Newbie alert

Tony g

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a very old VCDS (10.6.4) and I used it today for an hour then it wouldnt recognise the dongle again. Software is on a mini CD so I uninstalled and tried again but nothing. Is it able to brought to life again of just too old (like me) . I have tries the verify link but Theres no short number on my unit but the long number off the screen is hexc715-[redacted]-5ad6 I need to try and fix Seat Ibiza with brake lights stuck on (body module?)
Thanks Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Perhaps a couple of pictures would also help.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Theres no short number on my unit but the long number off the screen is hexc715-[redacted]-5ad6
What you have there is an ancient clone/pirate copy of a HEX+CAN. The only thing we can suggest is that you purchase a legitimate VCDS system. UK distributors:

-Uwe-

Tony g

Reaction score
Software on a CD is clear indicator of a clone as genuine cables use software downloaded from Ross-Tech direct
has that always been the case? I'm not knowingly using pirate stuff (or was) I always assumed the ross tech stuff was a ripped version of the vag stuff hence the instruction not to go online lol.
I doubt ill buy another real or fake for the amount of uses I'd need it.
Cheers

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Instructions not to go online is another key indicator of a pirate clone cable. The clones cannot accept an update for genuine Ross Tech software over the net and are stuffed if that occurs. As far as i am aware genuine Ross Tech software has always been download and not supplied on a CD but i am sure Uwe can confirm.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Ancient yes but not a clone in my opinion. I paid £60 from the UK 10yrs ago
Intellectual property has nothing to do with "your opinion" ; you purchased a fake/clone so get over it!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ancient yes but not a clone in my opinion.
Well, the serial number that you posted (which was redacted) leaves no room for doubt.

Also, having paid £60 for something that sold for $349 back then doesn't sound good either. Used HEX+CAN interfaces bring three-figure prices in the secondary market to this day -- assuming of course that they are legitimate. ;)

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I always assumed the ross tech stuff was a ripped version of the vag stuff hence the instruction not to go online
ZYJh90K.jpg

-Uwe-

woodardhsd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66523
Is there something specific about the serial number that indicates that? My serial is similar ( hexc715-*********-5bcd.) I previously had a genuine HEX-USB, purchased direcly from Ross-Tech back in 2006 or 2007. I upgraded to a HEX-V2 in 2020, but never got around to registering it like I should.

MrMeeseeks

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/SN
Is there something specific about the serial number that indicates that? My serial is similar ( hexc715-*********-5bcd.) I previously had a genuine HEX-USB, purchased direcly from Ross-Tech back in 2006 or 2007. I upgraded to a HEX-V2 in 2020, but never got around to registering it like I should.
Yes, RossTech that manufactures the adapters and software, also own and run this site. They can check the serial number against their records of adapters they have manufactured.

They are going to see a serial number and say to themselves "Hmmm, that serial looks odd, we don't appear to have it on our records, let alone manufactured it."
Like a bouncer on a club door, "If your name's not on the list, You aint coming in"

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You're good now. Problem was, you joined the forum way back when using an e-mail address we didn't have in our records at that time.

-Uwe-

Back