HexNetConfig on MacOS

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I using VCDS on my MacPro with a Bootcamp Win 10 64bit and it works brilliantly. I sacrificed 80gb of my SSD and you can boot whatever OS you like

IMHO running BootCamp is a lot simpler than a VM provided you specified your Mac with a large enough SSD to to able to sacrifice 80GB.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
IMHO running BootCamp is a lot simpler than a VM provided you specified your Mac with a large enough SSD to to able to sacrifice 80GB.
Depends what you mean by "simpler". It is certainly more compatible. No worries about which device is assigned to which OS and no hypervisor or host OS to slow down hardware accesses. However, it is also less convenient because you must shut down MacOS in before you can run Windows.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
However, it is also less convenient because you must shut down MacOS in before you can run Windows.
True, but you don't have to be some kind of computer guru to setup BootCamp, I looked into the VM route and even though I've worked with PCs since the mid 1980's decided to walk away.

Reactions: Uwe

Limalex

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=260940
I got 1TB SSD so 80 Gb not really an issue.

I tyried VMWare befor but the new version does not support RossTech's new USB controler program and whatever i did it just does not recognised the interface.

There are must be a good VM program which supports VCDS as VMWare did it , but if there is a new wersion there is no guarantie it would wok.
I bougt VMWare just to use VCDS to avboid dopuble boot,but basicly throw out my money.

If I would be dealing vith VCDS on a daily basis a separte laptop would be much better option.

Bootcamp does not perfect and Windows already killed one of my older MacAir. Many times I need to reboot to be able to use it properly. Sometimes Win bots, but cannot see the cursor or getting error massages.

I cannot imagine what would happen if someone would manage to run a config file straight on OSX. Even if it possible the two system does not like each other and I belive many issues would come up down the road.

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
I got 1TB SSD so 80 Gb not really an issue.

I tyried VMWare befor but the new version does not support RossTech's new USB controler program and whatever i did it just does not recognised the interface.

There are must be a good VM program which supports VCDS as VMWare did it , but if there is a new wersion there is no guarantie it would wok.
I bougt VMWare just to use VCDS to avboid dopuble boot,but basicly throw out my money.

If I would be dealing vith VCDS on a daily basis a separte laptop would be much better option.

Bootcamp does not perfect and Windows already killed one of my older MacAir. Many times I need to reboot to be able to use it properly. Sometimes Win bots, but cannot see the cursor or getting error massages.

I cannot imagine what would happen if someone would manage to run a config file straight on OSX. Even if it possible the two system does not like each other and I belive many issues would come up down the road.
I'm - still - using WMware Fusion running a Windows 10 Pro (v1909) without any problems.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I'm - still - using WMware Fusion running a Windows 10 Pro (v1909) without any problems.
With what macOS version, 10.15 (Catalina) seems to have many security related changes that have required updates to many utilities.

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
With what macOS version, 10.15 (Catalina) seems to have many security related changes that have required updates to many utilities.
macOS 10.15.1 Catalina on a 2018 MacBook Pro
WMware Fusion Pro 11.5.1

premium

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247892
Bootcamp MBP with 64 bit win 10! Just works with no issues!! :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Bootcamp MBP with 64 bit win 10! Just works with no issues!! :)
Back close to 10 years ago, when the MacBook Air was by far the slimmest, lightest laptop computer around, I got one as my travelling machine. I immediately sent it to Boot Camp and it made a damn fine Windows machine from then on, including for VCDS. I never used MacOS on it. It lasted six years before the SSD gave up the ghost on the last night I was in Germany for the Automechanika in 2016. I was debating replacing the SSD, but since the machine only had 2 GB of RAM that couldn't be upgraded, I decided it was better to get something newer and went back to Dell. :o

-Uwe-

Back