Start engine button coding?

suffeks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=128398
i have 2 friends with a 2018 R, one dsg the other manual. the dsg can start their car with a quick press of the button, however the manual car they need to hold the button down until it starts. can this be configured? my passat starts with a quick press. another person i know has a tiguan auto and they need to hold it down until it starts.

thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Color me confused. I've never seen or heard of one that needs to be held until it starts. Every VW/Audi I've ever been in that has keyless start just needs a momentary press of the button.

-Uwe-

PS: Moving this from Car Repair Support to Tweaks.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This is why I stay away from retrofits.........OMG the laziness, so inconvenient to have to hold a starter button & where you actually have control and not let the ECU grenade the teeth of flywheel for you.

giphy.gif

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Color me confused. I've never seen or heard of one that needs to be held until it starts. Every VW/Audi I've ever been in that has keyless start just needs a momentary press of the button.
My B7 RS4 used to start with just a momentary press of the Start button UNLESS the clutch switch was faulty when you had to hold the button until the engine started.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This is why I stay away from retrofits.........OMG the laziness, so inconvenient to have to hold a starter button & where you actually have control and not let the ECU grenade the teeth of flywheel for you.
The OP didn't indicate that any of these are retrofits. Of course if they were, that would explain much.

FWIW, we did an Engine Start button retrofit on our 2004 T'reg back in the day. The vehicle came with full Kessy, except for the Start button, which I suppose VW's lawyers had not yet approved for the US market at that time. The only thing needed to make it happen was the button, the wiring to the Kessy, and the trim plate to accommodate the button. It then worked like factory -- a momentary press of the button would start the engine.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My B7 RS4 used to start with just a momentary press of the Start button UNLESS the clutch switch was faulty when you had to hold the button until the engine started.
Haha! Maybe this thread does belong in Car Repair after all! :confused:

-Uwe-

suffeks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=128398
not retrofits, all original, vid or it didnt happen

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
not retrofits, all original, vid or it didnt happen
Well.....

I suppose you should start posting some scans so people can try to spot the difference.

-Uwe-

DGMotors

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57532
My Wifes 2013 Tiguan DSG TDi with keyless - starts with a quick press (Quick press it waits for glow plugs and then starts engine)
My Mums 2014 VW Beetle DSG TSi with keyless - you have to hold the start button until starts

jsalbre

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364368
Just to add some data points, on both my 2013 GLI and 2014 Tiguan you had to hold the button until the engine started. On my 2017 Golf Alltrack and 2019 Tiguan it only takes a momentary touch.

MartyPongo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=495425
I replaced the start button on my 2013 Golf R yesterday and now the car won't respond when I press the button. I replaced it while replacing the lower trim panel on the steering column, basically because I was too lazy to remove the one that was in the car and install it in the new column trim panel. I suspect the car doesn't recognize the new button. May be a Kessy thing.

I have VCDS, but don't know if I can address the start button without it powering up the computer. Anybody have any sage advice?

Marty

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have VCDS, but don't know if I can address the start button without it powering up the computer.
Have you got a scan from when it was still working?

The button is just a dumb switch, you can't "address" it at all. You have to look in whatever module it's connected to, which should be alive even if the rest of the car isn't, because if it's not, it can't react to the button being pressed.

-Uwe-

Back