Battery Coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Putting this up for review. Provided no one finds any major errors due to my drunk editing, it will be released into the wild.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think the narrator should say something, like:

"First, let's do one one with a separate BEM module at address 61" at ~1:36

"Now let's do a newer one with the BEM located in a non-UDS gateway" at ~3:00

"And last, we'll do one with the BEM in a UDS gateway" at ~4:45

-Uwe-

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Nice video Jef. Does this apply to all battery replacements on VAG vehicles or just later models?

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Minor voice overs added. No new Easter Eggs added.

Nice video Jef. Does this apply to all battery replacements on VAG vehicles or just later models?

Mainly for Audi vehicles, those with a Battery Energy Management. In the US market, starting with the 2004 A8 (4E). I think the only the current generation Touareg is the only VW that uses it.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Phaetons probably have it as well. ;)

-Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Phaetons probably have it as well.
We have 71-Battery Charger but it doesn't keep track of battery serial numbers. It basically isolates and DC-DC charges the starter battery, and controls various emergency start scenarios. You can't even tell it the start battery type, which can be FLA or AGM depending on your engine type.

I'll stop there, because I have an extensive rant about how very stupid the Phaeton battery manager control module is, and I doubt you care. :)

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How about current Phaetons? You know, the ones VW still sells in Europe? I they've been revised a bit..

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It's a great start for a baseline Jef.

To be forced to the OEM battery is a problem.
I am really surprised someone hasn't hacked it to death to disable this marry requirement or a class action.

It's dumb to not just be able to plug in generic numbers for Ah, group, CCA and be done with it.

Rubix cube battery........ wonderful....!

Oh yeah VCDS can adapt it cool.............

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
How about current Phaetons? You know, the ones VW still sells in Europe? I they've been revised a bit..
A good question... I had to check. Through at least 2014, not only does it use the same type of system, it's the exact same part number. Literally untouched. I don't have information on 2015.

There was supposed to be a big new MLB-based platform refresh in the works. But, the Phaeton has always lost money for Volkswagen, and it was always Dr. Piech's personal baby. Now that he's gone, it may never see the light of day. They've just pulled the existing Phaeton out of the UK market entirely.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A good question... I had to check. Through at least 2014, not only does it use the same type of system, it's the exact same part number. Literally untouched.
Wow. That's a surprise.

-Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
.. and the video is now public.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Wow. That's a surprise.
Technically it's rev-E now, but my rev-D has been dropped and superseded to it. So there's a non-zero chance of firmware mods, but whatever the 2014 has can be installed in a 2004-2006.

They really haven't done much with the car since introduction. Somewhere in the 2011 area, it got new sheet-metal with the new Volkswagen design language, and they borrowed the Touareg instrument cluster upgrade, and they bolted climate control knobs onto an RNS-510 and called it an RNS-810. A couple more minor gadgets added, a couple gadgets actually taken away. That's about it.

There's some guy over in the UK who bought an older Phaeton someone used to try a cluster upgrade. It actually kinda halfway worked, and I'm not even sure how hard he tried. Someday if the Phaetons start appreciating like your Eurovan, I'll give it a shot.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back