carry permit issued in Indiana, for example, it will be valid in 32 other states -- but 17 states and the District of Columbia will not recognize it, and can arrest me for concealed carrying in those jurisdictions. A permit issued in California, despite the state having even stricter gun laws, is not valid in 26 other jurisdictions. Conversely, an Alaska-issued permit is valid in all but 12 jurisdictions.

According to Trump: "A concealed carry permit ... should be valid in all 50 states. A driver's license works in every state, so it's common sense that a concealed carry permit should work in every state." In a very short time, he could make that opinion law.

Reverse President Obama's midnight executive actions
In the waning days of his administration, President Obama pushed through roughly two dozen executive actions designed to tighten gun control without the need for any laws being passed by Congress. Among other steps, Obama has directed the Centers for Disease Control to conduct research into gun violence, permitted doctors to ask patients whether they own guns, and required all firearms dealers to obtain federal licenses and conduct background checks on all buyers. The latter rule, issued just two weeks ago, requires anyone who sells a gun, even if only at a gun show or over the internet, to obtain a license and conduct background checks regardless of how many guns they sell. Failure to comply could earn a violator up to five years in prison and a fine of as much as $250,000.

President Trump immediately promised to "unsign" this directive once he takes office.

You have the right to remain silent
Meanwhile, Congressional Republicans are pushing a new law called the "Hearing Protection Act," aimed at reducing restrictions on the purchase of "silencers" for firearms. Currently, silencers are legal to purchase in 42 states. However, the purchase of a silencer entails the payment of a $200 federal tax, and requires a waiting period of up to 17 months to receive approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

The act, by the way, gets its name from the fact that guns are loud -- your average 9mm pistol produces a retort measured at 160 decibels. Attaching a silencer drops this volume down to 125 decibels, which is less damaging to human ears, and also makes outdoor shooting ranges less of a public nuisance. (Click the link to get an idea of how loud gun reports can offend the ears of non-shooters.)

Opponents of the measure argue that permitting easy access to silencers will permit criminals to kill in silence. Proponents respond that silencers are only "rarely" used in crime -- and in any case, 125 decibels, while easier on the ears than 160 decibels, is far from "silent." 125 db may be quieter than a jackhammer (130 db) but it's still significantly louder than a police siren (115 db).

What it means for investors
While all of these laws may have an effect on the gun industry, it's this last one that might have the most visible effect on publicly traded gun businesses. American Outdoor Brands (NASDAQ:AOBC), the company formerly known as Smith & Wesson, sells handguns with specially threaded barrels to accept suppressors, for example, and could enjoy greater sales of such products if silencers become easier to buy. Rival Sturm, Ruger (NYSE:RGR) actually makes and sells suppressors.

Now consider that as of the last report, Americans owned 265 million guns -- but fewer than 1 million silencers. That's a huge market that American Outdoor Brands and Sturm, Ruger would love to sell into. Easing restrictions on silencer sales could have follow-on effects, too. Granting easier access to suppressors could reduce noise complaints at open-air shooting ranges, making it easier for such businesses to open, which would attract more customers, resulting in more ammunition being used, resulting in more ammunition being sold, resulting in more sales (and profits) for ammo makers such as Olin Corp (NYSE:OLN), Vista Outdoor (NYSE:VSTO), and Orbital ATK (NYSE:OA).

Long story short, any relaxation in America's gun laws under a Trump Presidency would be good news for the gun industry -- but easing restrictions on silencer sales could give the NRA the biggest bang for its campaign contribution bucks.

Fool contributor Rich Smith does not own shares of, nor is he short, any company named above. You can find him on Motley Fool CAPS, publicly pontificating under the handle TMFDitty, where he's currently ranked No. 360 out of more than 75,000 rated members.

The Motley Fool recommends Orbital ATK. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Just some Saturday morning bullet farming:

9m0HVUv.jpg

That's small primer .45 ACP (most .45 ACP is larger primer).

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-1911-semiautomatic-pistol-why-americas-enemies-still-19218

The 1911 Semiautomatic Pistol: Why America's Enemies Still Fear This 100-Year-Old Gun

Kyle Mizokami
January 28, 2017

For more than a hundred years, one weapon has travelled with American troops into almost every crisis, hot spot and war the United States has participated in. Developed as a response to Washington’s first overseas insurgency, the 1911 pistol still accompanies U.S. forces today around the world.

The 1911 semiautomatic pistol was invented by John Moses Browning, one of the most successful—and some would say, legendary—inventors of firearms who ever lived. Between 1879 and 1926 the prolific Browning invented some of the most successful firearms ever made, including the 1911 pistol, the Browning Hi-Power pistol, the Browning Automatic Rifle and the M2 Browning heavy machine gun. Invented in 1921, the M2 still serves as the standard heavy machine gun of the U.S. armed forces.

The 1911 was designed with a new handgun cartridge, .45 ACP, in mind. The .45 Automatic Colt Pistol round, also designed by John Browning, was developed in response to the ineffectiveness of the U.S. Army’s then sidearm, the Colt M1892 revolver. U.S. troops sent to the Philippines during the Philippine-American War (1899–1902) discovered the revolver’s .38 Long Colt cartridge lacked the ability to reliably incapacitate Moro warriors in combat. The Muslim warriors tied off their limbs to prevent blood loss. They were still able to get within striking distance of U.S. soldiers with melee weapons, even after being shot.

After the war, the Army decided it needed a heavier round with greater killing power. The .45 ACP and 1911 pistol were developed with America’s experience in the Philippines in mind. The U.S. Army formally adopted the 1911 just in time for World War I. The 1911 proved a powerful and effective handgun in the hands of the American Expeditionary Forces. Army Sergeant Alvin C. York used his 1911 pistol to single-handedly kill six German soldiers charging him with fixed bayonets. He earned the Congressional Medal of Honor as a result.

After the war, the 1911 experienced a series of modifications designed to make the pistol easier to shoot. The new pistol was designated 1911A1 and changes included scalloping of the trigger housing, a longer safety spur and wider sights. The interwar period also saw the handgun popular with celebrity gangsters of the time—notorious bank robber John Dillinger carried a 1911A1 modified into a machine pistol by a San Antonio-based gunsmith. Outfitted with a barrel compensator and a grooved foregrip, the so-called Lebman Machine Pistol could shoot a thousand rounds a minute.

During World War II, the United States transformed itself into the “arsenal of democracy,” converting hundreds of civilian factories into war-production facilities. Contracts for production of 1911A1 pistols were doled out to civilian gun companies, including Colt, Remington Rand, and the Ithaca Gun Company, as well as civilian companies like Union Switch and Signal, and even the Singer company, famous for sewing machines. The small batch of five hundred sample 1911A1s built by Singer were famously well made, but ultimately the company decided it was better suited to making artillery fire-control directors. Overall, more than 1.9 million 1911A1s were produced during World War II.

The guns were not just supplied to the U.S. military, but also to allied forces and guerillas. The 1911A1 served with Brazilian, Canadian, Chinese Nationalist, British Commonwealth, Mexican and Soviet forces. Many of the guns were provided under the Lend-Lease program, which shipped vast amounts of food, fuel and war materials abroad. Many 1911A1s were also provided to anti-Axis guerrilla forces worldwide. The 1911A1 persisted in American service for another forty years, serving through the Korean War, interventions in Lebanon and the Dominican Republic, and the Vietnam War. The gun was finally replaced in 1985 with the Beretta 92 pistol, which entered service as the M9.

The 1911A1’s record is mixed. The handgun certainly is powerful, and it’s 7+1 ammunition capacity allows for more firepower than a revolver. Its reputation as a bucking “hand cannon” is often overstated as the 1911A1’s heavy steel frame tends to soak up much recoil. Recoil is more like a firm push, in contrast to the whip of lighter polymer frame handguns firing smaller caliber ammunition.

Still, the 1911A1’s basic design is more than a hundred years old. The new generation of polymer guns such as the Glock are also much easier to disassemble and incorporate new features such as striker-fired operating systems, trigger safeties, loaded chamber indicators and larger magazines capacities.

Although the 1911A1 has been phased out of regular U.S. military service, pockets of 1911s still persist. In 2014, the Marine Corps placed an order for twelve thousand Close Quarter Battle Pistols (M45A1). The M45A1 is a 1911A1 built by Colt Defense with modifications, including a Picatinny accessory rail, night sights and a desert-tan paint job. The pistols were distributed both to U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC) and special-operations-capable Marine Expeditionary Units.

In 2014, the U.S. Army announced that it would hold a competition to replace the M9 pistol, and there was hope that the M1911A1 might make a return. Unfortunately one requirement of what would later be called the Modular Handgun System was low recoil, which implicitly disqualified the venerable pistol. The Army would later go on to select the Sig Sauer P320 for its twenty-first-century handgun. As for the 1911A1, it still lives on in the hands of Marines—and private gun owners worldwide.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
John Browning was a friggin genius, there's just no escaping it.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Soon, American Citizens will be able to buy surplus 1911's from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (just as they have done with Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903's, etc. for years):

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=178899

Everyone should own at least one 1911.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
This was ummm ... interesting. Last night my 10mm Olympic AR carbine successfully fired a few dozen rounds then after firing one shot from a fresh mag, the second round didn't want to chamber. I noticed the second round was more covered in soot than usual. I twisted around a .45 ACP cleaning brush in the chamber and it came out with a wedding ring on it!

oo5dmGt.jpg

These were twice fired Starline brass loaded with a pretty conservative (compared to what Eric does) load of Unique powder. There were no signs of overpressure on the primer and the bullet landed on the target in approximately the same place as its kin. The broken off base of the cartridge was ejected successfully in my brass catcher. My only guess is that this somehow fired out of battery and insufficient chamber support led to the breakage. I fired another couple magazines without incident.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I just made 300 rounds of 9mm 124gr round nose flat point for 9.9 cents per round:

COI6iCJ.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
It took longer than 15 minutes though. :)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
It took longer than 15 minutes though. :)

I found a quicker way..... :D

http://nypost.com/2017/02/10/massive-ammunition-stash-stolen-from-national-park/

Massive ammunition stash stolen from national park

By Yaron Steinbuch
Updated February 10, 2017 | 4:59pm

Thousands of rounds of ammunition were stolen at Oregon’s Crater Lake National Park — and the feds are asking for the public to help them find the culprits.

The rifle and pistol ammo was pilfered from a locked building in the park’s headquarters area, the Register-Guard of Eugene, Ore., reported.

The ammo was used as part of the park’s law enforcement program, according to the National Park Service. Its theft is a felony.

Authorities are offering up to $1,000 for information leading to the identification, arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft.

Crater Lake National Park is located in the Cascade Mountains of southern Oregon. It’s known for its namesake Crater Lake, formed by the now-collapsed volcano Mount Mazama.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
1.5" group at 25 yards tonight with my SW22 Victory shooting CCI Standard Velocity. Not bad if I do say so myself:

PiQABCB.jpg

Bonus Valentine's Day content:

eX9BeHI.jpg

Reactions: Uwe

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Never let a good target of opportunity go to waste, I say. Yesterday at the outdoor range I found several partially-broken clay pigeons so I recycled them:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Never let a good target of opportunity go to waste, I say. Yesterday at the outdoor range I found several partially-broken clay pigeons so I recycled them
You're supposed to shot those "on the wing", not as sitting ducks. :p

Back