Advice on weaponry

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
...dispensing with the raccoon after trapping it isn't a very smooth process just yet...
I'm in the market for a .22 semi-auto... concealed-carry...
Jason

Same problem here. The other night (2AM) I caught a skunk in my "havahart" and thought I'd keep it quiet, so I used my Ruger (Umarex) .177 rifle. (LOVE that thing). Mistake. Had to shoot it 7 times in the head before it stopped showing signs of life. Thank God it didn't spray ... My person was out of range, but awakened from sound sleep at 2AM I'd not reasoned out that the area would reek for a month... and it was right up against our house.

ruger 10/22 </endthread>

+1 for a rifle. You read my mind.

What I would buy for a do-it-all .22 pistol is a Ruger SR22. Not too big to conceal, not too small to aim accurately, and very reliable...
-Uwe-

+1 for a pistol (for carry and all-around use). You read my mind.

Ruger MKII (used, not available new :( ) or MKIII/22/45 was my first thought, but too big to everyday carry with the bull barrel which I'd recommend for accurate rapid-fire fun...

First off you must to be certain the rounds you are using are capable of humanely destroying the animal...
...The Browning Buck Mark is my personal favorite .22 pistol - I have 3 of them.

I'd talk to someone knowledgable at a GOOD sporting goods store or gun shop and explain your situation...
Then again we didn't have Stinger and Velocitor rounds back then either....

Hey Jake, how ya been! Been ages. Buckmarks are great; I chose Ruger just cause I liked the way the MK2 fit my hand and aesthetics.
RE sporting goods store; they'll sell you highest profit/spiffed/priced gun unless you get reeeeal lucky and find the only honest salesman out there...
Stinger and Velocitor rounds are too ricochet-crazy for up-close ("gang-style" :) ) animal execution, and using the hyper velocity rounds long range (>100 yards) can actually be less accurate from what I'm reading lately... although CCI IS my ammo of choice. Up to 100 yards, Stinger. Any .22 (including short) will destroy the brain of any varmint from 10 yards (I pick that distance to avoid getting splattered and for some chance of sighting accuracy. Unless it's a skunk, then go 25...)

HTH,
Tom

PS I responded before reading the whole thread, but will do so shortly so forgive any boo-boos that may cause... :)

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
RemingtonXP-100Mk02.jpg

In, say .22-250

Then you go back inside and say "Yeah I heard that too! I just went out to see what it was. Huh." Shrug.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I was with my family once, deer hunting in the breaks of the Snake River in very eastern Washington. My sister ended up gut shooting a doe. Not one to take that lightly, I tracked it for several hundred yards until it became obvious it had gone to ground in a wide area.

My dad and I set out with the intent of finding that doe. Since both of us had filled tags, we would not be legal walking around with deer rifles. I carried my dad's LC Smith 12 gauge side by side and a bird stamp. He carried his (really nice) USGI 1911 he carried in Vietnam and was "hiking".

We eventually discovered that poor deer had wandered into view of some drunk rednecks in a boat, who proceeded to mag dump from a pitching bass boat. They were proud. Seriously a hole in one ear, one hoof. The thing looked like Barry Seals.

Anyway we were making our way back through some trees when we look up and there was a porcupine. Now I'm not going to say I always approved of my dad's version of wildlife management, but he took the presence of the porcupine as a divine signal from our maker to test out a magazine full of 165 grain Silvertip. It was reputed to be the finest ammunition available for the zombie hoards and the like.

After 7 rounds of Silvertip he looked like he might be having some digestive discomfort but he didn't show any signs of expiring soon. So pops loads up again. Keep in mind the old man once held a worlds record shooting a pistol - he wasn't missing. Thirteen rounds and he finally let go of the tree branch and fell at our feet. Still needed finishing.

My point is, those animals are tougher than hell. You can get similar durability issues with racoons, badgers and even possums (which just sucks because they're ugly and retarded and don't really want to see you). I shot a metric shit ton of varmints over the years and prefer to hit them with something that makes them pop.

No suffering.

"Boy this grass tastes yummy tod-"

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
This is the reaction of the guys in the next lane at the range when I shot my 10mm last night:

HcqORAn.gif

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I bet. There's a reason the 10mm is preferred carry for Ted Nugent. What did you get?

Many years ago my dad brought his .264 Win Mag to the range. If you're a reloader you'll appreciate the 6.5mm bullet propelled by 81 grains of powder. Think of a .220 Swift made legal for Elk. It was a plain looking pre '64 Winchester model 70, with a 4X scope on it.

I look up at one point and this gentleman is standing nearby waiting to ask "I've got to know, what is that thing? Because every time I start putting pressure on my trigger that thing goes off and makes me jump".

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Since we were having an awesome streak of spring weather this weekend, I took a 1/2 gallon paper milk carton with a little water in the bottom for weight and set it about 15 yards from our deck in the back yard. Plenty of dirt for a backstop, plus about a mile of woods to the next road. Using my glorified Red Ryder with the un-calibrated red/green dot, it took about 8 shots before I found the target. With the railing as a brace, I put six in a row into the milk carton before my arm muscles started to cramp up from pumping the gun between shots. From that distance, I couldn't see where I was hitting on the target...only the noise of hitting it. It probably would have taken 10-20 more shots if I wanted to try to rough-in the red/green dot, so I left it as-is and the milk carton in the yard for another day. (I don't wish my low blood pressure on anyone.) :(

One thing that I didn't realize when pacing out to drop the carton was exactly how small it would look from 15 yards away. I feel lucky to have found it at all with the small size and dot being so far out of whack.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Reactions: Uwe

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
You need to discover "dieseling" your air rifle. Just saying.

WD-40 may be involved.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Damn me, for posting that picture of an XP-100.

I've wanted one for, oh, 35+ years. Just found one about 50 miles away in 7mmBR.

Time to dig out the load data.

Reactions: Uwe

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Well, truth be told, even though I lost all my weapons in a boating accident I'm sitting on a "sufficient" quantity of powder/primers, etc.

The piece itself requires a note with Grover Cleveland's picture on it. I've done worse things.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Here's two 5 shot groups and one 10 shot group freehand at 25 yards with the SW22 Victory pistol using the included fiber optic iron sights:

AqkZajt.jpg

It looks like 3 inches is about the best I can do for a 10 shot group without giving up coffee or something. :banghead:

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Off hand 3" at 25 yards is more than sufficient accuracy for defensive purposes.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
WBu1PlC.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Good day at the range yesterday:

DEu96KX.jpg

Random Frenchman shooting a 10mm GLOCK at 100 yd. :)

cOYkoaS.jpg

Someone donated? a very nice little pistol rest to the range. I go fist sized groups with my .22 pistol using the iron sights. Need to scope that thing now.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
the only bad day at the range involves rolls of gauze and a trip to the ER.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
A side benefit to range trips:

dlR7s3Z.jpg

Recycling is the right thing to do for mother earth. :)

Back