Advice on weaponry

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Arrhhhhhh......... then definitely not "growing on the wall"!!
I would offer Andy any number of feline hats as replacements, but out of respect for Eric's views, I will not be so gauche
Not just Eric.

Now that I think about it, I believe that hat is rabbit fur. I have one much like that myself. They're fantastic when the Centigrade numbers go well negative, a phenomenon I suspect you have little recent experience with. :p

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Uwe: indeed I do not have experience of really cold weather, but I do have experience of rabbits. I have a huge problem with bunnies here- they are pests and they bread like.....well..rabbits in Australia generally.

Their fecundity (my guess at the origin of the 4 x letter word) is linked to the amount of chlorophyll in the environment and currently there is plenty of the stuff to eat. So, we now see multiple generations of the pesky creatures (both young and old) - which is not a good thing. Not allowed to shoot them because of the built-up area, but I have wasted quite a few kgs of wheat that has been impregnated with pindone (it's a "rabbait") on the pests - it helps cull the numbers, but they still bread like .....

So my offer to anyone @ RT HQ is to come-on down with their skinning knives - lots of rabbit hats to be made here. Ferrets are also welcome!!

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not allowed to shoot them because of the built-up area
It's funny how critters come to understand this.

This was my driveway in late winter a few years ago:

BmugzIL.jpg

:rolleyes:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
It's funny how critters come to understand this.

There were some city-iots shooting in the woods near our house a few weekends ago (not during hunting season). Every deer and other critter for miles was flushed out, and all came to congregate in our back yard. Strangely, not one of them was scared by Blizzard barking at them from the deck.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Strangely, not one of them was scared by Blizzard barking at them from the deck.....
I bet they aren't afraid of squirrels making fussy noises either, and considering they're a comparable size...

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
You do know of course that the squirrels laugh at Blizzard whenever he barks at them. Poor dog is getting a complex from the bushy-tailed bully tree rats..... ;)

Reactions: Uwe

dingle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261477
^ Neat idea. I think the point is that AI is going to be the big player in cheaper weaponry.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I bet they (deer) aren't afraid of squirrels making fussy noises either, and considering they're a comparable size...

They should be afraid -- very afraid! Have you ever met a New Yorkistan squirrel????? :p

squirrel-with-gun.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
They should be afraid -- very afraid! Have you ever met a New Yorkistan squirrel????? :p
Meh, I'm sure that squirrel is using a SAFE Act compliant magazine, right? ;)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Speaking of [un]SAFE Act compliant magazines.....

http://taskandpurpose.com/army-selling-m1911-pistols/

The Army Plans On Selling Off Its Remaining Arsenal Of M1911 Pistols

By JARED KELLER
November 21, 2017

The .45 ACP M1911A1 pistol has served the U.S. armed forces for more than a century in every war zone and hotspot on the planet — and thanks to this year’s federal defense budget, it will serve civilians for the foreseeable future.

The $700 billion 2018 National Defense Authorization Act that Congress sent to President Donald Trump’s desk on Nov. 16 included an amendment that required the Secretary of the Army to transfer a cache of small arms and ammo “no longer actively issued for military service” to the government-sponsored Civilian Marksmanship Program, including the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols, the M–1 Garand, and .22 rimfire rifles.

The 1911 semiautomatic pistol, invented by legendary firearms inventor John Moses Browning, proved extremely reliable in the hands of American Expeditionary Forces during the opening years of World War I. According to the National Interest, Army Sergeant Alvin C. York neutralized six German soldiers who charged him with fixed bayonets using nothing but his 1911, earning the Congressional Medal of Honor for his valor and heroism.

Although the 1911A1 variant that emerged in the U.S. after WWI was phased out of regular military service in favor of the Beretta 92 pistol (aka the M9) starting in 1985, its power persists. The Marine Corps ordered 12,000 M45A1 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, a 1911-modeled firearm from Colt Defense in 2014; the pistols went to MARSOC Raiders, with a handful going to special operations-capable Marine Expeditionary Units.

The last transfer of 1911s to the CMP was in 2015, when President Barack Obama signed a defense bill that included a measure to transfer 10,000 pistols for sale to the program; lawmakers har stated that May that the DoD spends $2 a year to store each of its 100,000 surplus 1911s. With 10,000 already transferred and 8,300 additional pistols “sold or disposed of,” per Guns.com, that means there are at least 80,000 1911s ready and waiting for a nasty civilian to give them a good home.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Good thing that Australia took away all of the guns from its comedians..... :facepalm:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/navy-seal-shot-osama-bin-laden-loses-shooting-contest-comedian-jim-jefferies-070918144.html

Navy Seal who shot Osama Bin Laden loses shooting contest with comedian Jim Jefferies

Yahoo TV
Caitlin George Parker
November 22, 2017

Robert O’Neill, the Navy Seal from SEAL Team Six, better known as the guy who shot Osama Bin Laden, joined comedian Jim Jefferies on The Jim Jefferies Show to fire off some very serious artillery. Jefferies said, “In honor of my guest, I ordered a buffet of giant dangerous weapons. Rob’s a perfect shot of course. But I need to try them out. Then I find the biggest, funnest, and most deadly one to protect myself from a tyrannical government.”

Jefferies jokingly posted a picture of “Zombie Bin Laden” for O’Neill to shoot while he aimed at a picture of the Second Amendment. Jefferies has been outspoken on the incredible lack of gun control in the United States, while O’Neill has a bit more of a conservative background, but there was one thing they agreed on: Guns are fun. Jefferies spoofed ads for the guns they fired off. “This is the HMK-416. It’s an assault rifle similar to the AR-15,” he said. “The manufacturer calls it user-friendly. In stores for … hunting. Yeah, let’s say it’s for ‘hunting’ this time.”

But when Jefferies challenged O’Neill to a watermelon shootout with the biggest gun he could find, a .50 caliber sniper rifle, something kind of unexpected happened. Jefferies hit his watermelon and O’Neill did not! Though an American hero who shot Bin Laden got bested by a comedian from Australia, I’m sure his fellow SEAL Team Six members won’t give him any grief for that. Jefferies said, “Maybe Bin Laden would have been OK if he was dressed as a watermelon.”

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Speaking of [un]SAFE Act compliant magazines.....
With 10,000 already transferred and 8,300 additional pistols “sold or disposed of,” per Guns.com, that means there are at least 80,000 1911s ready and waiting for a nasty civilian to give them a good home.
A nasty civilian, eh? :confused:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Since they only hold 7 rounds AFAIK, this nasty civilian :thumbs: could actually own one in New Yorkistan with only a few flaming hoops to jump through. We don't have open carry though, so I don't know what I would do with one other than test the long-term protection of EEZOX in the safe. It would be neat to have a Walther P38 to collect dust next to it, since they were competitors in a certain little skirmish.

Is that a roll of quarters in your pocket, or are you packing an M1911A1????? :D

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Oh s---! So when can I grab one?
Sorry, I just don't get the excitement for someone who doesn't feel compelled to collect issued weapons. Seeing the prices a decent-shooting rifle currently commands at the CMP, it's not like it's going to be a screaming deal either, when you can get a brand-new-not-50-years-old Colt 1911 for $756 or a possibly better shooting Armscor for $400, or anything between that and a 3 grand custom night hawk or whatever.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/cmp-1911-information.61130/

To all CMP constituents:
The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.
Some preliminary decisions:

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
www.thecmp.org

Back