Don't install VCDS in Fusion on an Apple computer

doru

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=222153
This bit me today. I had installed VCDS on Fusion on an Apple laptop. The testing of the interface passed with no problems.
So, I tried to clear these errors:
02511 - Control Module for Seat Occupied Recognition (J706)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - MIL ON

Went through trying to do a Basic Reset (. The software would talk for a bit with the airbag controller and then threw errors saying that it had lost connection. It led us to believe that the seat occupancy sensor controller was bad.

With advice from the tech support, I installed the VCDS on a PC and tried again. The reset worked like a charm.

So, don't install VCDS on Apple ... unless it is running in BootCamp mode.

Cheers
-Doru

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moved to Product Support.

There's a reason that we consider virtualized environments to be "Unsupported". However, quite a few people report success with VirtualBox and Parallels.

--Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Cool, glad there was a reason for the "weirdness" we were dealing with when trying to resolve this.

While Doru had communication with the Airbag Module, when we tried to do the Basic Settings, it would error out. Once it did display some data briefly, then error message. When we looked at Measuring Block Data for the POD, again, we'd get a brief listing of data, then error out. At the time I was thinking maybe the POD had failed.

McSpiffy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224526
I just got through doing a competitive upgrade from Parallels 5 to VMware Fusion 6, as well as installing the VCDS. I haven't had any errors (yet). It took some time for me to update the HEX-NET network with the HexNetConfigV1.9.jar - it wasn't originally recognizing my wifi or allowing me to access the infrastructure mode . . . persistence paid off!!! I was able to get my '11 VW JSW TDI done but I'm still getting errors with HEX-NET/VCDS-mobile for my '14 VW JSW TDI. I continuously get the warning to configure the cloud, even though the program appears to be running the update. When I try to launch the cloud from one of the sectors (?) the program just seems to hang and then advises that it lost connection. I'll give it a try again tomorrow!

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I just got through doing a competitive upgrade from Parallels 5 to VMware Fusion 6, as well as installing the VCDS. I haven't had any errors (yet). It took some time for me to update the HEX-NET network with the HexNetConfigV1.9.jar - it wasn't originally recognizing my wifi or allowing me to access the infrastructure mode . . . persistence paid off!!! I was able to get my '11 VW JSW TDI done but I'm still getting errors with HEX-NET/VCDS-mobile for my '14 VW JSW TDI. I continuously get the warning to configure the cloud, even though the program appears to be running the update. When I try to launch the cloud from one of the sectors (?) the program just seems to hang and then advises that it lost connection. I'll give it a try again tomorrow!

Please be aware that VCDS it not supported in a VM.
I do it all the time though - via Parallels :cool:

On the VCDS-Cloud registration - do it !
You should go into a module and click [Functions] and register - lots of reasons to.

ASAM updates are periodic and depend on the vehicle that is scanned.
Let HN get them....

skinnyb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=46058
Please be aware that VCDS it not supported in a VM.
I do it all the time though - via Parallels :cool:

Same here. I have used Parallels many times in the past as I didn't have access to a windows laptop. I recently sold my Macbook and am using the Wife's new Asus with Windows 8.1 now and it seems to work well with it and my work laptop (Dell running Windows 7 32 bit)...

tofast2belast

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=207897
This bit me today. I had installed VCDS on Fusion on an Apple laptop. The testing of the interface passed with no problems.
So, I tried to clear these errors:
02511 - Control Module for Seat Occupied Recognition (J706)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - MIL ON

Went through trying to do a Basic Reset (. The software would talk for a bit with the airbag controller and then threw errors saying that it had lost connection. It led us to believe that the seat occupancy sensor controller was bad.

With advice from the tech support, I installed the VCDS on a PC and tried again. The reset worked like a charm.

So, don't install VCDS on Apple ... unless it is running in BootCamp mode.

Cheers
-Doru

not sure if you have checked this or if its possible in fusion, but try setting usb as straight through or no emulation on ports. ie the VM has direct access to hardware and bus ports.

dgarson

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231025
I just purchased a VAGCOM cable directly from Ross-Tech and when I tried to use it on my MacBook Pro running VMWare Fusion w/Windows 7, I found that the behavior was extremely inconsistent/erratic. I would occassionally get connection failure error codes, sometimes I'd get to a Controller's screen and 'then' it would tell me it couldn't communicate, or it would just work fine/as expected.

I did some digging online and it looks like people have had issues running VCDS thru VMWare, but have had more success with VirtualBox, so I'm going to give that a try some time tomorrow. I'd rather not have to dual-boot my MacBook w/BootCamp, but I suppose I could if necessary.

voughtt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=229918
FWIW, I have had success with several different Intel-based Macs running Fusion, but Parallels has been kind of hit-or-miss. (I'm a software tester, so I have lots of environments available.)

For those interested, these Virtual Machine settings seem to work best for me - on the VM I use for VCDS:

-Make sure the USB port behavior is set to the PC only. If you have the port set to "Ask" in Fusion's USB Settings, VCDS can be can be less reliable.
-Speed is king, so if you've got a ton of software running on the VM and on the Mac, consider freeing up more memory and other resources by quitting a few things.
-Always double-check the OBD-II connector. I thought I was having problems with the USB connection until I realized my A3 has a bit of a flaky/loose OBD-II port.

Hope this helps. I haven't really tried VirtualBox (at least for running Windows and VCDS), so my suggestions apply only to Fusion.

Reactions: Uwe

Bernie Andersen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=234443
Glad I didn't take the Fusion route - I was so close though! Instead I went ahead and purchased an inexpensive HP Stream with windows 8.1 (1st PC since 2006 I've used!). Although I still have problems with IP addresses and connecting to the VCDS-cloud, I can now use the VCDS software without any problems. At least I can activate my fuel pumps when I change the fuel filter on my TDI this coming weekend :-)

Reactions: Uwe
Back