VCDS error says battery code is too long

dlaforteza

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302009
Hey Guys! First of all, I'm Darwin and I just inherited my very first Audi, more specifically a 2010 A4! So far, it's great and no complaints here!

I just replaced my battery and was trying to recode it w/ VCDS, but I keep getting an error saying that the code has to be exactly 26 Hex characters long. However, I never get to the 26th character when trying to enter it. Here is the code from the new battery.

000915105DJ VAO1510226Q1VN *205 VAO1FAQ1VN2

I've entered what seems to be every which iteration, but the error pops-up when I get to the "Q". For instance, I start entering the following, 000915105DJ VAO 151026, and as soon as I enter the "Q", I get the error. I've tried the product number w/ a zero, VA0, but still the same issue. Any ideas on what's going on?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
dlaforteza: Hello and a warm welcome to the forum on behalf of Uwe Ross.

I'll leave the specific answer for your question to the Audi experts on this forum (of which there are a few) except to make one observation: the code string that you have highlighted is NOT a hex number, so I suspect that error message about the necessary 26 Hex characters is a far more fundamental problem.

Hex numbers (by definition) contain (only) the digits 0, 1, 2, 3...............9 and (only) the alpha characters A, B, C....F. The presence of Alphas 000915105DJVAO151026 in the forced entry is VERBOTEN - as the Germans would say!!

Don

PS: I know that on my mk7 (MQB platform) vehicle, the exact serial number is irrelevant and all the examples that I've seen from the factory have a string of "F"s in the setting. All that's necessary when changing a battery is to change only one digit in the code-string to another value, so the CAN Gateway knows that it's a different battery - the number itself is unimportant. Not sure if the same applies to the Audi, but given the pedigree of the two vehicles, I suspect that it does apply - if I'm correct, just use your existing value and change one digit (anyone will do)

Last edited:

dlaforteza

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302009
Thanks for the reply DV52! Thanks for the warm welcome too!

I probably should've also said that I'm aware of what hex numbers are which is what is throwing me off. Also, here is the current code and there are non-hex digits in there as well.

8K0915105D MLA 190622MS1C

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Thanks for the reply DV52! Thanks for the warm welcome too!

I probably should've also said that I'm aware of what hex numbers are which is what is throwing me off. Also, here is the current code and there are non-hex digits in there as well.

8K0915105D MLA 190622MS1C

dlaforteza: Best way forward is to post-up a copy of a current auto-scan from the car. That way, we can all see the precise equipment that is installed in the vehicle

Don

Reactions: Uwe

Angel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=98003
I have been investigating about this topic last weeks, so I can tell you what I have found. Nobody knows if there is important or not to put a more or less precise code for the car or it's enough to change the code "a little" and car will know it has a new battery, but you have a complete code from your new battery, so let's use it. :)

Your old code it's 8K0915105D MLA 190622MS1C. It's 26 characters, maybe you didn't see it, but there are 2 spaces between D and MLA. This D means around 80Ah, a Moll battery, and it was manufactured 22 of June 2009. It's a MY2010, so car could be sold since July-August 2009. There is a theory in some forums about YYMMDD for those digits, but I have compared around 50 BEM codes and it's not right. I don't know what this first 1 means, but it's not the year. Last 4 digits-letters are serial number.

So your new code will be: 000915105DJ VAO 151026Q1VN <-only 1 space between DJ and VAO, and another space between VAO and 1, total 26 characters. In this case, manufacturing date is 26 of October 2015. 1 seems to be related with year here, but I have seen in this position from 0 to 5, so we don't know its meaning. Last 4 digits-letters are serial number again.

Try again this one, copy and paste it, I bet a coffee it will work. :o

PS: last weekend I changed mine, and I used TK95 for last characters without any problem

dlaforteza

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302009
I have been investigating about this topic last weeks, so I can tell you what I have found. Nobody knows if there is important or not to put a more or less precise code for the car or it's enough to change the code "a little" and car will know it has a new battery, but you have a complete code from your new battery, so let's use it. :)

Your old code it's 8K0915105D MLA 190622MS1C. It's 26 characters, maybe you didn't see it, but there are 2 spaces between D and MLA. This D means around 80Ah, a Moll battery, and it was manufactured 22 of June 2009. It's a MY2010, so car could be sold since July-August 2009. There is a theory in some forums about YYMMDD for those digits, but I have compared around 50 BEM codes and it's not right. I don't know what this first 1 means, but it's not the year. Last 4 digits-letters are serial number.

So your new code will be: 000915105DJ VAO 151026Q1VN <-only 1 space between DJ and VAO, and another space between VAO and 1, total 26 characters. In this case, manufacturing date is 26 of October 2015. 1 seems to be related with year here, but I have seen in this position from 0 to 5, so we don't know its meaning. Last 4 digits-letters are serial number again.

Try again this one, copy and paste it, I bet a coffee it will work. :o

PS: last weekend I changed mine, and I used TK95 for last characters without any problem

Thanks Angel, but that's the code I've been entering, w/ 1 space between the DJ and the VAO and 1 space between VAO and 15. I've even tried using VA0 as the manufacturer code, but I still get the same error when I get to the "Q". I also tried getting rid of one of the leading zeros at the beginning and instead inserting an extra space between the DJ and VAO/0, but no dice. I still get the same error.

I'll grab an auto-scan when I get back to the car later today.

Angel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=98003
Sorry, I don't understand why you write it one by one, just copy and paste, and you'll get a "Coding accepted" or "Coding rejected", but nothing about the 'Q'.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ angel: doesn't matter if you can find a consecutive 26 string set of numbers in OP's code. Alas, the inescapable fact is that there is no such set of numbers in the first post that are ALL hexadecimal.

The number-set posted by dlaforteza is NOT a serial number that conforms to BEM protocol!

Don

Last edited:

dlaforteza

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302009
Thanks Angel... The cut and paste worked. The code was accepted!

Back