HEX-V2 Product Announcement / Introduction

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
@ Uwe, any thoughts to making the vin limits subject to an annual rolling count?

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement without making it possible to 'game', but I would like to see something how google/apple/amazon lets you add/remove various devices from your account subject to various time limits.

While this doesn't really affect me since I have unlimited hex-net, I would like to see something like;

- every rolling 12 months (or whatever timeframe you feel is most appropriate), the oldest vin can (but does not have to) be replaced with a new vin, automatically without having to take up precious support time.

This could be validated automatically on the back end via vcds to vcds-cloud, and you could still track all vin's internally to avoid abuse.

Essentially, I am asking you to allow for VIN's to automatically expire over time in an automated and secure manner.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
could you clarify, are operations in the basic function area unlimited, and those on the right side, advanced functions, subject to the VIN count?
As a general rule of thumb, yes. I've been meaning to (and it's still in my queue) to make a detailed post about VIN limits in its own thread.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
@ Uwe, any thoughts to making the vin limits subject to an annual rolling count?

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement without making it possible to 'game', but I would like to see something how google/apple/amazon lets you add/remove various devices from your account subject to various time limits.

While this doesn't really affect me since I have unlimited hex-net, I would like to see something like;

- every rolling 12 months (or whatever timeframe you feel is most appropriate), the oldest vin can (but does not have to) be replaced with a new vin, automatically without having to take up precious support time.

This could be validated automatically on the back end via vcds to vcds-cloud, and you could still track all vin's internally to avoid abuse.

Essentially, I am asking you to allow for VIN's to automatically expire over time in an automated and secure manner.
Not feasible with the way this is currently implemented. Bear in mind that the devices Google, Apple, and Amazon make are close to always connected, whereas both the HEX-V2 and the HEX-NET are essentially stand-alone devices when used as interfaces for VCDS.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Conceptually yes, but not quite literally. The HEX-V2 does have a completely different circuit board.
HEX-V2 is quite figuratively a HEX-NET without the extra hardware needed for wireless or VCDS Mobile.

Better? :p

All I know is, when I plug one into my Phaeton, it just works. Which is more than I can say for my Phaeton, which shat its TCM last week. I'm hoping it's just a fuse but haven't had an opportunity to dig into it very much yet.

Jason

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Not feasible with the way this is currently implemented. Bear in mind that the devices Google, Apple, and Amazon make are close to always connected, whereas both the HEX-V2 and the HEX-NET are essentially stand-alone devices when used as interfaces for VCDS.

-Uwe-

Sure, but VCDS could be used to authenticate/expire the VIN's whenever connected to the internet and validates with your servers.

In the case of no internet connection for VCDS, then no expiration or validation of new vins would be accommodated.

Thanks for the feedback, perhaps it could be kept in mind for future.

The main reason I bring it up, is if I were an existing customer with an older device, or a new customer choosing between an unlimited older device, and a newer device with permanent VIN limits, I would think twice about the new one and probably go with the old unlimited model.

Unless of course I needed the new model to support new a new vehicle, in which case I would simply be angry/frustrated at having to choose between old unlimited, and new restricted versions (or having to pay more for the unlimited).

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
The HEX-V2 does have a completely different circuit board. There is much commonality in terms of the CPU and the circuitry that communicates with the car, but the HEX-V2 does not have the WiFi module, the on-board storage, or the fancy power supply needed to support the power-hungry WiFi module and the low-power mode that allows a HEX-NET to be permanently installed in a car.

-Uwe-

Uwe: The capabilities and the limitations of the HEX-V2 are becoming clearer - thanks for the explanations.

I understand (I think) about the missing WIFI (with it's "fancy power supply") facility and the Low power mode, but a little intrigued about the "on-board storage" omission. What does this do on the HEX-NET that would not happen on the HEX-V2 and from a practical application perspective how would this deficiency become manifest to the user?

Don

PS: I assume in the fullness of time a simple "compare table" will be provided on the shopping page

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Don, the on-board storage is used mainly for VCDS-Mobile. Amongst other things, this is where your VCDS-Mobile Auto-Scans are stored. in HEX-V2 there is obviously no VCDS-Mobile and so no need for storage. :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Don, the on-board storage is used mainly for VCDS-Mobile.
I think it's safe to say that it's used exclusively for VCDS-Mobile. Not just for the scans and logs, but also for the data that VCDS-Mobile needs; the fault code database, the label files, and the ROD files for UDS modules. VCDS doesn't need any of that in the interface.

-Uwe-

Ciamardo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105004
I have just seen this nice news ..... :thumbs:
https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN

i think that more customer of HEX-CAN+USB now will wait the opportunity to use the "The Upgrade Program Inteface" with HEX V2 Unlimited VIN :rolleyes:

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
So is there going to be an unlimited VIN (or professional) V2 available? Or is it just buy the 10 VIN product and use the upgrade path?

AMBSC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=233374
V2 is FULLY compatible with MLB Evo and the new fancy MQBs with MIB3 and Virtual Cockpit/Active Info Display?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
V2 is FULLY compatible with MLB Evo and the new fancy MQBs with MIB3 and Virtual Cockpit/Active Info Display?

As far as we can tell, yes, fully compatible. And if not right this moment, the new hardware will support any needed changes to get there! The older products would not.

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
So is there going to be an unlimited VIN (or professional) V2 available? Or is it just buy the 10 VIN product and use the upgrade path?

I am also in this camp and would presume that most in a similar position to me would be too.

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
I'm very sorry to hear about the vin limit :( as an enthusiast, I don't just use VCDS to diagnose my own cars, but also to help out dozens of people, for free, locally to fix their own car and save on expensive garage costs. People that are often a bit naieve, and vulnerable to shady garages that would otherwise rip them off. How can I continue to do this with such a hefty price tag on extra vins?

Even if I go to buy a car, I will always take my trusty VCDS with me, I might look at 3-4 cars in a day, so I'm going to be forced to pay out for unlimited to be able to continue as I am with the latest interface?

I love the product, and it's served me well for years, but this move is moving away from the affordability and good will culture that has always surrounded the product and it's users.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm very sorry to hear about the vin limit :( as an enthusiast, I don't just use VCDS to diagnose my own cars, but also to help out dozens of people, for free, locally to fix their own car and save on expensive garage costs. People that are often a bit naieve, and vulnerable to shady garages that would otherwise rip them off. How can I continue to do this with such a hefty price tag on extra vins?

Even if I go to buy a car, I will always take my trusty VCDS with me, I might look at 3-4 cars in a day, so I'm going to be forced to pay out for unlimited to be able to continue as I am with the latest interface?

I love the product, and it's served me well for years, but this move is moving away from the affordability and good will culture that has always surrounded the product and it's users.
Have you read this?

What functions are not VIN-Restricted?
A VIN-Limited interface can do Auto-Scans, Clear DTCs, and look at Measuring Values on an unlimited number of cars. I think this is important because I wouldn't want to keep an enthusiast from trying to doing basic diagnostics on his friends' cars, or to use his VCDS when evaluating used cars he's contemplating buying. You wouldn't buy a used car without doing an Auto-Scan on it first, right? In addition, you can make channel maps on an unlimited number of cars because sending us those maps helps us improve the product.

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Have you read this?

-Uwe-

Sorry boss. As I wrote in my blog, Is reading really a bad thing?, people do not wish to read. They prefer to be engaged by graphical and interactive means. Reading is just too old school.

Now you and I are definitely old school and we like to read and write. But others do not. Perhaps Jef should do a video on the VIN limit so people might understand the concept. With Jef's sense of humor, I'm sure he can come up with an idea that might fly..

Danners74

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273244
WHat are vin limits?

Apologies for my ignorance here being a newbie and that.........:confused:

Back