Status
Not open for further replies.

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
There is info on the web about physically removing Car-Net from our cars (not easy), but I recently saw this article: http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160809-your-car-is-not-your-friend
It states that a dealership can enable "Flight mode" to turn off the cellular phone connection and essentially disable Car-Net. Apparently this is like Airplane mode on your cell phone. I cannot find anything in the adaptation maps regarding flight mode (Flugmodus), airplane (Flugzeug), or just flight (Flug). Does anybody have a clue if/how this can be done with VCDS? Below is the operative part of the article referenced above:

"According to Frank Weith, General Manager of Connected Services at Volkswagen Group of America, “What the letter doesn't outline is that we do have the capability to completely sever the connection from the car to the cellular network. The customer would have to bring their vehicle to the dealer where it would be put into 'flight mode'. The result is the same as if the module were removed from the vehicle. This can only be done at the dealer.”
"Once this “flight mode” is enabled the Car-Net system, he says, effectively becomes a “brick in the car” and the dealer will also perform a test to ensure that the vehicle is not capable of sending or receiving information."

It says that "this can only be done at the dealer" but I seriously doubt that most dealerships know anything about this. It would be nice if VCDS could do this as well.

Have Fun!

Don

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
Yup that was my car that appeared to have an element of Flight Mode enabled when I took delivery and that caused me headaches with getting Audi Connect working, while there was an SOS error. I did resolve my issue by flicking the Flight Mode off, I don't know how I did it though, because on the surface what I tried didn't work - but clearly it did something else. So I don't know if I know the repeatable process to turn Flight Mode on and off. But then again, I have used some Basic Setting now that don't appear to work on the software, but they do!

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
I hadn't thought about looking at basic settings. I was just looking at adaptation maps because I have them on my hard disk. One of these mornings it should be cool enough to go out into my garage and play again for a while. This is not the time of year, in Las Vegas, to spend much time out of air conditioning.

Have Fun!

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back