Status
Not open for further replies.

paddyz1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273783
I want to fit a pair of bi zenons to our 2017 Scirocco (bought second hand with 5000miles on the clock)
I spoke to VW parts dept and they told me that you cannot fit them to a car that did not have them originally fitted at manufacture.
Can anyone shed some light on this? (pun not intended lol) as i do wish to fit them.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Technically possible? Yes, for sure.
Feasible? No idea, from the first sounds of it you don't have a lot of experience in this.
Affordable? That's up to you to decide.

Maybe it's good to have a good google session about bi-xenon retrofit for the Scirocco (or Golf 6, that's mostly the same, electrically).

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
VAG always say that a retrofit isn't possible (what they mean is VAG don't offer a kit to do it, which isn't the same thing...).

Do your research, and I strongly suspect that you will find several owners who have done the bi-Xenon retrofit and some will even have posted a How-To guide - usually on an owners forum somewhere.

Last edited:

paddyz1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273783
Affordable yes. Being able to do it yes.
Knoledge of particular car....well i own a 2010 scirocco and we pick up our second scirocco on saturday.
Googling this forum gives 3 options, non of which tell me anything.

langers2k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224085
At a guess, based on other VAG cars you will need:
- 2x new headlights with ballasts and control modules
- suspension level sensors
- AFS control module
- headlight washers
- possibly a new BCM

You should find the wiring diagram for a similar aged Scirocco with bi-xenons. Easiest way is to find the VIN of such a car and use https://erwin.volkswagen.de/

If you can find an autoscan for a similar aged Scirocco with bi-xenons, that'll also help with control module part numbers and coding.

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
how about scan so we can see if it's still PQ35 or MQB

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
At a guess, based on other VAG cars you will need:
- 2x new headlights with ballasts and control modules
- suspension level sensors
- AFS control module
- headlight washers
- possibly a new BCM

You should find the wiring diagram for a similar aged Scirocco with bi-xenons. Easiest way is to find the VIN of such a car and use https://erwin.volkswagen.de/

If you can find an autoscan for a similar aged Scirocco with bi-xenons, that'll also help with control module part numbers and coding.

This is pretty much it. Also what I would suggest that the original poster should buy some time to erwin to get the wiring diagrams. And one hw to the list are the headlight plugs. Those are different on halogen and bixenon. You can find adapters on the market quite cheap, also ready made wiring is available to purchase, no need to build it yourself.

Depending if the lights are bending or not, it is easy or easier :)

Bending AFS lights need additional AFS control units on the headlights and some more wiring to the plug. Dummy bixenons only have ballast and less wiring. Also coding is easier on plain xenons compared to AFS ones. AFS lights have SVM managed coding, where as normal has soft coding.
Lot's of sample codes available on the internet though so shouldn't be a problem.

I did this to our Golf plus two years ago and even the car has AFS bixenons, it's still one of the easiest retrofits to do. Can be expensive if you need to purchase brand new parts, but if you source them from ebay and local breakers like I did, it is not that bad.

paddyz1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273783
Thanks i will do an auto scan tomorrow when i pick it up.
Just to avoid confusion the 2010 that we already own has bi zenons fitted.
The 2017 that we collect doea not.
I want to fit a complete pair of headlight units purchased from VW to the 2017.
I dont want the cheap rubbish that sends light everywhere except where you want it to go..
Why would i need headlight washers?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Because in the UK headlights above a certain brightness (which includes the bi-Xenons on the Scirocco) are illegal unless headlight washers and self levelling are fitted.

You can pass the MOT test without either, but the MOT test does not confirm legality just checks specific points.

langers2k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224085

Assuming you are in the UK as per your location setting, it's unlikely to be road legal without headlight washers.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 don't allow any HID/xenon lighting, only halogen bulbs.

The ECE regulations supersede them and do allow for HID/xenon lighting.

However, in most cases, xenon systems over 2000lm will require both levelling and headlight washer systems to meet the ECE regs and be road legal.

I think the 2017 Scirocco uses D3S xenons (~3200lm) and a factory fitted system will have headlight washers. Ergo, to do this retrofit properly and to keep it road legal, you should also fit headlight washers.

Just to point out, being able to pass an MOT without headlight washers does not mean the car is road legal...

paddyz1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273783
Thanks and yes i am in the UK.
The new car does not have a washer system fitted so it looks like either a cut out on the bumper or new bumper. Neither of which i wish to do now at this point.
As for self leveling i would of assumed everything would be all intergrated into the headlight unit as a whole. Correct me if i am wrong.
It is looking like more hassle than its worth.

langers2k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224085
As for self leveling i would of assumed everything would be all intergrated into the headlight unit as a whole. Correct me if i am wrong.

Typically, you'll have a suspension level sensor on the rear and possibly the front suspension, this is model and spec dependent.

These sensors provide the relative suspension heights to the xenon range/AFS controller, which will then communicate with control modules on each headlight to actually move the xenon projectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back