Any way to get hex+can interface to work on polo 2018?

incartunes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162896
hi chaps, i must have missed the announcement on the new interface, have a car booked in today for reverse camera install and need to recode radio. all im getting is vehicle not supported update to new interface.
any way around it so i can finish this job then get the new one ordered.

or any chaps around newcastle UK, that have one could swing by for some dollar and turn it on?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
VW have changed so much in some of the newer modules that the HEX-CAN just cannot be upgraded to work with them by only a software update, so you're going to need to get either a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET to work on the newest vehicles.

I'm in Devon so can't help - sorry...

Reactions: Uwe

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I'm in Newcastle, finish work at about 16:00 - where abouts are you?

Reactions: Uwe

incartunes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162896
cheers chaps, seems there is no way around it for now.

Zenerdiode, just in seaton delaval, however, have explained to customer etc and he was ok, kit is all installed and he has taken car back, he is just going to pop in when we get sorted with a new interface, if i do get stuck though, interface is delayed or whatever, and you dont mind calling out i'll give you a shout if its ok.

next question, what are people upgrading to?
gendan are listing the hex-v2 with unlimited vin which i think will suit us, not too worried about the lambo not being supported, my only worry was it looks very similar to the hex+can and wondered if it was a stop gap and not planned to be supported for as long as the hex-net?

not worried about wifi or mobile/tablet use (or should i be?)

cheers
David

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
next question, what are people upgrading to?
gendan are listing the hex-v2 with unlimited vin which i think will suit us, not too worried about the lambo not being supported, my only worry was it looks very similar to the hex+can and wondered if it was a stop gap and not planned to be supported for as long as the hex-net?
The HEX-NET has actually been around for several years longer than the HEX-V2, but they are closely related. The HEX-V2 is basically a HEX-NET without the WiFi, the on-board storage needed for VCDS-Mobile, and a much simpler power supply section. We expect both to be supported for a long time to come. Look at it this way: The previous generation HEX+CAN was introduced in 2004 and is still supported; it just doesn't work properly with some of the latest cars, and that's primarily because we ran out of space for further enhancements in the micro-controllers in those interfaces.

not worried about wifi or mobile/tablet use (or should i be?)
As a shop, I wouldn't be. VCDS-Mobile is great for the individual owner who wants to have some basic diagnostics with him at all times, but the Windows/PC version is still where everything new is supported first.

-Uwe-

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Zenerdiode, just in seaton delaval, however, have explained to customer etc and he was ok...

Haha! Thanks. I'm in Gateshead and you know how bad the A1/A19/Coast Road get at this time of the night. :)

incartunes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162896
The HEX-NET has actually been around for several years longer than the HEX-V2, but they are closely related. The HEX-V2 is basically a HEX-NET without the WiFi, the on-board storage needed for VCDS-Mobile, and a much simpler power supply section. We expect both to be supported for a long time to come. Look at it this way: The previous generation HEX+CAN was introduced in 2004 and is still supported; it just doesn't work properly with some of the latest cars, and that's primarily because we ran out of space for further enhancements in the micro-controllers in those interfaces.

As a shop, I wouldn't be. VCDS-Mobile is great for the individual owner who wants to have some basic diagnostics with him at all times, but the Windows/PC version is still where everything new is supported first.

-Uwe-

cheers Uwe put my mind at rest, have ordered hex-v2 from the UK distributor.
looking at the trade in offer and the price they are selling privately, are there any issues selling this unit on with it already being registered to us?

one thing that may be worth a mention, although not needed now for me lol. the program is quick to tell you its out of date and new software available etc, would be good if there was a way of checking your not going to be caught out with whatever current interface on the car you plan to work on before plugging the car in. looks like ive been living in a hole as this is the first ive noticed that there are different interfaces that the hex can, thought it was still the daddy!

incartunes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162896
Haha! Thanks. I'm in Gateshead and you know how bad the A1/A19/Coast Road get at this time of the night. :)

pmsl, aye, wouldnt fancy tackling that traffic. worked at team valley for a bit and if i got it wrong or got held up by 5 mins could easily add another hour to get home!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
looking at the trade in offer and the price they are selling privately, are there any issues selling this unit on with it already being registered to us?
Yes and no. You're certainly free to sell it on, and the new owner will have full use of the software. However, the new owner won't be a "registered user" (i.e. eligible for support and upgrades) unless he transfers the registration into his name with us at a cost of $99.

one thing that may be worth a mention, although not needed now for me lol. the program is quick to tell you its out of date and new software available etc, would be good if there was a way of checking your not going to be caught out with whatever current interface on the car you plan to work on before plugging the car in. looks like ive been living in a hole as this is the first ive noticed that there are different interfaces that the hex can, thought it was still the daddy!
Well, software updates are free of cost, so I don't mind "pushing" customers a bit to keep their software up-to-date.

But of course we can't give away new hardware for free. Moreover, I don't want us to be perceived as pushing costly interface upgrades on people who don't need them yet, and since we can't tell what car someone will be working on next, that leaves me in a bit of a quandary how to handle this.

Bottom line: Anyone who is working on 2016 (ROW) or 2017 (NAR) or newer models should consider an upgrade, as that's when the true incompatibilities with some control modules start. Beyond that, anything with an all-new chassis (such has that Polo) introduced since early 2017 requires a new interface, as does any 2019 or newer model.

But there are plenty of customers who just don't see those cars yet, and I don't want to annoy them. :)

-Uwe-

Last edited:

BavarianCare

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11022

-Uwe-

Thanks Uwe,
I just ordered a V2 from Logic (Peter Carey) in Ireland.
Is there a market for selling my HEX-CAN secondhand or have the eBay fakes ruined that?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is there a market for selling my HEX-CAN secondhand or have the eBay fakes ruined that?
Actually, genuine ones usually bring a good price. People do seem to understand the difference. Make sure you you post a few good pics and warrant that it's genuine.

-Uwe-

BavarianCare

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11022
Actually, genuine ones usually bring a good price. People do seem to understand the difference. Make sure you you post a few good pics and warrant that it's genuine.

-Uwe-

Received V2 today.
However, for now I'll keep my old HEX+CAN.
Will it have to activate on server or is it good to go from the case?
Only reason I ask is that I've a 2019MY Superb to look at in morning where there is no internet access.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Received V2 today.
However, for now I'll keep my old HEX+CAN.
Will it have to activate on server or is it good to go from the case?
Only reason I ask is that I've a 2019MY Superb to look at in morning where there is no internet access.
You get a number of uses (nominally 15) before it must be registered. That said, I would plug it in and make sure the firmware in it is up-to-date before I took it and tried to use it where there is no internet access.

-Uwe-

BavarianCare

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11022
If I plug it into any old VAG model will it be enough to register that way without being plugged into 2019MY model?
Thanks again.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

BavarianCare

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11022
If I plug it into any old VAG model will it be enough to register that way without being plugged into 2019MY model?
Thanks again.

Update:
I just plugged into laptop without car and performed registration & firmware update> all OK.
I assume that I can seamlessly move between laptops with HEX+CAN and HEX-V2 without having to reregister?

Last edited:
Back