ACC to regular CC

dildildil

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Hi guys i have a 2011 audi a8l with ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL and is there anyway i can disable that and activate regular cruise control in my car

Thank you

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I expect ACC would have to be coded out of numerous modules on that car.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Hi guys i have a 2011 audi a8l with ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL and is there anyway i can disable that and activate regular cruise control in my car
Can I ask what don't you like about ACC?

I've come from CC to ACC in the last couple of months and love ACC as I can use ACC a lot more than I could ever safely use CC.

Reactions: Uwe

dildildil

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Can I ask what don't you like about ACC?

I've come from CC to ACC in the last couple of months and love ACC as I can use ACC a lot more than I could ever safely use CC.

I dont like how it keeps distance from the car in front of me and the way it breaks on its own just not for my driving style, i wanted to get audi lane assist and side assist and ACC is bundled in someone over at audi forums told me the best place would be on ross tech forums to code it out of the car and unplug the 2 ACC sensors from the front bumper

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I dont like how it keeps distance from the car in front of me and the way it breaks on its own just not for my driving style, i wanted to get audi lane assist and side assist and ACC is bundled in someone over at audi forums told me the best place would be on ross tech forums to code it out of the car and unplug the 2 ACC sensors from the front bumper
I don't know that anyone has done this before, particularly not on an A8.

An Auto-Scan would be essential to even begin to look at what might be needed. Once you've made one with the car in stock condition, it might make sense to unplug the sensors and make another, to see what modules are unhappy.

However, there's no way to be sure that all the correct bits are known.

-Uwe-

Greg Elmassian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=53943
Sorry, my 2014 has a button at the end of the CC stalk that enables/disables ACC ... no such thing in yours?

Greg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sorry, my 2014 has a button at the end of the CC stalk that enables/disables ACC ... no such thing in yours?
Greg
Interesting. I've driven two cars with ACC, a 2012 A6 and a 2015 Touareg and neither has any apparent means of reverting to regular cruise. In fact, I once drove the Touareg ~1000 miles w/o any cruise at all when one of the sensors got bumped out of alignment.

-Uwe-

dildildil

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Interesting. I've driven two cars with ACC, a 2012 A6 and a 2015 Touareg and neither has any apparent means of reverting to regular cruise. In fact, I once drove the Touareg ~1000 miles w/o any cruise at all when one of the sensors got bumped out of alignment.

-Uwe-

Thats another reason i want to goto regular cruise control instead of ACC as if sensor goes out of alignment or bad n then u need to pay 900 for dealer calibration

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
I'm surprised that you want to go backwards in driver assists but each to their own.

You have to be aware though that you are talking about modifying the car form its factory load out, and I would not be surprised to find your car has safety systems tied into the ACC. if you cant find that the car operates comfortably with the shortest distance selected to prevent what can be perceived as over zealous braking that you are driving too close. I fear that meddling with the onboard sensors will have a detrimental impact on the safety of your car. In theory you can do what your talking about but don't just disconnect the radar sensors. You would need to remove all the related sensors and switch gear and recode all the appropriate modules to match a car that didn't have it from factory.

dildildil

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
How does regular cruise control work ? Is it coding only or there are specific modules installed in a car that doesn't have ACC the only thing i can see if i wanted to add ACC to my car i would need to buy additional modules/sensors and coding but in order to turn it off and convert to regular cruise i believe coding would be the only way as besides the cruise control stalk i dont see anything different but the ACC stalk looks like it can be coded to like a regular stalk

Greg Elmassian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=53943
Uwe, the end of the cruise control stalk has a button... depressing it (when cruise is on) toggles the display in front of the driver. I can get pix if it helps.

I can understand if you don't like the adaptive cruise I guess, but it's really cool to me... of course I also have a switch that changes the following distance to 3 different settings... I first tried it set to 80 and followed a car off an offramp... brought the car to a complete stop (but you need it to be following a car in motion first, which I did).

Greg

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
OP wants to be able to enable "normal" CC, i.e. disable the radar controlled braking but still be able to use CC (that only operates the throttle and not the brake also).

I've checked the CC stalk and manual for my MQB platform car, and if you have ACC there is no option that I can see to revert to CC simply using a user control.

Mrclopec

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=149231
OP wants to be able to enable "normal" CC, i.e. disable the radar controlled braking but still be able to use CC (that only operates the throttle and not the brake also).

I've checked the CC stalk and manual for my MQB platform car, and if you have ACC there is no option that I can see to revert to CC simply using a user control.

+1

I believe Greg may have misunderstood.

But on a side note, yes. A full auto scan is needed to see what needs to be undone. I like Uwe's recommendation to do a before and after to see what is unhappy. It should show what is legitemately unhappy about the acc sensors being unplugged as well as any other modules that throw their arms in the air because they see other modules doing it too. I'm pretty certain this can be done.

dildildil

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
+1

I believe Greg may have misunderstood.

But on a side note, yes. A full auto scan is needed to see what needs to be undone. I like Uwe's recommendation to do a before and after to see what is unhappy. It should show what is legitemately unhappy about the acc sensors being unplugged as well as any other modules that throw their arms in the air because they see other modules doing it too. I'm pretty certain this can be done.

I will scan the car tomorrow guys and post it

I hope we can get this accomplished as i know alot of people dont like ACC and the cost of sensor calibration

mattylondon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219022
Is your A8 the D3 platform? If it is, and after you post the complete scan and become verified, I'll explain where the ACC coding lives and how to disable it.

dildildil

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Is your A8 the D3 platform? If it is, and after you post the complete scan and become verified, I'll explain where the ACC coding lives and how to disable it.

No its D4, 2011 audi a8l

Thank you

Greg Elmassian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=53943
2014 A8L, i will take pictures, I did not misunderstand... I can revert to cruise control without the adaptive/assistive part...

in my year, i guess not yours, sorry...

I'm surprised, I would not be happy if I could not change from one to the other.

Greg

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
2014 A8L, i will take pictures, I did not misunderstand... I can revert to cruise control without the adaptive/assistive part...
Sounds like you have the best of both worlds.

Photos would be great...

Back