HexNetConfig java WiFi Utility on a Mac

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Last night I upgraded to a soon to be released version of Mac OS X.
Today testing the last of the applications I tried the WiFi utility and got the following error:

ScreenShot2014-09-27at131234_zpsf1734246.png

It works perfectly from the command line by issuing java -jar HexNetConfigV1.9.jar in Terminal.

Wanted to pass this along as the verbiage may need to be updated here to avoid confusion later.
I'm certain Ross-Tech has far more pressing items on the to-do list, but wanted to document it before I forget :D

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
I am not a MAC guy, but is it possible to modify your security preferences to allow it to run normally? This might be another option.

Have Fun!

Don

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I am not a MAC guy, but is it possible to modify your security preferences to allow it to run normally?

This is the same concept as when you see a pop-up in Windows and it asks if you'd like to allow an app to make changes to the computer.
Also called UAC.

You may allow apps from anywhere in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy.
However java is locked down tight on the Mac since it is so full of bugs and security concerns.

Double clicking a java app does nothing for most people using a modern version of OS X.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We're looking at ways around that for the next version of the configuration tool (which will also be able to update the HEX-NET via USB so the folks who can't manage to get their HEX-NETs on-line will at least be able to keep 'em current).

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Last night I upgraded to a soon to be released version of Mac OS X.
Today testing the last of the applications I tried the WiFi utility and got the following error:

ScreenShot2014-09-27at131234_zpsf1734246.png

It works perfectly from the command line by issuing java -jar HexNetConfigV1.9.jar in Terminal.

Wanted to pass this along as the verbiage may need to be updated here to avoid confusion later.
I'm certain Ross-Tech has far more pressing items on the to-do list, but wanted to document it before I forget :D

There is an extremely simple fix: just tell Gatekeeper to make an exception for it. If Yosemite does not allow exceptions, then change your Gatekeeper preferences to allow all Mac apps. Terminal bypasses Gatekeeper which is why it works. Come to think of it, can an Automator script be written to run a Terminal command to launch the app?

I'm glad you mentioned this; if I install Yosemite when it is released next month, I'll have to remember to set Gatekeeper to allow all apps. Fortunately, Lion doesn't have Gatekeeper so I don't have these problems.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
There is an extremely simple fix: just tell Gatekeeper to make an exception for it.

Was pleased to see there is a new(?) 'Allow Anyway' button for the last application that Gatekeeper denied in System Preferences.
It still doesn't run with a double click even after allowing it though - javarsc opens but just lays there.

There are some signing differences in the new version of Gatekeepr as well, but that's all I can say.
I think the new configuration tool Ross-Tech is working on will eliminate a lot of these issues so long as it's not java based.

An Automator script is an interesting idea !
I think the app would need to live in Applications proper though for it to work via a 'tell ___ to' command

ps- I think you'll like Yosemite, the fonts and panes are very crisp and make it easier on my aging eyes :)

Back