Attempting to run VCDS on M1 Mac

Abec7

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=196628
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2020 M1 MacBook Air and am now starting to learn about the challenges of getting Windows and therefore VCDS to run on it. Currently, I'm trying to run Windows 11 Pro Insider ARM through UTM virtualization. I'm not able to get the VCDS installer to load the drivers for legacy interface. I have the Micro-CAN USB cable. Any advice with be wonderful. TIA.

Phil

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Although we consider it "unsupported", there are people who've gotten VCDS to work just fine on an M1 Mac, I believe with Parallels. The installer even includes an ARM CPU specific build of VCDS. But that's with one of our current interfaces, which enumerate as HID devices and thus don't require the legacy drivers. I'm not aware of any way to get drivers for the legacy interfaces to work on a machine using an ARM CPU, even one natively running Windows.

-Uwe-

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
I run VCDS on a Win7 VM with Parallels with an Intel i5 MacBook. My son runs it on Win10 with an i7 MacBook. Works just fine in both cases. Parallels is also proven on the M1 silicon but I have not tried that with VCDS.

BennyG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48565
Thought I’d add to this, I use VM ware to run a win11 arm build on my m3 pro Mac.

The driver doesn’t copy to VCDS directory during install.

Tried to copy from a normal win10 x86/64 machine and the drivers don’t install.

I think if the driver installed, it would work fine. Happy to help with any testing if you need it.

It’s no biggie for me as I have access to plenty non Mac machines.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
x86/x64 drivers are not going to work in a machine with an ARM CPU.

And no, we're not going try to make ARM drivers for interfaces we stopped selling 7+ years ago.

-Uwe-

BennyG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48565
Maybe if Audi make another supercharged engine il consider upgrading 😀

Abec7

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=196628
Appreciate all the replies. I'm aware that Apple isn't supported, so have no expectations and simply appreciate any and all help. I had been using VCDS on my previous Intel Apple laptop with no issues for years and at this point that's about the only reason I'm keeping it around. Would like to be able to get VCDS working on my current laptop, hopefully without purchasing more software. The Win11 ARM acknowledges my Ross-Tech interface, but doesn't appear to communicate with VCDS. In the device manager it's listed under "Other devices."

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Would like to be able to get VCDS working on my current laptop, hopefully without purchasing more software. The Win11 ARM acknowledges my Ross-Tech interface, but doesn't appear to communicate with VCDS. In the device manager it's listed under "Other devices."
x86/x64 drivers are not going to work in a machine with an ARM CPU.

And no, we're not going try to make ARM drivers for interfaces we stopped selling 7+ years ago.
It's not a question of more software, your old Mac was Intel and your new one is ARM, so the drivers simply don't exist.

If you want to run VCDS on your new ARM Mac then you need to upgrade your VCDS interface to a current one, i.e. a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET, using the Ross-Tech upgrade program.

SaVAGeSoot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=568688
Dude only has New Mac money.... no new VCDS interface money ;)

BennyG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48565
Dude only has New Mac money.... no new VCDS interface money ;)
I mean, its not like Windows didn't release its first ARM OS in 2012, which is before Hex v2 existed ;)

My work pay for my Mac and we get free Vmware as we are a partner. Its no skin off my nose, its just I don't carry my shitty windows tablet around everywhere with me :D

SaVAGeSoot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=568688
Don't drive/own a heap, and there will be no need for you to carry a tablet or diagnostic tool around with you everywhere :p (although, discussing this is more effort than actually doing it)

BennyG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=48565
Don't drive/own a heap, and there will be no need for you to carry a tablet or diagnostic tool around with you everywhere :p (although, discussing this is more effort than actually doing it)
I don't drive a 'heap'.

Granted it's not spanking new but a b8.5 S4 is no 'heap'. The other day I just had 'parking brake malfunction' on the dash and typically, no tablet with me. Fixed itself on the way home though. But would have been nice to plug in my cable on my lunch break.

SaVAGeSoot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=568688
My point was that unless it is a heap that you constantly have to blow codes off of, because it's a POS, or you're neglecting maintaining it, there's no need to always have a diagnostic tool with you all the time.... the majority of codes\failures\error that happen when you do NOT drive a heap or POS, are not the type that won't allow you to get home, or continue going on about your day, or force you into limp mode, etc. Most faults that "just happen" will annoy you with a MIL at most. (at least in my experience of driving everything from $500 VW beaters to my current Touareg)

So if your argument is that you have access to plenty of windblows machine, but you just don't want to be inconvenience by having to have one kicking around your vehicle, but also don't want to drop a little on upgrading your interface to gain both more functionality while also eliminating the need for said windblows hardware, you won't get any pity from me. :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So if your argument is that you have access to plenty of windblows machine, but you just don't want to be inconvenience by having to have one kicking around your vehicle,
Eh, that's what a HEX-NET is for. Then you can use a browser on whatever device you happen to have with you, even your phone, to do simple stuff like checking and clearing fault codes with VCDS-Mobile. Keep the HEX-NET in your glovebox. Your phone is with you anyway, right?

-Uwe-

ZPrime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=69222
Although we consider it "unsupported", there are people who've gotten VCDS to work just fine on an M1 Mac, I believe with Parallels. The installer even includes an ARM CPU specific build of VCDS. But that's with one of our current interfaces, which enumerate as HID devices and thus don't require the legacy drivers. I'm not aware of any way to get drivers for the legacy interfaces to work on a machine using an ARM CPU, even one natively running Windows.
Add another to the list of VCDS working correctly on an Apple Silicon Mac, by running Windows in a VM.
Or at least, I'm able to talk to my shiny new Hex-Net with it, I don't actually have a VW currently so can't fully put it through its paces yet... I'm shopping for a Mk7.5 Golf R. ;) Guess I could go try OBD2 mode on my Bavarian car...

More specifics:
M2 Max 16" MBP
Model Identifier: Mac14,6
Model Number: MNWA3LL/A
Using VMWare Fusion 13.5.1 on MacOS 14.4.1 (Sonoma), running Win11 Arm inside it.

I really appreciate that there's a native arm64 binary for VCDS, too!

Tharkhold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=311665
I'll also add my case as a successful VCDS on an ARM mac situation.

Macbook Pro 14" 2021 running Ventura 13.5.2 (22G91)
Parallels Version 18.3.2 (53621)
Win11 ARM ISO "Tiny Win11"

No issues installing/drivers. I have the MPB wifi bridged so the Windows VM can access the interweb. I also did allow a share between a native mac folder with Windows.

I'm also using a third party USB "Y" cable that has both USB-A and USB-C connectors on the computer side for the MPB, hotglued to the dongle just in case so it doesnt pop off:

Last edited:
Back