Status
Not open for further replies.

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
I'm running Mac OS X El Capitan and get the java error message "Unable to load Java Runtime Environment" when starting HexNetConfig [both available versions]. Also, I run a closed password protected wireless network that only allows access to wireless devices who's MAC SSID is approved.

If I understand the documentation correctly, HexNetConfig allows access to the HEX-NET device's MAC address/ID which should normally be printed on the outer case of a device.

The HEX-NET Device does not have its MAC address/ID printed on the device as most wireless device manufacturers do.

Without the MAC address/ID I cannot add the device to my secure closed network on which the network name is not broadcast. It seems that what you claim to be Apple's idiosyncratic way of developing software is really the implementation of best practices security. A MAC address/ID printed on the device allows network security to be maintained and avoids problems like this.

Is there a way to identify my HEX-NET devices MAC address/ID?

If I connect to the device in Access Point mode and go to the about page, I see:

VCDS-Mobile
Codebase: May 19 2016 - 18:01:00

Registered to:
xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
Anytown
NY
US

CodeBlock V0.4321
FW version: 0.244
Dataset: 10000045

LSN: xxx...
VSN: xxx...

VINs: Unlimited
Faultcodes Cleared: 0

Copyright (C) 2014 Ross-Tech, LLC
Author: Shaun McElhinney

Does either number translate into a MAC address/ID?

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Try looking at the log on your router? That should have several entries showing that it blocked access to an unknown device with MAC hh:hh:hh:hh:hh. You can then add this MAC address to the allowed list.

This is how I granted my HEX-NET access to my similarly closed network that only allows known MAC addresses.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Are you using the latest version of the Java Config facility? It's on the first form of mine:

*Edit: Sorry, just re-read and you can't get the Java app to run. :facepalm:

dHyiVej.png

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Try looking at the log on your router? That should have several entries showing that it blocked access to an unknown device with MAC hh:hh:hh:hh:hh. You can then add this MAC address to the allowed list.

This is how I granted my HEX-NET access to my similarly closed network that only allows known MAC addresses.
Another way would be to put the HN in AP mode, access it directly with your phone or other device, and use a utility such as FING that will show you the MAC address of everything on your network.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Do you have Java installed on our Mac ??

If you have the newest java from Oracle installed, then sometimes you also need to install the Apple Java, which can be downloaded here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US
There are also some command-line tricks for Mac OS, but since I don't "do" Mac OS myself, I'll defer to someone who's more familiar.

-Uwe-

PS/FWIW: We are dumping the Java approach and are working on native config utilities for both Windows and Mac.

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
There are also some command-line tricks for Mac OS, but since I don't "do" Mac OS myself, I'll defer to someone who's more familiar.

-Uwe-

PS/FWIW: We are dumping the Java approach and are working on native config utilities for both Windows and Mac.
Installing the Apple Java I'm linking to will setup java to work on the command line.

Otherwise you need to set it up your self - but then you need to be familiar with working in the Terminal.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
My friends working in IT will approve. :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My friends working in IT will approve. :)
Well, Java seemed like a good universal way to do this some years ago, but now both MS and Apple are making it as difficult as they can to get Java progs to run on their latest operating systems. :mad:

-Uwe-

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
Well, Java seemed like a good universal way to do this some years ago, but now both MS and Apple are making it as difficult as they can to get Java progs to run on their latest operating systems. :mad:

-Uwe-
You could include the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in the App - then you don't need to relay on Java is already installed on Windows and/or Mac.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You could include the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in the App - then you don't need to relay on Java is already installed on Windows and/or Mac.
That's an an unacceptable (to me) amount of bloat in the installer for something that relatively few people need.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I'm a Mac novice (only got my MacBook Air in mid-June and had been 100% M$ beforehand) , all I did was download JRE for Mac from the Oracle website and install it.

Then the HEX-NET config utility just ran with no problems - and allowed me to update the BL version which Java on Windows 8.1 wouldn't allow me to do.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, it's not entirely clear why some people have problems and others don't. Maybe possible Oracle has implemented fixes for whatever Apple broke? :confused:

-Uwe-

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
PetrolDave,

Thank you for that piece of information. I'm just getting back to this thread that I started.

One of the problems I had with El Capitan was that the version of Java installed by the Apple online installation process broke my ability to use some critical applications, including my Adobe design apps, so I downgraded to the previous Java.

Uwe might be correct in stating that the direct from Java installer for Mac OS might have fixed my earlier issues and may address the issue my current version of Java has with HEX-NET Config.

Thanks to all of you that offered helpful advice about this issue.

I was reluctant to mess with having to deal with an issue that I had already resolved, but I think it is worth giving your suggestion a try.

I'm a Mac novice (only got my MacBook Air in mid-June and had been 100% M$ beforehand) , all I did was download JRE for Mac from the Oracle website and install it.

Then the HEX-NET config utility just ran with no problems - and allowed me to update the BL version which Java on Windows 8.1 wouldn't allow me to do.

BinsuJiro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63476
For anyone who has been following this thread because they have had some difficulty with the Java application used to configure your HEX-NET, I want to report back on how I resolved the problem.

Thanks to PetrolDave, I decided to download the latest Mac OS X version of the Java SDK by Oracle which will install the latest Java Runtime Environment. I had some trepidation about doing this because the first release of Mac OS X entitled El Capitan broke Java functionality in some of my critical design applications and other applications that I use frequently.

So, I installed the software. Now HEX-NET Config works, and so far I have no problems with any of the applications I have been working with.

I've been using Macs over 25 years, but I have to say that one learns something new every day and this from a new Mac user. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back