Advice on weaponry

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I just want to make the point that that is not normal. Some of them are built so they don't fall out the front at all.

Jason

Don't worry, the offending round was safely towed outside of the environment. :)

A certain offspring of a certain person demonstrated that a 9mm round can indeed chamber and be fired from a .45 ACP with mangled case resulting. Not sure how the extractor managed to grab and hold the 9mm but not the 10mm but hey, what happened, happened.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I alternated between .22LR and .45 ACP tonight and here's the results 2handed:

b6fodeX.jpg

8uA7uTn.jpg

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I alternated between .22LR and .45 ACP tonight and here's the results 2handed:
Is CCI .22LR actually obtainable in quantity again, or is that "new old stock"? I haven't tried to buy lately.

Jason

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
It's nowhere near as cheap and plentiful as it once was but stores like gander mountain and cabelas usually have some in stock for decent ish prices:

http://m.gandermountain.com/Shooting/Ammunition/Rimfire

My SW22 likes mini mag solid 40gr which can be had for 8 cents or so per round.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I'm a very inexperienced novice where weaponry is concerned - I've only fired a gun (it had a long barrel, so it might have been a rifle) a few times, but I have a question for anyone who knows the answer: I'm aware that bullets spin in their travel, but is it possible to create a bullet with a "bias", so that it travels in a predetermined arc and is able to reliably hit an object around a corner? Please be gentle with the answer if this is a very dumb question (which I suspect that it is)!

Don

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Throw all that wet brass in the clothes dryer for 20 minutes. It will speed things up - plus it will assure you get the dryer in the divorce.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
lol, that's step 1 in our process (washing the brass, not getting a divorce ;) ). It comes back from the outdoor range all muddy, so we wash with a little dishwasher soap, then lay on towels to dry (fan in the back blowing on it makes a big difference!). Then dry tumble (this batch is going to take DAYS), then lube and resize/deprime, then wet tumble with stainless steel pins, lemishine and soap again. If that's pistol brass, it's ready to load at that point; rifle brass like .223 still gets swaged, trimmed, chamfered and deburred.

Reactions: Uwe

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
SW22 edits in progress but should still play:

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Picked up a keltech ksg shotgun recently.

It's pretty fun.

Not sure if its ~$900 fun though, lol.

That aside, it's neat being able to load up slugs on one tube and shot on the other, and being able to flip between them.

Along with of course the double total capacity of a normal shotgun.

some info @ http://www.range365.com/gun-review-kel-tec-ksg-vs-utas-uts-15

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That aside, it's neat being able to load up slugs on one tube and shot on the other, and being able to flip between them.
There have been times when I've been walking through the woods in VA when both deer and turkey were in season, when I wished I had a double-barreled shotgun, with a slug in one and shot in the other. Trouble with a KSG is you can only select the next one to get chambered; whatever you already have in the chamber is what goes first, and having to rack the gun before taking a shot is likely to scare off the prey.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Problem solved 100 years ago

FF to :28

Reactions: Uwe

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Good night at the range tonight, finally got my 10mm dialed in.
ZL0FE9f.jpg

Metric in Eric's honor:

env6G6T.jpg

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
A little .45 ACP comparison. I seem to shoot my P220 slightly better than my 1911:

QyW8c52.jpg

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
A zillion years ago (it was actually while slick willy was prez), I was all hot to buy a Para Ordnance P16.45, which was a double stack 1911. At the time there was a magazine ban in effect and PO had tooled up to make only magazines until the ban went into effect so they could supply their guns with two 16 round magazines.

Money in hand I went to a gun store that had them and handled one. I had also done a lot of reading on another gun I was curious about (a Sig P220) which was also present. The guy handed me the gun and after handling it I started pointing it at stuff. HOLY CRAP. It pointed so naturally with sights just falling into place every time I lifted it. Combined with stunning reliability and accuracy that can't be matched by even high dollar 1911s.

I've had that exact P220 in my possession ever since, and is quite possibly the only single physical thing I've had the whole time. It has somewhere around 5k rounds through it. It has never jammed ever.

My first trip was to an indoor shooting range. I started by shooting a Ruger P90 I owned (what a complete POS that gun was. I nicknamed it the jam-0-matic.). Then I switched to the P220 and shot two complete magazines. There were some whistles from guys in the next lane when I reeled the target back. One big jagged hole.

I've carried that gun until the finish wore off. On more than one occasion it has gone more than a year without being cleaned or shot. On range day I pull it out and shoot it without even blowing off the pocket fuzz and it always runs perfectly.

When ever people buy guns the first thing they do is bling them out. With handguns it's grips, followed by sights, and then people do ambidextrous stuff, extended this and that. As a red blooded American I instantly bought Houge grips. Tried them and realized those Germans and Austrians are some very, very specific types of designers (some might say a little jacked up). The grips came off and I've run that gun 100% bone stock since then. I even like the rear sight with the single vertical bar instead of two dots.

Mine is one of the "sheet metal" guns, where the slide is a VERY heavily abused piece of thick sheet metal with the firing pin block held in place with a roll pin. Funny how much people loved to trash on the sheet metal slide when the went to fully machined. You really have to look at it closely and understand manufacturing processes to even fathom it started as flat metal. History shows those old guns are as good as any.

I hate the double action. The whole DA/SA thing makes no sense. I pull the pistol and thumb the hammer back just like it was a Colt Peacemaker. To me the only use for the double action is if I get jumped and am in a physical struggle in which case we're talking contact distance and I'm just going to get my finger on the trigger and start pumping. Other than that, I'm straight up SA. I know they make the gun in a SAO version, with a thumb safety and I were in the market for one now that is the one I would get.

A number of years later I picked up a Sig P225 which is a 9mm single stack that seems like an 80% scale P220. One of my favorite stories with that thing was a trip to the range with my dad and my youngest kid (who was like 13 at the time). I had a brand new Remington 700 that I needed to break in, so I handed the P225 and two 50 rd boxes of ammo to the kid and pointed him at a steel target set up they had. Punk was back in five minutes asking if I had any more 9mm.

I've got both guns stripped right now so I can have the slides refinished in Cerakote and night sights put on. They'll be a matched pair when done.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Some post election celebratory range fun. I was hoping there would be lots of cheap used/consignment guns from people who panic-bought in expectation of a gun grabber seizing power. That was not the case, oh well.

On to the shooting:
GMNzPXL.jpg

Ngbns9a.jpg

dkxty0x.jpg

zc3rAIt.jpg

Back