IE11 won't show this forum now RC4 problem

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Hi guys

I've uses IE11 for many years for surfing and this forum. I click on the forum yesterday it shows a massage.

RC4 cipher is no longer supported in Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge

I've check the RC4 settings in Internet Options and they are ok.

I've Googled this problem and on Windows 7 forum nothing useful shows.

I now have to use Firefox which is a backup browser which is crap.

Anyone else have a problem if they use IE11?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I seriously doubt anyone else is still using IE. ;)

I no longer have a Windows 7 computer handy. Using a Windows 7 computer on-line since Microsoft stopped publishing security updates for it in January is like going to a brothel without a condom. But I did just fire up IE for the first time ever on the Windows 10 machine I'm using here. I pointed it at the forum and it didn't complain in any way, shape, or form.

The forum software itself has not changed in quite some time.

So...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Uwe-

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Considering M$ have made IE for many years. There are loads of other web browsers on the market, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari. I've tried them all and Firefox used to be good.

There are popup messages on IE11 asking you to switch to Google Chrome, I always click NO. I've tried Google Chrome a few years ago there are more bugs in that system that you can Google plus it shows pictures of web sites searched and remembers them for next time.

I don't want picture I just want the links searched for.

When you install Firefox it asks if you want to add IE Favorites you click yes and they are all added. The newer version doesn't ask that. Plus the stupid menu system its all bookmarks with no sub folders.

IE11 has all the saved web links in Users/name/Favorites you can organize your own links. Firefox has no bookmark list that I can find in Program Files or ProgramData, they are listed in both folders.

There are 2 annoying bugs in IE11. A web site shows all pictures and text it says recover page you click ok and the same page shows but you can scroll down.

Scripts error popup don't use scripts. I've check Internet Options and they are set correctly to me.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...oubleshoot-script-errors-in-internet-explorer

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Using IE because it's what you've always used is a risky attitude when it comes to the internet.
Even Microsoft have abandoned their own tech for the latest version of Edge, which is now based on Chromium.

FWIW I tried the forums on an old Win 7 machine we have knocking around and can confirm it's broken in IE11 - it looks to be an SSL cipher issue:
This page can’t be displayed

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://forums.ross-tech.com again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details), which is not considered secure. Please contact your site administrator.
it's interesting that IE blames an outdated cipher on the webserver, when the problem is more likely that the site uses a new cipher that has not been supported by IE.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
In Firefox, chose "Show all Bookmarks" in the Bookmarks menu, and you can re-arrange and drag and drop and create and delete folders all you want.

It lets you make subfolders too. You can do that when you create a bookmark, by clicking the big down arrow to the right of the "folder" menu.

If you sign up for a "Sync" account, all your bookmarks will sync between your synced devices.

BlueR32

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58325
I've had to remind numerous websites of the business they are losing when their site doesn't support IE11 considering at least 80% of the world still uses IE11. ;)

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
at least 80% of the world still uses IE11. ;)
Personally I haven't used IE for over a decade, since it's many well published security issues became known along with Microsoft's tardy approach to fixing those they have deemed critical enough to fix.

Not sure where you got that 80% figure from, see the graph below where IE is hidden in the noise?

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

Last edited:

BlueR32

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58325
I never said anything about security or quality of IE11. If it's from Microsucks we know it has lots of problems... When it comes to market share there are lies, damn lies and statistics. :)

Last edited:

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Using IE because it's what you've always used is a risky attitude when it comes to the internet.
Even Microsoft have abandoned their own tech for the latest version of Edge, which is now based on Chromium.

FWIW I tried the forums on an old Win 7 machine we have knocking around and can confirm it's broken in IE11 - it looks to be an SSL cipher issue:

it's interesting that IE blames an outdated cipher on the webserver, when the problem is more likely that the site uses a new cipher that has not been supported by IE.

Its good to see your using IE11 on here.

I've checked Internet Options and TLS is all turned on.TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.

I've turned on Use SLS 2.0 and 3.0 it still doesn't fix the problem. Its only this site that doesn't show all other sites show that's why I asked if anyone else has the same problem.

I know Support for Windows 7 is ending on January 14, 2020 but I've installed all Windows updates.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Its good to see your using IE11 on here.
I'm not.
I opened IE11 (probably for the first time) on an old machine we keep in our warehouse. We don't use the internet on it normally.

I know Support for Windows 7 is ending on January 14, 2020 but I've installed all Windows updates.
You say that as if it's happening some time in the future.
Windows 7 has already gone without security updates for over 2 months, which is plenty of time for newly found vulnerabilities to be exploited.

It's time to upgrade to Win 10, or least abandon the abomination that is Internet Explorer...

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Sorry but Windows 10 is the worst OP. Even Windows 10 has IE11 if M$ don't support it as IE is the only web browser M$ make.

When M$ were pushing every one to to get the free update I tried it before I did a rebuild, total crap things wouldn't work as they used to. So I put back Windows 7 as everything works as I want it too.

As I've said I use Firefox as a backup web browser and that is crap.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Even Windows 10 has IE11 if M$ don't support it as IE is the only web browser M$ make.
That is so not true, M$ are moving away from IE to Edge (which is now Chromium based), IE will be removed from later updates to W10.

You can get Edge for Windows 7, 8 & 10 as well as macOS, iOS and Android - see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
When M$ were pushing every one to to get the free update I tried it before I did a rebuild, total crap things wouldn't work as they used to.
The original free update to Win10 was about 6 versions ago - a lot has changed since then.
But just because things don't work "as they used to" doesn't mean it's worse.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I was very much in the "Windows 7 for ever" and "I'll never switch to Windows 10" camp until the end of last year.

But it is bloody irresponsible to use an OS that isn't being updated on-line, so knowing that support would end in January, I switched late last year.

Windows 10 can be made to work, look, and feel a whole lot like Windows 7 did if you want to. Yes, it takes some effort. Use something like Open Shell (free) or Start 10 ($5) to replace the abomination that is the native Windows 10 start menu.

In Windows 10 Pro (but not Home), you can also use the Group Policy Editor to make Updates work more like Windows 7. I have my machines set to automatically download updates, but they need my explicit permission to install them. There are numerous how-to articles regarding this.

-Uwe-

Back