Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
So it looks like it's going to be Trump vs. Biden ....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So it looks like it's going to be Trump vs. Biden ....
I think that's been apparent for the better part of a month; since the Super Tuesday results came in.

-Uwe-

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
I would have said Biden had a chance, but he legitimately has looked to have senility kicking in during recent interviews.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Palilalia (from the Greek πάλιν (pálin) meaning "again" and λαλιά (laliá) meaning "speech" or "to talk"), a complex tic, is a language disorder characterized by the involuntary repetition of syllables, words, or phrases.

I wonder who does this tremendous perfect criteria?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palilalia

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Are you saying that mental stability and acuity are necessary qualifications for serving as President?

hmm..... an interesting question - the answer to which (I suspect) may be contentious among many Americans for past, present and future POTUSes (what is the plural spelling for POTUS?)

However, the same question placed in the context of the required qualifications in those countries that have a monarch as head-of-state (like Australia) is much more compelling- I think.

As I said in another place recently, in 16 x Commonwealth realms and in many other countries that have a King/Queen - the sole · single · one· only · solitary · lone · unique (multiple tautology intentional) "necessary qualification" for their POTUS equivalent is simply the individual's DNA!

And yes, I can hear responses saying that the King/Queen in these countries often takes a ceremonial role in the system of Government - but when it really counts - like when there is a constitutional crisis - the real power of the un-elected ruler becomes apparent (as Australians found to their chagrin in 1975 and as I understand is the case in UK if a sitting PM dies)

@jyoung - so I would welcome being a citizen of a country like yours where your question is real and debatable. Alas, for many of us foreigners, asking even such a fundamental question is moot !!

Don

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Great quote from the BBC Washington correspondent yesterday:

"When voters go to the polls Trump wants to be remembered for reducing unempolyment and revitalising the US economy as well as beating Covid-19; unfortunately Covid-19 doesn't understand there's an election coming this Autumn!" (quote may not be verbatim).

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Dave: The approval rating of our PM (ScoMo) has gone-through-the-roof following the imposition of covid restrictions and the allied spending spree (3% of Australis's GDP) - which I suspect is more related to voter approval.

I recall reading that this dynamic often happens when a country goes to war and covid is a sort-of community war.

There can be no doubt that voters WILL mark the report-card of their country's leader according to how well the individual is perceived to have performed during the pandemic. The unfortunate fact is that Australia does not have a federal election soon - so ScoMo's shining pandemic halo may well diminish with time and it certainly will diminish with fading voter memory.

America's situation is of course very different. It's not clear how covid will impact the November exercise - but even from a foreigner's perspective, there most assuredly will be an effect.

I sit here reading very grim statistics about what's happening in USA and the numbers are absolutely staggering (and frighteningly desperate for locals, I suspect). Yes, to an extent, the media does accentuate the negatives, but even accounting for this tendency, it seems bad for many regions (accepting Uwe's point that the spread of the virus is fragmented across States) !

Politics is a quasi-religion in many countries and America seems to be no exception. So doubtless the views of Democrat/Republican fundamentalists won't alter - in the same way that Christian/Islamic/Buddhist faith can't be changed for religious fundamentalists.

But this group aside, it's not unreasonable to expect that the views of great-unwashed mass of citizens will be modulated by their perception of the Government's covid performance (measured by infection spread/deaths, community angst). Most certainly the Senate's $6 trillion allocation (a massive 30% GDP) will go some way in supporting the Republican case. But weighed against this fiscal injection will be the numbers IMO.

And of course the other interesting and equally unknown matter is how will America run an election in a (post?) covid environment? Will the massive rallies that have been the hallmark of past elections be appropriate, how will covid fear in the community impact the already historically low voter participation and how will social distancing rules impact the practical aspects of the election in general? Remembering of course that it's highly unlikely that a covid vaccine will be available in November and even in the very small chance that it is available, it most certainly won't be distributed in the population in large numbers.

Perhaps the US election will be postponed - lot's of less likely things have happened across the world because of the pandemic (what was impossible is now not so)?

Don

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Most certainly the Senate's $130 trillion allocation (a massive 30% GDP)
Wut? US GDP was ~$21.5 trillion in 2019.

Will the massive rallies that have been the hallmark of past elections
They've only been the hallmark of one election, and one candidate...

Perhaps the US election will be postponed
That has never happened -- not even in the midst of the American Civil War -- and I can't imagine it happening now either. It would not be terribly difficult to implement a vote-by-mail system. Some states already have them, although personally, I think they create the potential for considerable fraud.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Wut? US GDP was ~$21.5 trillion in 2019.
-Uwe-

oops - should read $6 trillion, but the % number is still correct (and is still astonishing!) Thanks for identifying

Don

national post said:
Together with Fed intervention, the proposed legislation amounted to a $6 trillion stimulus, according to White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow, or about 30 per cent of annual GDP.
from here

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
That has never happened -- not even in the midst of the American Civil War -- and I can't imagine it happening now either. It would not be terribly difficult to implement a vote-by-mail system. Some states already have them, although personally, I think they create the potential for considerable fraud.

-Uwe-

Oh no, more dead people voting from the cemetery and now living dead?

Fake news? :rolleyes:

April fools rotten Easter bunny eggs!

https://www.wafb.com/2019/04/22/easter-bunny-breaks-up-easter-night-brawl-orlando/

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
So - with 6 months remaining before the US election (assuming of course that the election will still happen), what's the feeling amongst voters? Will the result be a referendum on Trump's covid performance -or is the pre-covid rhetoric by Republicans about their economic achievements still the central issue? And in a likely persisting covid community infection, will it matter who the Democrat candidate is?

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So - with 6 months remaining before the US election (assuming of course that the election will still happen), what's the feeling amongst voters? Will the result be a referendum on Trump's covid performance -or is the pre-covid rhetoric by Republicans about their economic achievements still the central issue? And in a likely persisting covid community infection, will it matter who the Democrat candidate is?
Barring any currently unforeseen events, the election will happen. We had an election in 1864 during our Civil War. We had an election in 1944 during WWII. If people can go to the grocery store, they can go vote. There are also moves afoot to make remote voting (vote-by-mail, etc) more common.

As for the outcome of the election, I think it is too early to make any meaningful predictions; there is way too much uncertainty about the state of the country and the economy six months from now.

Does it matter who the Democratic candidate is? To the many Democrats who suffer from extreme Trump Derangement Syndrome, no, not really.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I merely try to figure the outcome by common sense and who will entertain me the most. :rolleyes:

Trump had some entertaining characteristics, no doubt but like with any fad it won't be the in thing forever & I believe that people are tired of both sides running their mouth on news. It is time for a new toy!

As of right now, Trump has people uneasy by his own verbals and this includes his own base. They don't feel entertained by big banks sticking it in the small business sector.
Poor people on bread lines already, you can bet they will vote Democrat as will anyone in foreclosure, back rent and unemployed & because they believe behind a closed curtain that they will get some type of help were current rich are inline to shove it right up the poor guys ass.
As it becomes more apparent he won't be being reelected the economy will fulfil the already apocalyptic track it is on & the gravitation to a public healthcare option.
Right now, Banks, medical industry, insurance and big pharmaceutical are ringing the register!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
To the many Democrats who suffer from extreme Trump Derangement Syndrome, no, not really.

-Uwe-

Is "extreme Trump Derangement Syndrome" a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back