http://i.imgur.com/8gxJBeE.png

:facepalm:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Is that sarcasm??? The LAST thing that I would do is install a software update/plugin because a web site (with a known history of compromises and drive-by malware ads) told me to!!!

Both browsers have built-in update checking/installation, and it almost takes a conscious effort to fall behind.....

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Eric got this last week:
I got the same thing a couple days ago. They have something nasty being served up from their ad network, I think.

It was impressively legit-looking for your usual idiot malware. Ironically, they'd have been better off sending an .exe rather than a .js to give it a touch more legitimacy.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
ScriptBlock on Chrome is your friend. I think an equivalent on Firefox is NoScript or NotScript, but I haven't used Firefox in a few years.....

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-24%20at%206.06.03%20PM_zpstrbm5w7z.png

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^ hmm................ I've always thought that the bookmark toolbar on a man's (or woman's) browser speaks volumes about the individual! And I also have a hypothesis about the importance of the subject matter to the individual and the relative position of the bookmark to the left-hand-side of the browser (for English speaking folk)!

I've not met either Eric, or Uwe (or, vreihen), and I know absolutely nothing of their personalities but comparing the two screenshots in the first post (and also vreihen's picture) is potentially instructive - perhaps ("Flyspray" versus "Slickdeals" versus "arduino"?):confused:

Don

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Fuck you VW Vortex you deserve it if you enter that cesspool........no different than when you get Hep C from Chrissie C. the prostitute.

That is why I traveled through the star-gate to here and vacated that planet stuck in a black hole of whore venders!

When I got here I tossed the ZPM on the ground and hit it with a hammer.

The whoretex can kiss my ass............

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
^^^^ hmm................ I've always thought that the bookmark toolbar on a man's (or woman's) browser speaks volumes about the individual! And I also have a hypothesis about the importance of the subject matter to the individual and the relative position of the bookmark to the left-hand-side of the browser (for English speaking folk)!

I've not met either Eric, or Uwe (or, vreihen), and I know absolutely nothing of their personalities but comparing the two screenshots in the first post (and also vreihen's picture) is potentially instructive - perhaps ("Flyspray" versus "Slickdeals" versus "arduino"?):confused:

I'm amazed to see that Eric also created folders on the left side of his bookmarks bar! Although I suspect that my sub-folder scheme inside those bookmark folders is probably more complex than what he has in his folders, he is one of only a few people that I've ever seen create folders on the bookmarks bar. Great minds think alike! :D

Uwe on the other hand... :facepalm: Do you *ever* take a day off? WAY too many work/business links on the left of that bookmark bar! :p

To help Don's hypothesis, I have to point out up front that my bookmarks follow me between home, work, and mobile. Hence the "NetMgmt" and "Home" folders for frequently-accessed links at both locations.

The "Bookmarks" folder is for old links that I don't use regularly. If you want to know how old, this CERN link is at the top of the list:

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

(Yes, at one point that one page was the *entire* World Wide Web!!!)

"To-Do" and "Later" are post-hospital creations, because my brain isn't what it used to be. Whenever I have something that I need to do in the next 24-48 hours, I'll drop a link in To-Do and clean it out when completed. Among the current items are a link for moving the VMware ESXi scratch directory location, a news article that I may post a link to later, and a link to a directory of all OVH (French Internet company) IP subnet blocks that I need to add to Santa's naughty list (aka: the work firewall) first thing tomorrow because their spam done pissed me off. :D

"Later" is longer term stuff, things that I need to buy when I get a chance, news articles that were too long to read, etc. Among the current contents are a link to a retractable engine block heater cord, a Waze live traffic map link that I need to embed into the next revision of my personal web site, two GitHub folders that I need to grab updated drivers from, and of course the requisite article explaining how a water hammer seismograph works.

After the folders, the next two are links for two prominent search engines, followed by whatever my project du jour is at any given time. As Don pointed out, I was working on an Arduino interrupt routine for a weather station sensor I'm experimenting with the other night, so I dragged the Arduino programming reference onto the main bar to save a few mouse moves while trying to figure out all of the AttachInterrupt() function parameters.

Anyway, I hope that this helps Don with his hypothesis.....

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ yes indeed, very helpful explanation and entirely consistent with my bookmark theory - a relatively new "thought appendage" that I intend to add to my hypothesis is the influence (priority position on the toolbar) of the individual's preferred hand. Language is important because of the reading/writing direction, but I suspect that left/right hand preference is also a confounder - but this needs further consideration and data.

And, yes I know............... all the big questions are asked down here @ DV52's thought - palace!!!:D

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Funny right/left story from many years ago. I had a jewish co-worker, who used to have an electric menorah in his office for the holidays every year. On day #2, he had the leftmost two light bulbs on. As I walked by in the hallway, I saw it out of the corner of my eye and it immediately triggered a philosophical question. Why is everything in Hebrew right-to-left, but they light the menorah left-to-right? He couldn't answer my question. Google could. Long story short, he made me a fake paper badge that said "Menorah Police," and had to go tell both his parents and their rabbi that some catholic goyem told him that they were all lighting their menorahs wrong for years.....

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I maaaaaaay have responded poorly to this. We'll see if I still have a VWVortex account later this week. :)

See that is indeed helpful and funny Jason.

I was told that in order to post in a forum & to give away information freely or product, that I too must have a commercial account & pay to advertise, since vendors or advertisers were complaining allegedly that I was costing them money.

Seems like a predatory solicitation, no?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Couldn't blame you one bit.

"Commercial". They keep using that word. I don't think it means what they think it means.

-Uwe-

What is Commercial Law?

Commercial law provides the rules that merchants and others involved in commerce must follow as they conduct business among themselves and with consumers. It governs the sales of goods and services, negotiable instruments, security interests, leases, principal and agent relationships, contracts of carriage, and much more. In a broad sense, commercial law also encompasses related issues like business bankruptcy and tax planning.

Because various legal issues may be included or excluded from the subject of commercial law depending upon how expansively it is defined, it may be more helpful to consider the matter in terms of timing. Commercial law covers legal issues that arise prior to the initiation of a lawsuit. By contrast, once a lawsuit is filed, the same issues are more properly characterized as litigation. Thus, commercial law attorneys help their clients negotiate and enter into business deals. Litigation attorneys help their clients defend their interests in court when deals go bad.

Back