Best way to test a Battery in a 2013 Audi Q7 TDI (US Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwedge411

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340850
As stated. what is the best way to test it?

Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This isn't really a test, but it should get you some data that might be interesting:

[Applications]
[History Data]

Toward the bottom of that dialog, click the radio button next to '19' and then click [Start].

-Uwe-

cwedge411

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340850
This isn't really a test, but it should get you some data that might be interesting:

[Applications]
[History Data]

Toward the bottom of that dialog, click the radio button next to '19' and then click [Start].

-Uwe-

thanks i'll give it a try.

a4bill

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340446
Definately do a proper load test to test the battery capacity with the proper tools.
I have a charger with a "reconditioning" mode on it so I disconnect the battery from the car, set my charger to "recondition" for a complete cycle. Then check battery capacity using a hand held load tester. You can usually pick up a cheap one for $50 at any parts store.

The "reconditioning" may be overkill to do first, but if I've learned anything...no such thing as extra steps or overkill.

This will give you the best possible idea of the capacity of the battery.
P.s. if the battery is more than 4yrs old...I usually just replace it regardless .

As a slight addition to this post - If/when you do replace your battery do yourself a huge favour and use a QUALITY OE replacement. These cars HATE cheap batteries... and recode the new batt when you replace it. Also, make sure it's fully charged before you recode so the system recognizes the batteries full capacity. (They're not shipped with a complete charge and who knows how long it sat in a warehouse somewhere prior to sale)

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Then check battery capacity using a hand held load tester.

Battery murderer! :rolleyes:

A very good passive test is this.

Charge battery on trickle and when finished, hook up a DVOM to battery and while connected to car in sleep mode by bypassing the zone to engage the alarm.

If that battery goes below 12.5 volts after 15 minutes or even comes close dump that puppy or do a battery wash like from the good old days & using approved safety methods.

a4bill

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340446
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back