Updated to Release 23.11 and Having Trouble? Read This Thread

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
In the past, we have gotten some reports from customers of "stuff not working" after updating VCDS. The natural human inclination seems to be to blame the last thing that has changed but we have found explanations and resolutions for most of these cases. Therefore, here are some things to try if "it doesn't work".

1) Make sure you have downloaded Release 23.11 from our website and installed it onto your PC:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/current.php

The updater in VCDS should accomplish the same thing but when in doubt, install a fresh copy.

2) Allow the installer to run through completely, agree to the terms, and unless you have some compelling reason to the contrary, allow it to install into its default location with the default installation options.
NOTE:
  • HEX-NET or HEX-V2 (Current Interfaces): There's no need to install a USB driver so by default in the Choose Components portion of the installation, the box for "Install USB Drivers for Legacy Interfaces" is Unchecked.
  • HEX-USB, KEY-USB, KII-USB, Micro-CAN and HEX+CAN (Legacy Interfaces): These require a USB driver to be installed so in the Choose Components portion of the installation, you should check the box for "Install USB Drivers for Legacy Interfaces".
  • If you have checked that box, then at the end of the installer, it will prompt you to install USB drivers which you should let it do as well.
3) If your interface is plugged into a USB port, unplug it, leave it unplugged for 5 seconds then plug it back in. Depending on the version of Windows it may pop up with a USB Driver Installation Wizard or it may just automatically do its thing. If you encounter difficulties, try these instructions:
XP: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/usb/usb-config-xp.html
Vista/7: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/usb-config-vista.html

4) Start up VCDS (it may have already started at the end of the installation, which is fine). If VCDS won't start up at all after updating, make sure that Zone Alarm or your virus scanner are not blocking/quarantining the file. Make sure it says Release 23.11 at the top of the screen. If says an older version then something didn't go right. Check the shortcut on your desktop to make sure it's for Release 23.11. If needed, exit out of VCDS then repeat steps 1-3.

5) You should get a message saying something about "First Use, No Config File". You should acknowledge that message then go to Options and click Test. In order to fully test the interface, it needs to be connected to a car so that the interface has 12V of power. It doesn't matter if it's a VW/Audi, just something with an OBD-2 port with the key ON. If you test without a car it will be unable to check for a firmware update and will be unable to update (legacy interfaces only).

6) If the Options>Test result shows everything OK but Firmware Update Required, click OK then Update. It should count up to 100%. When it's done click Close then Save.
  • HEX-NET or HEX-V2 interfaces need Internet access to update but do not need to remain connected to the car, just plugged in via USB. Use the Config button to update firmware as explained in this HEX-NET video or this HEX-V2 video. When it's done click Save.
  • Legacy dongle HEX-, Micro-, KII-, KEY- interfaces do not need Internet access to update but DO need to remain connected to both the car and USB. Click OK then Update. It should count up to 100%. When it's done click Close then Save
7) At this point all of the buttons in VCDS should be available so you should try communicating with the car, for example by clicking on Select then 01-Engine then Fault Codes-02.

If you encounter difficulties, check FAQ 2.4 and 2.5

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_2.html#2.4

Specifically, check to make sure that Windows is not turning off the USB ports: go to Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, USB Root Hub, Properties, Power Management, and uncheck "Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power". There are may be several entries with "Root Hub" so make sure to uncheck this on each of them like this: Screenshot

Make sure you have write permission where VCDS is installed (reinstall in the Documents folder if necessary), and remove any extension cable between the PC and the interface. Install and run the software while logged in as an Administrator if needed.

We have had some reports from users of VCDS running very slowly after some recent updates to Microsoft Security Essentials virus scanner. If verify that is the problem, you can add VCDS to the Exception list in Security Essentials. As of October, 2017 BitDefender may prevent VCDS.EXE from starting. Also in November, 2017 we received a report that an expired McAffee prevented the VCDS.EXE from running. Another customer reported Dell Mobile Connect Startup and Dell Mobile Connect Welcome and CCXProcess (which is part of the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC program) caused a problem where the VCDS Infterface Config could not display the interface information.

One customer reported success by completely removing VCDS then performing a registry scan and *.DLL cleanup followed by a reinstall. It shouldn't hurt to try this if you encounter difficulties.

One more thing: if you are using a Virtualized OS like Parallels, Virtual PC, remember those are NOT SUPPORTED as explained in FAQ 1.4

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.4

• We have some reports of customers having difficulty updating firmware or connection problems or even using VCDS at all. A Mac running Bootcamp is fine but any kind of virtual OS is not. If it works for you, great, but if it doesn't the first thing we will suggest is trying a real Windows PC.

• We have had customers reporting problems using VCDS since they have something else connected to the diagnostic port, either a GPS tracker (which can be well-hidden) or add-on gauges like Polar FIS. VCDS needs exclusive access to the diagnostic port in order to communicate.

• We have also had customers who were able to test VCDS successfully but the Config utility could not see the HEX-NET or HEX-V2 due to an HID utility for add-on mice or keyboards being in use at the same time. Run msconfig on your PC to check Startup programs and turn off any that may be interfering: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-9115d841-735e-488d-e749-9ba301d441e6

• If VCDS won't start at all by clicking on the desktop or start menu shortcuts, try reinstalling VCDS and tell it to install 32-bit in a 64-bit system.

• Error 39 in Windows 10 is mentioned in post #30 -and- post #31

• A customer reported the VCDS Config utility was unable to see his interface until he disabled Cortana on his W10 machine. He disabled the service, manually restarted the HID service, and restarted the machine, and then was successfully able to update the firmware.

• With Windows 11, if the driver's won't load, try this: Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation. Is "Memory integrity" turned on? If so, turn it off.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
A customer emailed to report " the program now 'hangs' when trying to select a control module". After going back and forth a bit, he reinstalled 16.8 and says all is ok now. Just in case you have tried everything else, reinstalling shouldn't hurt. Also if you have another PC to use, try that, even if it's something only available on a temporary basis.

Edit: Another customer reports hanging/freezing cured by reinstallation. :confused:

Edit: Another customer reported a problem using the Long Coding Helper and described this fix: "The application now works after setting the permissions to 'Share with - Everybody'. Windows 7 has a more elaborate permissions protocol than XP. I don't think I will ever understand it all. But since I am the only user setting permissions to 'Everybody' is not a big problem."

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Last edited by a moderator:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I'm running Avast and not had any problems with 16.8.0 so it seems not everyone is having problems.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm running Avast and not had any problems with 16.8.0 so it seems not everyone is having problems.
32-bit vs 64-bit? Pure speculation on my part...

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
32-bit vs 64-bit? Pure speculation on my part...
64-bit Windows 8.1 with all updates
64-bit VCDS 16.8.0 Data version 20160803 DS255
Avast Free 11.2.2262

MatrixG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=243861
Hi all! I now that this is not the right place to ask but i don't want to open a new thread for this kind of question. Is there a page where are described changes, improvements or bug correction for new application release (and why not for the previous releases)?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi all! I now that this is not the right place to ask but i don't want to open a new thread for this kind of question. Is there a page where are described changes, improvements or bug correction for new application release (and why not for the previous releases)?
Hasn't been updated with 17.1 info yet:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/revisions.php

-Uwe-

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
We received a report that some driver updating software (eg "driverscanner") can interfere with VCIConfig and prevent it from reading interface info to update a HEX-NET or a HEX-V2. Uninstalling fixes the problem. Apparently VCDS had no trouble.

Plumes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241122
Hi I installed the new vcds version 18.2 on windows 10 pro, but it gives me problems of installing the micro-can, I understand that it does not install the driver.
It gives me error of usb interface not found.
I tried to install on another pc with windows xp and installed the driver correctly.
How can I solve the problem with the PC that has windows 10 pro?
Thanks for your help

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What happens if you run DPINST.EXE in your VCDS folder?

-Uwe-

Plumes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241122
with the inserted cable it gives me error, without cable correctly install the drivers

Plumes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241122
please help me: rolleyes:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So drivers installed correctly?

Plug in the cable. Find it in Device manager and post a screen-shot of its Properties sheet.

-Uwe-

Plumes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241122
E7YqK1F.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Double-click on 'Ross-Tech uCAN-h' and post what you see there.

-Uwe-

Plumes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241122
GxfbSxP.jpg

8L1z1By.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Microsoft recommends the following:

Code 28 "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"
Recommended Resolution

Reinstall the device driver manually

From Start, search for device manager and select Device Manager from the results.
Right-click the device in the list.
Select Uninstall from the menu that appears.
After the device is uninstalled, choose Action on the menu bar.
Select Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver.
Note You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s website.

If that doesn't work, try some of this:
https://www.techcrises.com/how-to/fix-the-drivers-for-this-device-are-not-installed-code-28/

Start at section 3).

-Uwe-

Plumes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241122
thanks but unfortunately I have not solved, the correct drivers where can I find them?
but DPInst.EXE should not install the drivers?
thank you

Back