Audi Q3 TPMS enabling

somedude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=306296
Thank you very much, Dana.

When I caught a glimpse of your post it felt like Christmas for a second. :)
That seems similar to my (wife's) '12 Tiggy, also with the 510 radio.
It has an address of 0x56, whereas the Q3 has 0x5F instead, so I doubt that there would be any matches.
And I believe that some of the older (maybe direct TPMS) units have a reset button, rather than the MMI menu.

I still have hope, though.
A friend of mine with a 2016 Q3 has factory TPMS enabled. If, by luck, the radio has similar coding (it has NAV, mine doesn't), maybe I can get a scan.
I see him very rarely, though, so this will have to wait a bit longer.

I also posted elsewhere a request for adaptations and mappings, but nothing.
:banghead:

Thank you for looking into this. :)

somedude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=306296
Update, for the sake of closure.

My friend’s Canadian Q3 also lacks the TPMS reset menu in MMI, nor do they have an LED when ignition is on.
So I suspect they don’t have TPMS enabled either.
Fearing that I would waste my last VIN on their car, needlessly, I did not try any scan for ADP or MVB.

Too bad, this looks pretty bleak.
Another post where I was hoping to get some data, seems to point to a dead end.

This is very disappointing. The only good news is that I do have TPMS enabled and it works right, just no way to reset it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This is very disappointing. The only good news is that I do have TPMS enabled and it works right, just no way to reset it.
There's a Basic Setting that might do it:
IDE05334 -- Reset tire pressure monitoring display warnings

-Uwe-

somedude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=306296
Uwe,

Thank you very much, this helps, the last time it happened I disabled/re-enabled TPMS.
Granted, I was taking it in, so I left it disabled until I got it back, but this helps performing a reset without going through all that trouble.
I was surprised that once the tire pressure was back to normal, it didn't auto-reset, but I think that's normal for most cars.

I initially thought I wold be able to "Reset codes" for the module, but this looks like a direct method to reset TPMS with VCDS. Thank you for that.

But in my post above I was really referring to the inability to reset in MMI, without having to use the interface...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I initially thought I wold be able to "Reset codes" for the module, but this looks like a direct method to reset TPMS with VCDS. Thank you for that.
Well, I'm not positive this will do what you want, but if it were my car, I'd try it.

But in my post above I was really referring to the inability to reset in MMI, without having to use the interface...
I'm not sure what it would take to make it happen in the MMI. A couple of the VWs we've had with indirect TPMS have come equipped with a dedicated reset button in the glovebox. You get a TMPS warning, you check and adjust your pressures, and press the button. The warning goes away and the system re-learns the rotational characteristics of the tires. I do not think the warning will ever go away on its own, even if you correct the pressures, but I'm not 100% certain. And of course those are VWs with the infotainment systems less tightly integrated with the rest of the car than your MMI.

-Uwe-

somedude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=306296
Thank you for replying.

From what I found on the web, newer vehicles with indirect TPMS have a menu in MMI to reset/teach the system.
Those options appear to be right next to the service interval reset/oil change, in the car menu.

That is what I was hoping to achieve, but it doesn't look like there is any information for my radio/MMI.
I only continued to pursue this because of the convenience and ease of having that entry, no other reason.

Example: Enabling TPMS A3

Last edited:

Caven

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure if I'm missing something, but is this what you're trying to achieve (see images)?
I do believe that's what he's after, but the control modules in his Q3 are quite a bit different than your Q7.

-Uwe-

Caven

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
I do believe that's what he's after, but the control modules in his Q3 are quite a bit different than your Q7.

-Uwe-

Got it. BTW, is there a reason why I can't see the actually pressure of my tires? My 2018 Chevy Malibu shows me the PSI of each tire, so I"m surprised I can't see it anywhere in my Q7. Is there a way to enable this?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Got it. BTW, is there a reason why I can't see the actually pressure of my tires? My 2018 Chevy Malibu shows me the PSI of each tire, so I"m surprised I can't see it anywhere in my Q7. Is there a way to enable this?
Not sure which type of system your Q7 has. If it's "indirect" (ABS wheel speed based), the car doesn't know the actual pressures. Knowing the actual pressures requires a "direct" (sensor in each rim) type system. There are upsides and downsides to both.

-Uwe-

somedude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=306296
Sorry for disappearing, it's been a crazy month!

@Caven, yes, indeed that is exactly what I am trying to enable.

@Uwe, sorry, I didn't yet have a chance to test and pressure was still balanced on the car. ;)
I have Nitrogen in the tires, so if I deflate one to test, I gotta go to Costco to get it refilled.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
@Uwe, sorry, I didn't yet have a chance to test and pressure was still balanced on the car. ;)
I have Nitrogen in the tires, so if I deflate one to test, I gotta go to Costco to get it refilled.
I use 78% nitrogen in my tires. :D

-Uwe-

somedude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=306296
There's a Basic Setting that might do it:
IDE05334 -- Reset tire pressure monitoring display warnings

-Uwe-

Well, I'm in a pickle. I got the message in MMI about the tires being low.
I pumped back up with 78% N2 and tried to reset the modulw with VCDS (latest f/w and vcds as of today).

The basic setting above does exist and when I hit Go! it shows: ERROR Security access required.
When I go to Security access - 16 and enter the suggested code, it is accepted.
But then if I go back in the basic setting and try again, same error message.

I am at a loss. Is there a sequence for doing this?
Now I am afraid to disable TPMS to force a reset, in case it won't allow me to re-enable it back...

Thank you very much for any pointers.

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104)       Labels: 5N0-614-109-V1.clb
   Part No SW: 5N0 614 109 CF    HW: 5N0 614 109 CJ
   Component: ESC-EBC460iV1 H12 0013  
   Serial number: A01DDR6
   Coding: 42FF269F492143702077420964C592C20424D500508B4883
   Shop #: WSC 00049 770 00154
   ASAM Dataset: EV_Brake1ESCEPBTRW 006353
   ROD: EV_Brake1ESCEPBTRW_006.rod
   VCID: 71BCDCAB91218B7F357-8024

1 Fault Found:
0763 - Tire Pressure Warning 
          C102D 00 [137] - -
          MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 4
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 209
                    Mileage: 31953 km
                    Date: 2019.07.11
                    Time: 18:03:41

Additional_Codes: 1F 25 00 0E 04 7F 00 48 02
                    DTC: 00 02 FB
                    Additional2: 04 05 01 00 05 22 61 00 61 00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
40168 probably isn't the correct SA code for that specific Basic Settings. I don't have a known good code for that ESC-EBC460iV1 module however many of the latest cars accept similar, if not identical, codes so it might not hurt to check out Don's MQB/Golf 7 list:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?19270-MQB-platform-Security-Codes-(SA)-work-in-progress

Keep in mind that you need to keep Adv Measuring Value [*IDE00323*] Security Access: Number of invalid keys at 0 through 2. After you hit 3 you won't be able to enter any more codes. So, if you strike out on one make sure to enter 40168 and check to see if it zeroed before moving onto the next.

Edit. GRR, the acronym gizmo in our forum is breaking Don's link. Try this https://tinyurl.com/y3gp5ogx

somedude

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=306296
40168 probably isn't the correct SA code for that specific Basic Settings. I don't have a known good code for that ESC-EBC460iV1 module however many of the latest cars accept similar, if not identical, codes so it might not hurt to check out Don's MQB/Golf 7 list:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?19270-MQB-platform-Security-Codes-(SA)-work-in-progress

Keep in mind that you need to keep Adv Measuring Value [*IDE00323*] Security Access: Number of invalid keys at 0 through 2. After you hit 3 you won't be able to enter any more codes. So, if you strike out on one make sure to enter 40168 and check to see if it zeroed before moving onto the next.

Edit. GRR, the acronym gizmo in our forum is breaking Don's link. Try this https://tinyurl.com/y3gp5ogx

Dana,

Thank you very much, this is invaluable information, I had no idea of the SA reset issue.

For the time being, I disabled TPMS and re-enabled back so that I can get out of this pickle and "teach" the module the new values.
As a side note, I still wasn't able to find any information on my radio module to eventually enable the MMI menu, other than what was posted on this thread (only parameters can enable that).

Best regards.

Back