Status
Not open for further replies.

9900rpm

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=83902
Ok, I think i have it all working. I was missing some coding in one of the modules. Now the blind spot detection and rear cross traffic works.

Question. I’ve never had a car with blind spot detection before. It seems as if the lights in the mirror fornit only comes on sometimes when cars are behind me on the sides. It doesn’t show it every time there is a car at a corner. Is this normal, or does this thing need to be calibrated? From other posts, I’ve read that the units I have are self calibrated ones. Is there a way to reset these things, or calibrate myself?

Qassem

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325382
Ok, I think i have it all working. I was missing some coding in one of the modules. Now the blind spot detection and rear cross traffic works.

Question. I’ve never had a car with blind spot detection before. It seems as if the lights in the mirror fornit only comes on sometimes when cars are behind me on the sides. It doesn’t show it every time there is a car at a corner. Is this normal, or does this thing need to be calibrated? From other posts, I’ve read that the units I have are self calibrated ones. Is there a way to reset these things, or calibrate myself?

Congrats Man,
Regarding calibration, I recommend doing it at the dealer, as other guys advise me when I retrofit the blind spot.
It’s better because safety comes first, you don’t want your car to behave in a crazy way.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Congrats Man,
Regarding calibration, I recommend doing it at the dealer, as other guys advise me when I retrofit the blind spot.
It’s better because safety comes first, you don’t want your car to behave in a crazy way.

This ^^

Also, this system is a bit different from the old school blind spot warning light.
In those systems, if there was something in the blind spot area > light turns on.

With this system, it will actually start warning you beforehand if a car is coming in fast behind you, or will not warn you at all if you're driving faster than the car behind you.
Example 1:

You are driving next to or slowly overtaking another car.
Result = blind spot warning on.

Example 2:

You are overtaking people and increasing distance between you and the one you are overtaking.
Result - blind spot warning off. It might give a warning only at the moment the car is actually in you blind spot, depending on the difference in speed between you and the car you're overtaking.

Example 3:

A car is coming up behind you on the lane next to you and decreasing distance.
Result: Blind spot warning will turn on before the car is actually in your blind spot. Depending on how fast the other car is closing in, you could get a warning way before the car actually being in your blind spot.
This is pretty handy when you misjudge the speed at which a car is actually driving and you switch lanes, only to find out the other car is already on your bumper.

Now I'm not really sure which functions are (un)available when you're missing the front camera, but on my Tig the blind spot radars do the following:

- Blind spot warning light comes on when there's somebody in the blind spot, or when somebody is about to be in the blind spot. They don't come on when somebody is in the blind spot but you're overtaking.
- Blind spot warning flashes when somebody is coming up behind you fast and you start switching lanes anyway (by activating turn signal).
- Steering assist will slightly but noticeably steer you back onto your lane if you try to switch lanes while the system is warning you.
- When reversing out of a parking spot, park assist will use the blind spot radars to look a lot further for any vehicles closing in in such a way that they might become a problem and warn you (check parking aid control module for this). I believe this is cross-traffic alert.

9900rpm

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=83902
OK, that makes sense. Maybe mine is working correctly. I was just under the impression that if there's a car chilling in the blind spot area (left or right rear of the car), it would go on. Didn't take speed or anything into consideration. Will pay more attention to that in the next few days.

I don't think my car pulls the steering wheel back to place, but when I do try to steer into a lane when the blind spot light is on (with a car in the blind spot), the light on the mirror does flash. Also, I did have a car dark out behind me when I was backing up out of a parking space, and the car beeped a few times, and a big red icon came on in the middle of the dash and mentioning something with cross traffic.

Next to retrofit is the parking sensors. Starting that in a couple days. Hopefully that goes smoothly.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Well if there is a car in your blind spot and has the same speed as you, it should come on. Its just that it doesnt give a warning in situations where its obvious theres someone there, like when youre overtaking someone with a pretty decent speed difference.

9900rpm

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=83902
Ran into a fault which made the BSD/rear cross traffic system shut off, and stay off. I got codes for something with data. Cleared the codes and it worked again. Remembered that in the Xagico's documents, it said I needed to replace the rear wheels speed sensors with specific ones (he gav the part numbers, which I had here). installed and coded those, and it seems to be fine. The blind spot system seems to be working more often too. I'm thinking the original wheel speed sensors may have made the system buggy. Hopefully with these sensors, the system stays working.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
/off topic

I am really kind of surprised that the 'upgrade kits' manufacturers have not created and mass marketed self contained blind spot detector mirrors.

I would think that could be a huge seller in the aftermarket retrofit area.

(ie a generic mirror that can clip in and replace an OEM mirror with an applicable LED and radar sensor behind it, without even needing to replace the outside mirror cover or electronics).

Heck, or even just the sensor/LED that glues/stickies on to the existing mirror.

btw this post is now copyright and patent pending. :thanks:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back