Proposal to improve new thread quality

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
There exists a vBulletin 4.2 mod "New Thread / Post Reminder Message" (alternate support doc site). I propose this should be installed and used to throw a New Thread Checklist above most attempts to start a new thread. The plugin can be set to appear only for new threads being started, not for every post. It can use different reminder messages for different subforums, like this:

• In the Support forums, "Would you, pretty please, for the love of Dear Baby Jesus and All That is Good and Holy, include a complete un-edited Auto-Scan using these handy instructions because it's the very first thing we need to even begin thinking about your problem", perhaps a link to a video on how to use CODE tags, a link to Wiki or JPPSG, etc.
  • In the Reference Scans forum, provide a quick summary and a link to Jef's rules.
  • In the Pre-Sales Support and New User forums, "Are you trying to become a Verified User? Go here! And if you are Verified, you probably want to post -> Over There"

If desired, it can be set to include or exclude certain usergroups, or go away after a certain post or thread count, etc but just for new threads being started, IMO it would be simpler and totally fine to always display a tasteful and condensed reminder for all users.

Example:

markfl_ntm_newreply.png

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I like the idea...

But one question is, how long we're going to stick with vBulletin 4.2 (or any version of vBulletin). The fact is, 4.2 is no longer being worked on at all, and the 5.x stuff is not very popular.

This makes me reluctant to do much customization.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
But one question is, how long we're going to stick with vBulletin 4.2 (or any version of vBulletin). The fact is, 4.2 is no longer being worked on at all, and the 5.x stuff is not very popular.
Any idea what software you might switch to?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Any idea what software you might switch to?
As a user, I'm liking Xenforo quite a bit. Some other forums that I frequent on a personal basis have made the switch, and some of the developers are people who used to be behind vBulletin. However, I'm not too sure about their admin functions...

-Uwe-

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
How about just having the 'new thread' screen getting an extra input field where one has to input an auto-scan before you can click 'post'? No need for people to use code tags (since the field would automatically use them on whatever is entered) and if you give it a minimum character limit equal to the amount of characters an auto-scan definitely has (lets say only the header or an auto-scan without any modules) you would also prevent people from mashing a few keys to continue...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How about just having the 'new thread' screen getting an extra input field where one has to input an auto-scan before you can click 'post'? No need for people to use code tags (since the field would automatically use them on whatever is entered) and if you give it a minimum character limit equal to the amount of characters an auto-scan definitely has (lets say only the header or an auto-scan without any modules) you would also prevent people from mashing a few keys to continue...
We're really not inclined to do that kind of customization to the forum software, especially since the forum software we're currently using is at end of supported life.

-Uwe-

Back