Sticky HEX-NET or HEX-V2 Firmware Update Failed?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, chances are it's not "bricked". Here's what you need to do:

1) Unplug your interface from all sources of power. If it's plugged into a computer, unplug the USB cable from the computer. If the other end is plugged into a car, pull the interface out of the car's OBD-II port. Let it rest for a bit. While it rests:

2) Find a PC. No, not a Mac running Windows in a VM; we need a machine that runs Windows natively. Beg, borrow, or steal one if necessary. Installing Windows on a Mac using Boot Camp will also work.

3) Make sure you have a current version of VCDS installed. The current "Release" version is always available for download from this page.

4) Make sure that the PC has internet access and that Windows Firewall isn't blocking our software's access to our server via TCP port 11,000. The current version of the VCDS Installer takes care of that for you if you don't un-check the relevant option. Note: Some routers can also be overly agressive about blocking outbound traffic. This is rare with "home" routers, but somewhat more common with those installed in corporate environments.

5) Plug your interface into a USB port on the computer.

6) Start VCIConfig manually. There should be a shortcut to it in your Windows Start menu:

Ou253rh.png

Or you can start it directly in your VCDS folder:

w60sb4H.png

VCIConfig should find the interface and show you its serial number. If it doesn't, unplug the interface and try a different USB port (assuming the computer has more than one), then click [Refresh Interface List].

If you get a MessageBox indicating that VCIConfig can't read the current versions like this:

YNtVIKm.png

... just dismiss that message; do not reboot the interface at this time.

7) Click on the Update tab and then click the [Check for Updates] button.

If this doesn't get you all fixed up, please post a screen-shot so we can see what's going on in VCIConfig.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

RyMar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=133909
`USB device not recognised` message. Tried on new cables and 4x computors. All previous usb drivers removed and fresh new instal and still it does not recognise the USB device. WI Fi to Hex-Net connects.
On older version can diagnose through Wi Fi.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
`USB device not recognised` message. Tried on new cables and 4x computors. All previous usb drivers removed and fresh new instal and still it does not recognise the USB device. WI Fi to Hex-Net connects.
On older version can diagnose through Wi Fi.
Mind posting a screen-shot of this error message?

-Uwe-

Kam_VAG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=324163
My one failed today now doesn't read the hex-v2 ARGH :( any other suggestions ?

All i get is the green led flashes when first connected then just flashes red :(

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My one failed today now doesn't read the hex-v2 ARGH :( any other suggestions ?
All i get is the green led flashes when first connected then just flashes red :(
What does VCIConfig say?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Reboot the interface. Reboot your computer. Reboot whatever is in between your computer and the internet (router, modem, whatever).

I just updated an old interface from 0.4401 to current status, so I'm confident everything on our end is working.

-Uwe-

Kam_VAG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=324163
Reboot the interface. Reboot your computer. Reboot whatever is in between your computer and the internet (router, modem, whatever).

I just updated an old interface from 0.4401 to current status, so I'm confident everything on our end is working.

-Uwe-

I have formatted my hard drive re installed windows. Once its installed i will download latest version of VCDS.

Anything else i can do apart from what i wrote above ?

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
CB: 0.0 Is that a problem?

MKxWELe.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have formatted my hard drive re installed windows. Once its installed i will download latest version of VCDS.

Anything else i can do apart from what i wrote above ?
Since VCIConfig sees the interface (as evidenced by the serial number), I am confident this is recoverable. The real question is, where is is the blockage?

Formatting your HD and re-installing Windows is rather more drastic than I would have done. ;)

-Uwe-

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
CB: 0.0 Is that a problem?
Sure, it explains why the interface currently isn't useable with VCDS; but it's entirely recoverable.

-Uwe-

Kam_VAG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=324163
I know formatting is extreme but want to start from scratch as i am running out of ideas.

RyMar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=133909
Hi Uwe

The agents here in South Africa also tried to fix it through Teamviewer and telephonically.
I send it back to them and they repaired it under warranty.
Now I am a happy customer!

Kam_VAG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=324163
Sure, it explains why the interface currently isn't useable with VCDS; but it's entirely recoverable.

-Uwe-

Formated everything like i said laptop, router and installed everything from scratch and it all works fine now.

Thanks

shurur9

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=320200
Maybe not the most tech solution, but ..I just go to the local library to use the windows machines and download the latest VCDS .exe file to a usb drive.
Then take the usb home and update my window 10 laptop VCDS with the latest version on my usb stick..
Then again, my laptop is a dedicated VCDS machine..

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Maybe not the most tech solution, but ..I just go to the local library to use the windows machines and download the latest VCDS .exe file to a usb drive.
Then take the usb home and update my window 10 laptop VCDS with the latest version on my usb stick..
Then again, my laptop is a dedicated VCDS machine..
That strategy will not a darn thing update the firmware in a HEX-NET or HEX-V2 interface.... You'd have to take it to the library and use their computer (or put your computer on their WiFi).

-Uwe-

joe skinner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304534
update

Hello, I hope this is correct area to post but since software and firmware update my V2 has been acting up, it will say not found then after restarting my laptop etc it will just start working, but today it took me 45 min to get it working and i have no idea why it did, this is unusual, it was always stable before update so i wanted to make you aware there may be an issue with recent updates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hello, I hope this is correct area to post but since software and firmware update my V2 has been acting up, it will say not found then after restarting my laptop etc it will just start working, but today it took me 45 min to get it working and i have no idea why it did, this is unusual, it was always stable before update so i wanted to make you aware there may be an issue with recent updates.
What is the behavior of the LEDs when it doesn't work?

-Uwe-

joe skinner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304534
I will try it today, see if it acts the same, i test it and it cannot find the dongle then i fiddle with thing restarting laptop , plugging and unplugging things and it starts working, but it was not this way before it worked everytime , so ill pay attention to leds , seems they were blue and then green when plugged into the audi but let me make sure!

Back