HVAC IN HELL please save me from heat :-) 2010 B8

B82010

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248569
Im not a noob in Diagnosing and fixing cars myself, I built my last daily driven TT 03 G35 to 630whp from the ground up almost all myself with just my dad and a 1 car garage.

I am however EXTREMELY new to the whole LIN system and all of the electronic modules that AUDI uses,and considering I just got my vagcom two days ago, Id imagine most wouldn't know much more.

All im asking for is a little guidance of what to look for and what I can do at home. I dont expect anything from anyone, and am most appreciative for every and any bit of help

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I did not know that a multimeter would not work on LIN, but when I used the multimeter on the 3pin connector itself, the ground was good, the 12v was good, and the LIN wire did read up to 10 on the DC setting of the multimeter.

when we then put the positive prong into the POWER port of the 3port plug, NOTHING showed up. Not when the car was on, or off, not when HVAC controls where on or off...
Please elaborate. Are you saying you disassembled one of your spare G395 sensors and used it as a test harness to verify the vehicle wiring?

It's entirely possible you have a power problem instead of a LIN problem, but your earlier post led us away from that direction.

Jason

B82010

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248569
Thanks Jay, I should have explained it more, I was just excited that I might have found a least a little bit of the issue so I typed it in fast and short.lol

The TSB said to pull the connector off of the pressure sensor, and test with Multimeter. So thats what we just did, that showed zero power to the 12v power wire that goes from the fuse to the connector.

when I said earlier that the ground was good and the power, that was about us just checking if the actual connector part itself was good (tsb mentioned that if the connectors in the plug are corroded they wont make contact and can loose signal)

B82010

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248569
A power issue could explain why the G395 sensor has no communication, yet the air quality sensor does still.

and would explain why when I used a temporary JUMP wire for the LIN wire, Like Dana mentioned, that nothing changed, because perhaps there was no power for the sensor at all?

B82010

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248569
1. CHECK PRESSURE SENSOR
(a) Check the wire harness.
(1) Disconnect the connector of the pressure
sensor.
(2) Measure the resistance of the wire harness
side connector.
Standard resistance
Tester Connection Specified Condition
1 - Body ground Below 1 Ω
(3) Turn the ignition switch ON.
(4) Measure the voltage of the wire harness side
connector.

Standard voltage
Tester Connection Specified Condition
1 - 3 4.7 to 5.3 V
If the result is not as specified, replace the
pressure sensor.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Im not a noob in Diagnosing and fixing cars myself, I built my last daily driven TT 03 G35 to 630whp from the ground up almost all myself with just my dad and a 1 car garage.

I am however EXTREMELY new to the whole LIN system and all of the electronic modules that AUDI uses,and considering I just got my vagcom two days ago, Id imagine most wouldn't know much more.

All im asking for is a little guidance of what to look for and what I can do at home. I dont expect anything from anyone, and am most appreciative for every and any bit of help

Prepare to verify!

OKAY then..............Your aforementioned WD POST #30 ...........didn't look ok when I looked at mine based on scan.

Just which climatronic do you have?

Do you have a G238 in the intake air area of blower motor?
Air Quality Sensor -G238-
Air Quality Sensor -G238- is installed only on vehicles with a Comfort version A/C system
You were speculating here..........on LIN.

G395 is in front of car on condenser.
Are you sure the ground wire is capable of carrying the needed current since 4.0MM .........and not just a tone of the meter continuity tester? ( Current track 59 Junction 368/639 ok? (* T3t1 ) ( PIN 1 )

LIN BUS WIRE Current track 58 from sensor to J519 ( PIN4 ) (*T16b/4) to Junction ( B549 ) PIN 2 (*T3t2 ) G395

Have you observed the work around for this track? From wire being violet to Yellow/green?

( PIN 3) ( *T3t/3 ) Current track 60 to STARGATE 60 to ST FUSE Panel 1 and SC12 FUSE 12a on fuse panel C fuse 12

That would be on a 2010 drivers side left hand drive ST1 panel furthest left of the three.

G639 is in kick plate driver side if you wanna inspect it the other is buried in harness.

What's the poop on the G107???????

There are different versions of the Sunlight Photo Sensor -G107-, therefore make sure the allocation is correct, refer to the Parts Catalog. If a Sunlight Photo Sensor -G107- is installed that is not designated for that vehicle (there is a different signal than the one designated in this Climatronic Control Module -J255- A/C display and control head), the Climatronic Control Module -J255- A/C display and control head cannot evaluate the signal from the Sunlight Photo Sensor -G107- and the A/C system is not regulated correctly.
00797 - Sunlight Photo Sensor (G107)
009 - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101001
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 92
Mileage: 87962 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.05.30
Time: 19:09:55

Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 33.0°C
Temperature: 31.0°C
Output: 300 W
Output: 300 W

Looks like we have fault with a short to ground...........

And then..............So what exact part # did you install for G395 ........hopefully not its look alike G65 with incorrect WAVE

The cooling output cannot be checked when the A/C Pressure/Temperature Sensor -G395- is removed. The Climatronic Control Module -J255- display and control head does not switch on the A/C compressor.
The refrigerant circuit remains closed, connection with valve.
Only the A/C Pressure/Temperature Sensor -G395- may be installed on this vehicle (the data exchange occurs via the LIN Bus), refer to the Parts Catalog.
A High Pressure Sensor -G65- cannot be installed on this vehicle (it only delivers square-wave signals), refer to Parts Catalog.

Last edited:

B82010

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248569
Yesir I do have the Air quality sensor Right under the windshield cowl, that is in the airbox that has the blower motor in it. (what didnt look ok on the diagram?)

I installed G395 PN#4h0959126A pressure sensor(the one with black housing, not the grey housing which send the wrong signal. And replaced the Oring as well.

As far as the Photo Sensor, I removed that when changing the cracked vent that hold it in place, and just have not received the new one yet. Audi Tech told me that it would not affect the AC, but is that not the case? (ac did not work even when the photo was in, and was not showing a fault for it)

The TSB showed a VERY vague picture of only one of the 3 wires from the sensor. So I had to trace them myself with that crappy single page diagram I had access to before my FSM stopped working.

So I manually traced the wires by taking the fender off.

The violet Wire that is wire 2 in the G395 harness goes to the J519 unit.
The Brown wire is a ground and goes to near the A pillar
The grey with red striped wire is the Power which goes to that fuse you mentioned.

So it not having power going through that wire on the plug side, does or does not mean that could be the entire issue?

you are way way more advanced with every aspect of this, so some of the Lingo that you used I have not figured out yet, but I tried to answer your questions as best as I could with what I have and know right to this point.

really thank you again,Im sure its not fun having to walk some stranger through this which probably is frustrating.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
So it not having power going through that wire on the plug side, does or does not mean that could be the entire issue?

Fuses are the first and foremost thing to check..........

Okay great now we know what wiring diagram at least.

Yes please check fuse 12 and verify the ground is adequate......for carrying current not just a tone.

You will note the different ground positions in the WD and is why you didn't get a G238 fault as you speculated earlier.

G238 uses 370 than to the A pillar.
G395 uses 368 than to the A pillar. ( I would investigate this point )

Let me know when you have a actual manual.....
No one should be PM'ing me offering to pay for WD or repair manuals because the answer is NO.

Go to Erwin and pay for it and download it yourself

Last edited:

Robski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=111643
then I wasted my 400$ for the cable and a week of being hot in my car ya know
you have spent this, offered to pay people, I just can't understand why this is not in a workshop & done by now ?

When you're not in the car & it's 'hot' do you walk round in an air conditioned bubble ? , just asking because you seem to be using it as a sympathy tool.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There have been times in my life when I've been highly averse to taking my cars to shops to get worked on.

Heck, the fact that VCDS exists is mostly due to that aversion. :cool:

I've gotten over it though. :D

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
you have spent this, offered to pay people, I just can't understand why this is not in a workshop & done by now ?

When you're not in the car & it's 'hot' do you walk round in an air conditioned bubble ? , just asking because you seem to be using it as a sympathy tool.
Because she wants to fix it herself, for reasons of her own, which are her business.

She bought a VCDS interface, has been posting all the data we asked for, and has generally been doing the legwork we asked for.

Jason

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Because he wants to fix it himself, for reasons of his own, which are his business.

He bought a VCDS interface, has been posting all the data we asked for, and has generally been doing the legwork we asked for.

Jason

I believe this is a Chick.........:p

I am impressed so far........ just need her to do some more homework so she doesn't get hurt.

Safety first!

Manual and some basics are in order!

Question Nicole ?
Did you unplug G238 and see if it created a DTC since it shared the LIN as a cross reference?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607

Go to http://erwin.audiusa.com and register, and then buy a $35 day-pass. Login, enter your VIN to search. Save the contents of the 'Vehicle Data' page, so you'll have your PR-code list (the equipment your particular car left the factory with). Then download and save pretty much every PDF you can get your hands on in the Repair Manual, Wiring Diagram and Training sections that are relevant to your car. Don't worry about trying to read it all on the spot, just make the most of your day-pass by saving them offline.

If you do that, you'll now have enough bedtime reading material to choke an elephant. Start with the Self-Study Programs... very good stuff.

Also, now that you have proper wiring diagrams, watch Jef's excellent two-part video (one, two) on how to read wiring diagrams.

Jason

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Women coming out of the woodwork here now. I'm going to have to start watching my manners in the Bar.

Jason

Not me.......... I am Autocratic Jack

I am mostly concerned with safety around the HP Freon at Schrader valve and using proper fused circuits or overlay procedures.

It concerns me that we have no power but fuse is good for internal harness issue.

Nicole
Do we have power at fuse 12 on both sides.......... to indicate this........ or are we dead to the fuse itself?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Why do you think that? ... I haven't met a whole lot of chicks named 'Nick'. ;)
Neither have I, but both Jack and I have gotten PMs from that account signed 'Nicole B.'

Jason

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I can straighten this out; Nick and I spoke on the phone and he is male. :-)

On that note - Uwe suggested using my middle name years ago in our Support email and that helped.

B82010

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248569
Hah, I am a girl,My name is Nicole, my Dad is Nick, Pretty sure he wanted a boy to Name Nick JR(funny, I know), and a lot of the reason probably why he taught me so much car stuff.

He is involved in this as well, he does the calls to rosstech since he understands more than I do about the electronics.

Now that that's cleared up, to the Jerk that posted about me whining, I was in a bad car accident years ago, have neurological damage and my body does not cool itself properly, so YES this is a huge deal for me, being my only car and I am a Realtor so it is not just hindering my personal life, but I cant drive people around in a sweat box :-)

B82010

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248569
I am the primary person on this, Im doing the forum posts, with some guidance from him when needed. I dont want people to think that I am not capable just because I have boobs, that is not the case :) I love cars, and love to learn, even if it means butting heads with people that dont think I can do it.

I am confident with the right tools, and the wonderful input from you guys and rosstechs amazing support, that I will get this fixed.

I will download the manual again this evening

Back