A8 D3 EPB: Can I reset the Pad thickness easily with VCDS? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
I've just started getting EPB alerts for the rear pads on my D3 A8:

Code:
Address 53: Parking Brake        Labels: 4E0-910-801.clb
   Part No SW: 4E0 910 801 A    HW: 4E0 907 801 
   Component: EPB  AV1C1010   H01 1010  
   Revision: AV1C1010    
   Coding: 0000221
   Shop #: WSC 13765 210 01865
   VCID: 1D31BE15C4600FAF07-8048

2 Faults Found:
02596 - Rear Brake Pads Worn 
            002 - Lower Limit Exceeded
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100010
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 6
                    Reset counter: 42
                    Mileage: 367920 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2017.06.05
                    Time: 14:14:55

Freeze Frame:
                    Voltage: 12.42 V
                    Count: 60

The MVBs show me that the thickness is 2mm, which is what I think triggers this DTC, but visually the thickness looks a lot more like 5 or 6mm!

Is there a simple process with VCDS to reset it to 4mm, for example, to get a few more months use before they really need doing?

Thanks - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What do you have in Adaptation Channel 06?

-Uwe-

Ashraf6119

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174194
Is the inner and outer brake pad thickness same.......? It could be the inner one is bit more lower than the outer one that's why the warning is triggered so, if you are just being sure of 5mm to 6mm thickness by looking at the outer brake pad the inner might not be that thick.......
Can we please have the full auto scan.........

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
What do you have in Adaptation Channel 06?

-Uwe-

When I looked in Adaption Channel 6 the value was 8!

Not sure I understand this as the MVB thought the thickness was 2.

Thanks - Julian

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Is the inner and outer brake pad thickness same.......? It could be the inner one is bit more lower than the outer one that's why the warning is triggered so, if you are just being sure of 5mm to 6mm thickness by looking at the outer brake pad the inner might not be that thick.......
Can we please have the full auto scan.........

Thanks for your reply; you make a valid point about inner and outer thickness as I can only see from my casual glance that the outer pads seem to be about 5mm.

Not sure how a Full scan of my other ECUs will help though ... :confused:

Thanks - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks for your reply; you make a valid point about inner and outer thickness as I can only see from my casual glance that the outer pads seem to be about 5mm.
I would pull the rear wheels and have a look.

If they're all still OK, I would try put a new value reflecting the current minimum thickness into adaptation channel 06 and then do the Function Test. You might have to repeat this a few times. You might even have to do the Open and Close (as though you were doing a pad change) first, I'm not really sure. However, those old A8 EPB modules were fussy and it can be a real pain to get rid of that fault even with a pad change...

-Uwe-

Ashraf6119

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174194

Not sure how a Full scan of my other ECUs will help though ... :confused:

Thanks - Julian

The reason I asked you to post your full scan was as module's with long coding it would be helpful to other members if any one loss they coding so, that when a search is done they can find the software coding here in your post.........;) other than that there is nothing much.........I personally think if every post has its full scan posted it would be very easy for members to find software coding when one losses its software coding.......

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The reason I asked you to post your full scan was as module's with long coding it would be helpful to other members if any one loss they coding so, that when a search is done they can find the software coding here in your post.........;) other than that there is nothing much.........I personally think if every post has its full scan posted it would be very easy for members to find software coding when one losses its software coding.......
I'm confident Julian has already posted a full scan from this car.

<Time passes while Uwe searches>

Yep. here it is.

-Uwe-

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Some sort of resolution ...

I would pull the rear wheels and have a look.

If they're all still OK, I would try put a new value reflecting the current minimum thickness into adaptation channel 06 and then do the Function Test. You might have to repeat this a few times. You might even have to do the Open and Close (as though you were doing a pad change) first, I'm not really sure. However, those old A8 EPB modules were fussy and it can be a real pain to get rid of that fault even with a pad change...

-Uwe-

Don't have capability to remove wheels - inappropriate tools, inappropriate location, etc. :cry:

However, I did find the Ross Tech Video on the EPB and tried putting '4' in adaptation channel 06 and ran the function test successfully - 4 times. But still couldn't clear faults and the MVBs now showed the pad thickness as '0'! :banghead:

Saw comments that old A8s were a pain and decided that the time had come to get the local Audi professionals involved. Accordingly; I've had the pads changed and asked for the old pads for inspection. Outside pads WERE 5mm; inside pads [that I couldn't see] were about 2-3mm. So they needed changing anyway and the pain was taken away by paying someone to do it.:(

And the fault codes have gone now ...

Code:
Address 53: Parking Brake        Labels: 4E0-910-801.clb
   Part No SW: 4E0 910 801 A    HW: 4E0 907 801 
   Component: EPB  AV1C1010   H01 1010  
   Revision: AV1C1010    
   Coding: 0000221
   Shop #: WSC 00011 210 01865
   VCID: 1D31BE15C4600FAF6F-8048

No fault code found.

Reactions: Uwe

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Have you checked what the values are now in, MWB 001.4 and adaptation channel 6 ?

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Measurements checked ...

Have you checked what the values are now in, MWB 001.4 and adaptation channel 6 ?

Just been and checked :)

MVB 1/4 and Adaptation Channel 6 both have a value of '13'

So that poses the question 'Do both values get decreased as the pad thickness goes down?' and if "yes" the question, 'Why do we need separate value fields'?

Julian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back