What arachnid is that?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
We all have little eight legged creatures where we live - here's one of mine that was laying peacefully in wait of a tasty morcel!!

She's called a Saint Andrew's Cross spider - so called because of her bright web decorations - zig-zag ribbons of bluish-white silk that form a full or partial cross through the centre of the orb web. Females (like the one in the picture) have a silvery carapace and a silver, yellow, red and black banded upper abdomen with two longitudinal yellow stripes below. As you can see, the spider sits with her eight legs in pairs. Normally her brown and very drab looking mate sits on one of the top corners of the cross - he's very much smaller than the female and he always pays due respect to her size and her ferocious appetite -a sage lesson for us all (I believe)!!

Don

Taken with a Sony DSC-RX100

L6dUVFC.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure what this one is called:

Creepy-Spider.jpg

Pretty common in Florida.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
We have the "Avondale Spider", which is apparently an Australian Huntsman... They stole our Pavlova first though ;)

10346310.jpg

Do they have to be spiders? We have the Weta too - big, ugly, scary bug thing, thats pretty much harmless.

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
We have the "Avondale Spider", which is apparently an Australian Huntsman... They stole our Pavlova first though ;)

Do they have to be spiders? We have the Weta too - big, ugly, scary bug thing, thats pretty much harmless.

Yeah "ugly" is an understatement - but the Weta is a good play thing for cats (not in Florida)

Don

PS: Thanks for the pav!

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
Don't EVEN try to outdo Aussies on their spiders; they have many that I would actually shoot with a sawed-off loaded with trap loads. Indoors. Well, tha'd make a disgusting mess; never mind. I did have a biker roomate in college empty his .38 snubnose "couch gun" (he had them stashed all over the house) at a spider as he cackled maniacally. Good times. Probably still have hearing damage from that stunt.
I am not afraid of most any wildlife including normal sized spiders, but these things are like friggin lobsters climbing the walls - and fast! (Just ruined my appetite for lobster indefinitely).

-Tom

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Bug-A-Salt! We have one in the office. :thumbs:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Don't EVEN try to outdo Aussies on their spiders; they have many that I would actually shoot with a sawed-off loaded with trap loads. Indoors. Well, tha'd make a disgusting mess; never mind. I did have a biker roomate in college empty his .38 snubnose "couch gun" (he had them stashed all over the house) at a spider as he cackled maniacally. Good times. Probably still have hearing damage from that stunt.
I am not afraid of most any wildlife including normal sized spiders, but these things are like friggin lobsters climbing the walls - and fast! (Just ruined my appetite for lobster indefinitely).

-Tom

Tom - Yes you are correct, we do have some very dangerous spiders, but there has only been one death recorded from a spider bite down here since 1981. Whereas, the annual death by spider bites in USA is 6.5 (see HERE).

Actually, a little over 1,000 Australian citizen lose their lives in car accidents each year, and no one has the same fear (respect?) of vehicles as seems to be engendered by arachnids - not sure why!

Also not sure about your "Don't EVEN try to outdo Aussies on their spiders" comment. You guys up there have some pretty interesting predator spiders that would easily match ours!

For example, your Brown Recluse spider (she's a cutie too) can do interesting things to human flesh (necrosis) - and she has 6 x eyes!!! Uwe's house guest, "Roberta" (sorry Katie, but I suspect there might be a gender problem with your suggested name), could well be a member of this family

Brown-recluse-2-edit.jpg

and your black widow spider (she's an elegant lady indeed) is a very dangerous local species in your country

Northern_Black_Widow_-_Latrodectus_variolus%2C_Woodbridge%2C_Virginia_-_7005698012.jpg

Don

Last edited:

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
Brown recluses are small spiders (6-20 mm legs and all) and very common here in PA. The bites are nasty...the damage can linger for a while. My wife's uncle got bit on the arm by one a few years ago. It took about 8 months for the bite to completely heel. The wound would appear to heal and then flare up again. Brown recluses are often confused with grass spiders in our area. Grass Spiders looks very similar but are harmless to humans which is good because grass spider like to invade basement when it gets cold.

Roberta is most likely a huntsman spider, aka giant crab spider. Scary looking but harmless to humans. http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/spiders/giant_crab_spider.htm

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
OK, enough of this thread! :D

dc9a859f-1eb3-44d0-9459-11db780e729d_300.jpg

71OGfPiNXpL._SL1500_.jpg

...and the special Aussie blend for what's crawling around there:

ap301004.jpg

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Brown recluses are small spiders (6-20 mm legs and all) and very common here in PA. The bites are nasty...the damage can linger for a while. My wife's uncle got bit on the arm by one a few years ago. It took about 8 months for the bite to completely heel. The wound would appear to heal and then flare up again. Brown recluses are often confused with grass spiders in our area. Grass Spiders looks very similar but are harmless to humans which is good because grass spider like to invade basement when it gets cold.

Roberta is most likely a huntsman spider, aka giant crab spider. Scary looking but harmless to humans. http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/spiders/giant_crab_spider.htm

Roberta a huntsman?? hmm.............. your huntsman spiders are very different to ours

Huntsman_spider_on_log.jpg

I guess the only way to find-out is for Roberta to bite someone and wait for necrosis (or not) !! Only kidding:D

Don

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
Bug-A-Salt! We have one in the office. :thumbs:

Haha, why am I even remotely surprised!?

Tom - Yes you are correct, we do have some very dangerous spiders......You guys up there have some pretty interesting predator spiders that would easily match ours!...
For example, your Brown Recluse spider (she's a cutie too) can do interesting things to human flesh (necrosis)...

...and your black widow spider (she's an elegant lady indeed) is a very dangerous local species in your country...

Don

Black Widows are beautiful! Our water meter access box (2X3 foot hole in the ground by the street - ~100 yards from the house) is full of hundreds, and they would make fine jewlery. They don't even look real. I'll try to find a pic.
Most spiders are beneficial as you all probably know. We have many 3" "Garden Spiders" with yellow stripes that build webs in unbelieveable places - like they're trying to snag a person.

I have first-hand experience with a brown recluse bite. I suspect it was living in my pants i keep in the garage for yard-mowing/weed eating (to keep the ticks and chiggers out of the house). Evidently I sat on it and soon had the characteristic pain & redness. I was an EMT and nursing student at the time and went to the doc. He declared it to be an infection of some sort and prescribed antibiotics. At the end of the week's course of antibiotics, I called and told the "nurse" it seemed worse and I had a fever and pain. and she said "Oh, it's just cell-u-LAHT-iss" (cellulitis). I said it wanted to continue the antibiotics and see doc ASAP; of course this was a Thursday before a holiday weekend. She refused to renew the Rx and would not have the doc call me back. Four days later they opened & I drove myself to Nashville and literally forced my way into the doc's office (a BIG MD's group with 4 receptionists and 10+ docs - takes up almost a whole floor of the med center), and dropped trou. He told me to come with him and told the phone girl to call dr so&so and say he was bringing a "red" patient. A couple doors down was a surgeon's office; we walked past the full waiting room and into a treatment room. My bite had become necrotic and infected and stopping the antibiotic caused a rebound effect - it had became much worse.
The surgeon drained and packed it and I have never had so much pain (made a kidney stone feel like a bee sting). I was left with a divot in my glute with a 1cm opening and about 2" X 3" wide. Dr. Assshole would not Rx anything stronger than Hydrocodone 5/500, and I was supposed to "wet-pack" the wound daily (remove the gauze and replace it with fresh saline-moistened gauze). As soon as I started the first time I collapsed in pain; my wife tried and I actually blacked out. Begged doc for topical anesthetic or something injectable to numb the area but no; let alone narcotics besides the weak hydros.
I had a generous trusting friend at the time in the medical profession with unlimited access to all drugs. He couldn't believe I was taking 10 X 60mg codeine 2x a day (but I was and then some) combined with several other opiods and potentiators known to science. It still REALLY hurt. As well as packing this new unwanted hole in my ass with cocaine-soaked gauze to do the dressing changes. Even then it was excruciating. It took a full 25' jar of 1/2" gauze to pack it. The cocaine didn't really work but there was some -caine that worked better. I will testify that pharmaceutical cocaine is a whole 'nother drug than the illicit stuff - my God, I see why Coca-cola took the nation by storm!
Eventually (like a year later) it healed completely but i had a new problem...
I should have sued but went to rehab instead (got a little too used to the high-dose opiods). I thought I could self-regulate the meds, but that didn't work out too well. Common problem for healthcare workers with access to that stuff. All better now (15 years plus), with a new respect for pain complaints, especially those that raise the pt's pulse to ~180 and their temp to 102+. And a new hatred for nurses who think they run the show, and docs who think every pain pt is a "pill-seeker".

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure whether it belongs here or "It was funny to me"...

best-damn-photos-imagine-australia.jpg

Back