Passat B5 starts and idles but no throttle until warm

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Timing belt being out will cause this ...........wouldn't hurt to set it up again.

Doesn't take much when failing to account for the belt slack........

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks Uwe for the editing. I was trying to put those scans in scrollable windows but couldn't figure it out. Is there somewhere on the Ross-Tech site that explains these things?
CODE tags as explained here.

-Uwe-

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Timing belt being out will cause this ...........wouldn't hurt to set it up again

Doesn't take much when failing to account for the belt slack........

Would this be consistent with timing being off when cold but normal when warmed up?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Would this be consistent with timing being off when cold but normal when warmed up?

Yup and from your work steps as described for the BSM.
Did you install a new belt?

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Yup and from your work steps as described for the BSM.
Did you install a new belt?

Yes, a new belt was installed. However I don't have 100% confidence in the mechanic who did the job. Turns out he forgot to plug the oil feed hole for the BSM which I had to go back and do myself. He also screwed up an ECU doing the tune as a Malone dealer. Basically, I got conned. I hired him to do 3 things and I know for a fact he screwed up 2 things. I'd say it's possible, maybe even likely that he screwed up the third (new timing belt) as well.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yes, a new belt was installed. However I don't have 100% confidence in the mechanic who did the job. Turns out he forgot to plug the oil feed hole for the BSM which I had to go back and do myself. He also screwed up an ECU doing the tune as a Malone dealer. Basically, I got conned. I hired him to do 3 things and I know for a fact he screwed up 2 things. I'd say it's possible, maybe even likely that he screwed up the third (new timing belt) as well.

Sounds like it smells as if you should leave it "alone" I mean that person who un-helped you....:cool:

Time to RTFB a belt and check basics ........people screw this up pretty routine and call themselves "professionals".

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Finally got around to checking the timing belt today. All is as it should be. So back to square zero. Any other suggestions out there?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Have you tried a stock ecu and or flash to see if anti tuning or the config is being blocked from performing due to horseshit code or swap work........or deletes?

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
As I wrote before I have 2 ECUs that I do trust and that don't seem to make a difference in how the car runs. One is a completely stock (with AT tune) that has had the Immobilizer deleted so it will work in my car, and the other has been re-tuned (MT and Stage 2 tune) and adapted to the immobilizer. Both ECUs have been programmed by highly competent and reputable tuners.
Regardless which ECU I use the car starts and runs poorly with very advanced timing and no throttle response until it warms to 56-58C at which point the timing suddenly becomes normal, the throttle works, and the car runs and revs as it should. Swapping the ECUs have no effect on this pattern.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Both ECUs have been programmed by highly competent and reputable tuners.

It's FOD until verified stock...........JPPSG NJA Title 3 Section 2

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot
Regardless which ECU I use the car starts and runs poorly with very advanced timing and no throttle response until it warms to 56-58C at which point the timing suddenly becomes normal, the throttle works, and the car runs and revs as it should. Swapping the ECUs have no effect on this pattern.

Recheck your cam-belt work..............

Additionally see JPPSG NJA Title 3 section 1

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
Have you checked torsion value just to make sure and verify what the computer is seeing

tdidaho

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=102042
Yes I have checked torsion valu. It's 0.0 both cold and warm.
I also rechecked cam belt and it's perfect.
And, regarding questions about the ECU, I have verified that the ECU with the Immo delete works properly by testing it in a friend's Passat TDI. His car starts and runs perfectly with that ECU.

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
I guess the timing issues gone to bed

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
And, regarding questions about the ECU, I have verified that the ECU with the Immo delete works properly by testing it in a friend's Passat TDI. His car starts and runs perfectly with that ECU.

You need to retrace your work steps, because if it ran fine beforehand and equipment works in other vehicle.......... you have induced FOD someplace.

The reality of your test being shit is this.

The other car works fine but doesn't have an FOD issue so that just says ecu works but doesn't detect issue.
Your tuning most likely has deletes that are impairing your ability to see faults & that would normally guide you that aren't there for when as in this case......... your car is incorrect or your work!

Put a stock ecu in and run the tests............

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Your tuning most likely has deletes that are impairing your ability to see faults & that would normally guide you that aren't there for when as in this case......... your car is incorrect or your work!

Jack nothing has been delete from ECU , not codes delete not emissions. Only thing was done convert to manual transmission and I know 100% this is very good software conversion as I did at least 20-30 cars with same guy TDTuning. First tune was done with Malone tuning and he got screw up really bad on this . But second one I can guaranty you it is 100% good and working tune .

Anyway I told him to find other ECU stock one, which he did and I did Immo off to test car.So now we can forgot about Tune ECU and try to find problem with Stock ECU .
He has little better results with stock ECU , at least he was able to worm car up and got it running , but still has problem. The one thing I do not know did he mention,When car is cold His Spec MAF is tuning max 850 all the time , when car get hot it starts running normal.
I agree with you something has been done wrong while he did this swap and that what he needs to find out .

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Did you try other Coolant temp sensor as I suggested when we talk not to long ago?

When you unplug MAF , do you still get max reading 850 when engine is cold?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack nothing has been delete from ECU , not codes delete not emissions. Only thing was done convert to manual transmission and I know 100% this is very good software conversion as I did at least 20-30 cars with same guy TDTuning. First tune was done with Malone tuning and he got screw up really bad on this . But second one I can guaranty you it is 100% good and working tune .

Anyway I told him to find other ECU stock one, which he did and I did Immo off to test car.So now we can forgot about Tune ECU and try to find problem with Stock ECU .
He has little better results with stock ECU , at least he was able to worm car up and got it running , but still has problem. The one thing I do not know did he mention,When car is cold His Spec MAF is tuning max 850 all the time , when car get hot it starts running normal.
I agree with you something has been done wrong while he did this swap and that what he needs to find out .

Bullshit............

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Jack you can think what you want , But I have no reason to hide anything, When I said nothing has been deleted for Tune ECU, I mean it .ECU is 100% legal on street and it can pass any emission test.
If you think ECU with tune is a problem , then why original ECU has problem?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack you can think what you want , But I have no reason to hide anything, When I said nothing has been deleted for Tune ECU, I mean it .ECU is 100% legal on street and it can pass any emission test.
If you think ECU with tune is a problem , then why original ECU has problem?

Marin if the ECU has no deletes and is 100% "legal" than show us the CARB or EPA lawful exemption certificate.

Then show us the letter from the EPA/CARB or any state agency allowing for the configuration change to be permitted.

I didn't say that the ECU was the issue, I just said it could be the issue or programming rather and it wasn't yet properly ruled out with a stock flash, all as the OP did was defend a tuner & with apprehension as have you.

Now backup your bullshit statement please..........I await to be served! :p

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Marin if the ECU has no deletes and is 100% "legal" than show us the CARB or EPA lawful exemption certificate.

Then show us the letter from the EPA/CARB or any state agency allowing for the configuration change to be permitted.

I didn't say that the ECU was the issue, I just said it could be the issue or programming rather and it wasn't yet properly ruled out with a stock flash, all as the OP did was defend a tuner & with apprehension as have you.

Now backup your bullshit statement please..........I await to be served! :p
An absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Do you really think that someone is gonna go through the trouble & expense of getting a CARB or EPA certificate for this?

-Uwe-

Back