WTF Emissions DELETES! The smelly Garbage can dumped on Motorsports! WTF

rucklet

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14863
I'm tired of this exhaust shit now. VW's final solution:

You f.......g americans drive pickup triúcks with 6-liters gasoline corvette (I like Corvette )
v8's 2 gallons a mile and shit or similar. Talk about exhaust.... I feel co nspiracy!

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah this is what asshole deletes get you ...........

http://jalopnik.com/is-the-epa-trying-to-ban-the-conversion-of-street-cars-1758013542

[h=1]Is The EPA Trying To Ban The Conversion Of Street Cars Into Race Cars?[/h]How far would the Environmental Protection Agency go to cut greenhouse emissions on vehicles? According to SEMA, the trade association that represents the automobile aftermarket industry, the EPA is working to ban the conversion of street cars into competition-focused racing vehicles.
In a statement released late last night, SEMA accused the EPA of hiding this proposed goal in a dense, esoteric, 629-page document in the Federal Register published last summer.
SEMA, which has opposed the rules since last year, insists this proposed regulation “would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatchbacks commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the ‘motor vehicles’ that Congress intended to regulate.”
Advertisement

We are still going through the massive document, but this seems to be the portion that has raised the ire of SEMA and, potentially, enthusiasts everywhere:

Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become non-road vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of paragraph (a)(3) of this section and 42 U.S.C.
From that language, it seems as though any tampering with emissions controls would be outlawed, even if the vehicle isn’t a street-legal one used only for competition.
Sponsored

At the same time, additional language in the gigantic, complex Federal Register document implies competitive vehicles would be exempted under the regulations:
Competition engines/equipment: (i) For uncertified engines/equipment that are excluded or exempted as new engines/equipment from any requirements of this chapter because they are to be used solely for competition, you may not use any of them in a manner that is inconsistent with use solely for competition.
Update: And this text, too:
EPA is proposing to add a clarification that the exemption from the tampering prohibition for competition purposes does not apply to heavy-duty highway vehicles. This aligns with the statutory provisions for the racing exemption.
So there are some odd contradictions at work here. What’s going on, exactly?

We are still trying to figure out what all of this means. EPA officials have not yet responded to an email from Jalopnik seeking clarification on the intent of the proposed rule, whether the agency has studied its effects on the racing and aftermarket industries, or what the penalties could be if someone is found to be in violation.
Advertisement

SEMA also said they sought to clarify the rule with the EPA, only to learn the agency “indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into race cars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal.”
As Automotive News points out, traditionally cars used only for racing are not held to the same emissions standards as stock vehicles, even if they were converted from stock vehicles.

SEMA added this in their statement:
“This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”
More on this as we get it.
Photo credit Raphael Orlove/Jalopnik

Contact the author at patrick@jalopnik.com.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...posal-prohibit-conversion-vehicles-racecars-0

Tell the EPA to Withdraw Its Proposal to Prohibit the Conversion of Vehicles Into Racecars
The American love affair with automobiles includes watching and participating in motorsports. For decades Americans have converted their street vehicles into racecars, from pre-World War II classics to modern era performance cars. It has brought joy and jobs to millions. However, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has issued a proposed rule that would do away with this time honored tradition. It would outlaw the conversion of any type of emissions-certified vehicle into a racecar, and make it illegal to sell any emissions-related parts for those cars. The Clean Air Act prohibits the EPA from regulating racecars. Tell EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy to remove this provision from the “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- & Heavy-Duty Engines-Phase 2" rule.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I am all for Motorsports and would be happy to sign that........
What I'd like to see is......... the so called tuners get a stick shoved up their ass, for setting readiness monitors, and deleting devices or codes.

It really makes it hard to diagnose a car for shops........ especially when they exclusively rely on VCDS, or a generic OBD2 scanner, with limited qualifications.

The OEM dumbed shit down with GFF ....so now you have a few that know and whole bunch of robots.

My hats off to the ones that have stayed up to date and kept their shit in order.

The reason for this purposed legislation, is in fact from these assholes that have purported these acts and short road path to a $buck$.

Motorsports is about innovation.......lets get it back to that.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
See what ramifications can be tied to emission deletes.......... for the conspiracy to commit tax evasion.........?

Would be interesting to see law enforcement raid tuners for vehicles modified and gather the fines through documentation they were dumb enough to create leading the tax man to your bank account.

Would be an absolute shame if a Governing authority, such as the EPA/IRS; had access to the Names/VIN#'s through the paper trail of purchase, reimbursements, credits, etc. ............and a way to actually see it.

Germany Investigating Volkswagen Employees For Emissions Scandal Related Tax Evasion

Months after Volkswagen admitted that it had sold up to 11 million cars worldwide fitted with software designed to produce favorable and flawed emissions tests, German prosecutors have announced an investigation into whether the deception also constituted tax evasion.
Up to 11 million cars worldwide were fitted with the software including the Audi A3 (2009-15), VW Jetta (2009-15), VW Beetle (2009-15), VW Golf (2009-15) and VW Passat (2012-15). Following the news, then Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Martin Winterkorn resigned, taking responsibility for what he called “irregularities.” The car company also vowed to launch an internal investigation into the scandal; the results of that investigation have not yet been made public.
In Germany, a company cannot generally be prosecuted for crimes. That’s by statute, according to Axel Weber, a Frankfurt lawyer at Factum Legal. Weber explains that, under the German Penal Code, known as Strafgesetzbuch, only an individual, but not a company can be held responsible for criminal wrongdoings. There is an exception to the rule: a company can be held liable in cases of minor felonies.

Tax evasion – especially on this scale – and related financial and fraud crimes aren’t that minor and will likely be treated as a more major crime. That appears to be what’s happening here. Klaus Ziehe, speaking on behalf of the Staatsanwaltschaft Braunschweig (think of it like the DA’s office in the town of Braunschweig), confirmed that the investigation centers on five Volkswagen employees: those employees have not been publicly identified and Ziehe would not indicate whether they are high level employees. The number of employees said to be involved in the investigation could “become higher or lower” as the investigation continues.
This investigation – which focuses on allegations of tax fraud – is separate from the investigation into the actual emissions fraud. So far, six Volkswagen employees have been targeted in that investigation.
[video]https://stvideos.5min.com/2/751/5192751/519275080.mp4?hdnea=exp=1455555827~acl=/*~hmac=d61c35f0467144924ef5ac1242a323570ebec54c799 7a301af1a34be9369a7d3[/video]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph...ons-scandal-related-tax-evasion/#871b3a95386e

The wheels of Justice turn slow ....... however, they do turn!

I am curious if the taxman will come after people who received a tax deduction/credit incentive for buying a TDI, since most claimed this on their return.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...-recalls-discuss&p=52054&viewfull=1#post52054

I am a contributing editor of ARD German Radio & TV and I have a request for help. It's a bit tricky but maybe some of you already have the information we require.

What I need is the software part number of a VW 2012+ Passat registered in California (!), for which you have received a recall letter in early 2015.

I need exactly the PART NO SW and the numbers/ letters you find in the field “Component”.

You should get these numbers by doing a scan, i.e. by using
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/(or also the official VW software) or from your car dealer/ repairer.

Also useful would be the Emissions Service Action booklet (Code: 23N5) for California 2012-2014 Passats as provided to VW repair shops. Somebody already posted the one for US 49 states but the California version ought to be different.

What we are doing is to compare before-after what has been done by the emissions-related recall last year-

Thanks for contacting me here or by private message.

Yeah?
I'd really like to see you reporters/testers do some testing/reporting on "aftermarket tuners" I mean hacks removing emission devices in there entirety electronically/physically.

Uncover the fact the EPA and CARB have failed to address the emission deletes; that are far more nefarious than what VW has done for over 20 years, since the OBD2 specification commenced with the readiness monitors.

Please let me know and have a look here.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...smelly-Garbage-can-dumped-on-Motorsports!-WTF

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
https://www3.epa.gov/obd/questions.htm

:thumbs:

Always have your tuner provide their EPA or CARB exception certificate.............otherwise they are full of shit and one HOT POTATO!

What is OBD, and what are its benefits?

OBD stands for "on-board diagnostics," a computer-based system built into all model year (MY) 1996 and newer light-duty cars and trucks. OBD monitors the performance of some of the engines' major components, including individual emission controls. The system provides owners with an early warning of malfunctions by way of a dashboard "Check Engine" light (also known as a Malfunction Indicator Light or MIL, for short). By giving vehicle owners this early warning, OBD protects not only the environment but also consumers, identifying minor problems before they become major repair bills.
top of page
How do I know the OBD system is working correctly?

When you turn on the ignition, the "Service Engine Soon" or "Check Engine" light should flash briefly, indicating that the OBD system is ready to scan your vehicle for any malfunctions. After this brief flash, the light should stay off while you drive as long as no problems are detected. If so, you'll be glad to know that your vehicle is equipped with an early warning system that could save you time, money, and fuel in addition to helping protect the environment!
top of page
What does it mean if the light turns on while I'm driving?

If the light comes on and stays on, the OBD system has detected a problem. Your vehicle might have a condition that wastes fuel, shortens engine life, or causes excessive air pollution. If left unaddressed, these conditions could also damage your vehicle and lead to increasingly expensive repairs. For example, OBD can identify a loose or missing gas cap (which wastes fuel and contributes to smog) or engine misfire (which can lead to severe or permanent engine damage).
top of page
What should I do if the light stays on?

There is no cause for panic. The vehicle is just telling you to seek attention soon. When you reach your destination, make sure the gas cap is not loose or missing. Always turn off your engine when refueling. If the light does not go out after a few short trips following gas cap replacement or tightening, have your vehicle serviced by a qualified repair technician soon! Delaying assistance could lead to more expensive damage.
top of page
What does it mean if the light is blinking?

If the light is blinking, a severe engine problem such as a catalyst-damaging misfire is occurring and should be addressed as soon as possible. You can still drive safely, but should minimize your time on the road. Try not to drive the vehicle at high speed or with excess weight (such as towing or carrying heavy equipment).
top of page
What will my technician do when I take my vehicle into the shop?

Ask your repair shop if they employ trained OBD technicians. A modern repair shop or dealership should have an OBD scan tool (a small, hand-held scanning device) to diagnose the cause of your vehicle's problem. These technicians will have the proper tools and will know best how to diagnose your vehicle.
The technician will connect the scan tool to your vehicle's computer (usually through a connector under the dashboard) and download information that can pinpoint the problem. The technician can then repair the vehicle based on manufacturer recommendations. OBD actually helps repair technicians do their job more quickly and reliably, helping you avoid unnecessary repairs and trips back to the shop.
top of page
Will the repair be covered by warranty?

Warranty coverage varies depending on components and individual manufacturer warranty provisions. In most cases, however, responding sooner rather than later is likely to minimize the individual owner's repair liability. The CAA requires an 8-year or 80,000 mile warranty on the major emissions control components such as the catalytic converter, and a 2-year or 24,000 mile warranty on other emissions control components.
top of page
Are repair costs going to increase?

Thus far, no increase has been seen. Real world experience from operating programs has shown that the average cost for an OBD-triggered repair is comparable to that associated with repairs triggered as a result of more traditional tailpipe testing of OBD-equipped vehicles. Regardless of the test used to identify a failure in the I/M lane, it is standard operating procedure for a repair technician to consult a vehicle's OBD system before attempting a repair. In fact, the repair community has been using the kind of information provided by OBD systems to diagnose and repair vehicles for more than twenty years. The fact that these systems and the information they provide has been standardized since MY1996 makes using this information easier while leading to more accurate and quicker diagnoses and more cost-effective repairs than possible with earlier OBD systems.
top of page
Can the OBD system be repaired, deactivated, or modified?

The rule of thumb when it comes to emissions-related vehicle repair is that any modification that changes the vehicle from a certified configuration to a non-certified configuration is considered tampering: this applies to both vehicle owners and repair facilities and is, therefore, a Federal offense. Replacing a catalyst with a straight pipe is one traditional example of tampering. Likewise, overriding the OBD system through the use of high-tech defeat devices or non-certified computer chips, for example, would also be considered tampering. The OBD system may, however, be repaired back to its original certified configuration with certified "performance chips" or appropriate aftermarket parts.
top of page
What should I do if the light goes out before I take the vehicle to the shop?

Usually, nothing. If the problem that caused the light to come on is addressed, the OBD computer will turn the light off. This is not an indication of a faulty OBD system. In fact, the system is doing its job by verifying that a problem temporarily existed but has since been corrected; perhaps a loose gas cap was tightened or a fouled spark plug was cleared. Your vehicle needs no special attention unless the light comes on again.
top of page
Why are states required to include OBD checks as part of their inspection and maintenance (I/M) program(s)?

This computer-based early warning system was required by the 1990 Clean Air Act (CAA) and comes standard on all MY1996 and newer light-duty cars and trucks. The CAA also required that checks of the OBD system be included in all mandatory I/M programs to help ensure that vehicle owners take this early warning seriously. Many states have already incorporated OBD checks into their I/M programs, and many more are on schedule to do so within the next few years.
Despite numerous improvements in automotive technology, motor vehicles continue to be a major source of air pollution, accounting for approximately 77 percent of the carbon monoxide (CO) and 45 percent of the ozone-causing nitrogen oxides (NOx) in our nation's air. I/M programs help reduce excess emissions by identifying vehicles in need of repair and requiring that they be fixed. For MY1995 and older vehicles, the most effective way to identify needed repairs is by measuring tailpipe emissions. In some cases, however, a vehicle may need repair before emissions increase. For MY1996 and newer vehicles, the OBD system makes it possible to detect malfunctions before it leads to high emissions. The OBD computer monitors a wide range of emissions controls and lights the "Check Engine" light if a problem is detected.
top of page
Why can a vehicle pass a tailpipe test but fail an OBD test?

OBD and tailpipe testing are two different approaches to identify vehicles in need of repair. The OBD system looks for broken or malfunctioning emissions control components, while tailpipe tests sample a vehicle's exhaust to see if it is above or below certain prescribed limits. Given the robust nature of today's emissions control components, it is entirely possible for an individual component to malfunction without leading to an immediate increase in emissions at the tailpipe. In such cases, other components (like the catalyst) can temporarily compensate for the part that is broken; however, these other components can only do double duty for so long before they, too, begin to malfunction. Because of its ability to monitor individual components, OBD is able to give motorists an "early warning" that repairs are needed; it is because of this "early warning" capability that OBD will sometimes fail vehicles that would otherwise pass a tailpipe test. In addition, OBD also monitors for leaks and other malfunctions in the fuel system—problems that traditional tailpipe tests were not designed to identify. Most state and local areas also include a gas cap pressure test as part of an emission inspection.
top of page
What else can I do to make sure my vehicle is running well and to minimize its environmental impact?

Today's vehicles are highly sophisticated and efficient. OBD helps to ensure these vehicles are running in top shape, but you still need to maintain your vehicle according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule. Keep up with routine maintenance and keep an eye out for your Check Engine light. Always turn off the engine before refueling and always make sure the gas cap is securely tightened. You'll save money on fuel and repairs while helping to do your part to protect the air you breathe. In addition, driving as little as possible by combining trips, carpooling, walking, biking, or using public transit are all things you can do to help minimize vehicle pollution.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Thank god that the government is going to step in and stop the insanity..... :facepalm:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/16/epa-crashes-amateur-car-races-with-buried-regulation.html

EPA crashes amateur car races with buried regulation

By Kenric Ward Published March 16, 2016 watchdog.org

A “power grab” by the Environmental Protection Agency threatens to crash America’s amateur car-racing industry without putting so much as a dent in climate change, warns the chairman of the House Space, Science and Technology Committee.

The EPA’s move to regulate emissions on non-road racing vehicles contradicted agency administrator Gina McCarthy’s earlier testimony that the EPA did not have authority over non-road race cars and motorcycles.

EPA officials said they are “clarifying” emissions law, yet the Clean Air Act has long exempted non-road vehicles used in competition. The agency has not made a similar move against NASCAR or other professional race circuits.

“The EPA cannot assume powers that Congress hasn’t given,” Rep. Lamar Smith, chairman of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee, said at an Oversight Subcommittee hearing Tuesday. The Texas Republican accused the agency of “unlawful regulation (conducted) without proper notice.”

Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-North Carolina, introduced a bipartisan bill, HR 4715, to block the EPA’s action. Texas Democrat Henry Cuellar is among the co-sponsors.

“The federal government has no place testing emissions at private tracks,” McHenry told the subcommittee.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thank god that the government is going to step in and stop the insanity..... :facepalm:
Yup, that's nuts. It means that no car that was ever street legal can be converted into an emissions-exempt race car. It doesn't matter if you remove the VIN markings, don't have license plates or a registration, and trailer it to events. If it was ever street legal, and anything emissions-related has been modified, it's not legal to run it anywhere, even on a race track. :facepalm:

Of course they haven't (and won't) go after NASCAR -- it and all the other "big" or "professional" series use purpose-built cars and engines that were never street legal to begin with. But amateurs are screwed, as is the aftermarket "performance" industry.

-Uwe-

PS: The more I see of government, the better anarchy looks. :D

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ettle-emissions-scandal/ar-BBs2eCw?li=BBnbfcL

Volkswagen has reached a deal with U.S. authorities to settle the case over its cheating of diesel emissions tests that would involve it paying each affected customer $5,000, Germany's Die Welt newspaper reported on Wednesday.

AdChoices

Citing unidentified sources close to the negotiations, Die Welt said the agreement would be presented on Thursday to Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco, avoiding a trial that was set to start in the summer.
A U.S. federal judge last month gave Volkswagen and regulators until April 21 to agree on a fix for nearly 600,000 diesel cars on U.S. roads implicated by VW's emissions test-rigging scandal.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
So the fix is where VW sends each owner of TDI cars (which will be harder to sell now) a check for $5000.

How exactly does this reduce emissions? The same cars are on the road, and will stay on the road.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
I don't think we have all the details yet, but many commenters think the $5k are going to be a sort of compensation for the reduced performance after the fix that's also mandated in the agreement that's not public, or the buyback. Which would seem to indicate I'm SOL having traded it in at a major loss in November. Did nobody think of the unfortunate folks who traded in for an S4!? :D

Reactions: Uwe

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
So the fix is where VW sends each owner of TDI cars (which will be harder to sell now) a check for $5000.

How exactly does this reduce emissions? The same cars are on the road, and will stay on the road.

Emmission controls are all about money. Not emmissions.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Emmission controls are all about money. Not emmissions.

You can say that again! The hot air coming out of liberal politicians' mouths about global warming has contributed more to the alleged phenomenon than the things they've regulated/banned..... :facepalm:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
http://www.channel3000.com/money/volkswagen-set-to-reveal-deal-on-diesel-scandal/39142886

[h=1]Settlement: VW owners can choose fix or buyback[/h] [h=2]Automaker faces massive fines for violating the U.S. Clean Air Act[/h] Author: By Chris Isidore

Volkswagen-plant-jpg.jpg
From Volkswagen

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - Volkswagen has reached deal to repurchase or fix nearly 500,000 diesel cars that cheat on emission tests, giving car owners the choice of what to do.

No matter what they choose, owners will also receive "substantial" cash compensation for their trouble.
Federal Judge Charles Breyer ordered the automaker not to disclose how much money owners will receive while final terms of the deal are being hammered out, but there are widespread reports that the sum is $5,000.
The automaker, which admitted to cheating on emissions tests, said the preliminary agreement was reached in round-the-clock negotiations with U.S. environmental regulators, the Justice Department as well as attorneys for the car owners.
"VW is committed to winning back the trust of its customers, its dealers..and all Americans," VW attorney Robert Giuffra told the court. "We think [the deal is] good for the consumers, the environment, and good for Volkswagen."
Volkswagen so far has only given owners $500 in cash and $500 in store credits. It's also hired attorney Kenneth Feinberg to run a compensation fund for owners. But details of that compensation plan have yet to be decided.
But many owners ,and even members of Congress, have called on the automaker to buy back the cars from unhappy owners.
"Finally, Volkswagen appears to have a proposal to take care of customers who purchased its polluting diesel vehicles," said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst with AutoTrader. "It's a critical first step to move Volkswagen forward from this debacle."
Last fall regulators announced that VW's diesel cars had software that cheated on pass emission tests and let cars dump up to 40 times the allowed level of pollutants into the air. VW's CEO and head of its U.S. operations both quit as a result.
There are about 11 million of the cars worldwide.
VW faces massive fines that could exceed $18 billion for violating the U.S. Clean Air Act, as well as criminal probes and a suit by federal authorities charging it with deceptive advertising that touted "clean diesel" cars. VW is still negotiating with a number of government agencies as to how much money it will pay in fines.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Back