Mileage check

amer

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm pretty new into this and find it very interesting,

I'm interested is it possible to verify true mileage in VCDS. I'm familiar with EDC 15-16 option. When we ran this option in a MK5 Golf, we got a reading of 8 km. I'm suspecting it was rolled back.
When the DTC are listed the mileage that they appeared they match to mileage on the instrument cluster. ( what i suspect the mileage wasn't just edited in EEPROM chip on back of the cluster...)
What I'm interested in, do different modules in the car also store mileage. If they do, can someone tell me which ones, and under witch channel ?

Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Some automatic transmissions do. Other than that, I'm not sure.

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
When we ran this option in a MK5 Golf, we got a reading of 8 km. I'm suspecting it was rolled back.

Which is a known bug, VCDS is looking at the wrong place for some ECMs. So ignore what VCDS says there and either ask somebody who can manually check the dump or use another tool.

What I'm interested in, do different modules in the car also store mileage. If they do, can someone tell me which ones, and under witch channel ?

This depends highly on the specific model (incl. year) as well as the installed options. In order to give you some better info, start by posting an Auto-Scan.

amer

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, i will check if i have a autosave doc.
What "other," tool is good for mileage check?

Is there a memory dump off all DTC's from begining of car life?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is there a memory dump off all DTC's from begining of car life?
No. Cars do not maintain a log of previously stored DTCs. Once they are cleared, they are gone.

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
No. Cars do not maintain a log of previously stored DTCs. Once they are cleared, they are gone.

Not entirely true. While the actual fault code memory is cleared, the internal memory is a different story (though that is not accessible with regular diagnostic tools). There are also cases (certain control modules) where you can see references for special DTCs in the measuring values even after the codes have been cleared. So again, it all depends on the circumstances, the specific model & model year as well as the issue you are trying to investigate.

Back