2002 Audi A4 3.0L Runs And Shuts-Off Imediately. Need Advice On What To Check.

Akron04

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364043
There is only one free aftermarket software that can read some of these pin codes. A guy on another forum wrote it and it allegedly works well but the thread is older and I was unable to find a cable that would connect with it. The cables I did try told me to use Vagtacho or K-commander, neither of which are free but unfortunately there are cracked versions out there. I was unaware of that when I fried them, also unsuccessfully. It angers me that Amazon allows these sellers to get away with essentially selling pirated software and pirated cables. You CAN buy a real K-can cable and get the software that way. I may do that down the road. Idk. Frankly though a lost week screwing around with it. Lost money in cables and dealer fees, just not worth it. I will NEVER buy another used part that requires a pin without a verified pin ever again. The "good deal" I thought I got on eBay for a Kessy was anything but! Either buy the right tools or pay someone who has them to do it for you. You will be at least aggravation ahead and possibly money ahead. JMHO....

Akron04

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364043
Referring to my own Kessy adventure and pin codes ^^^^^

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Well I doubt this is a VAG authorized software, but I too got this software off of Amazon with the companion 0B2 USB interface dongle. When I recently read information pertaining to it off another forum apparently the author of the software designed it to be free because Audi/Vw stopped verifying SKC's.

Vag-EEProm-Programmer-Screen-Shot.png

Akron04

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364043
Well I doubt this is a VAG authorized software, but I too got this software off of Amazon with the companion 0B2 USB interface dongle. When I recently read information pertaining to it off another forum apparently the author of the software designed it to be free because Audi/Vw stopped verifying SKC's.

What cable did you use?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Yeah and the clones have counter measures that may seem like they work and then bam, just like others if lucky the cable FTDI gets smashed but others will smoke your equipment by writing things a byte off or something deliberate as an ECM such as a BS SKC and that will accept a login but deploy a block elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_countermeasure

Anyone want a Black chocolate Sunday ice cream cone?

giphy.gif

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
What cable did you use?

It's a generic blue usb one with the sticker that says Vag on it. The software came on one of those small compact disc.

And Jack is %100 right.

This software is more trouble than it's worth.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Robert,

An FYI:

Still no second letter and our security check is still incomplete all which is TBD.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Robert,

An FYI:

Still no second letter and our security check is still incomplete all which is TBD.

Hi Jack,

I will call them tomorrow since I will have more time to sort out what's going on.

Kind Regards,
Robert

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Hi Jack,

I will call them tomorrow since I will have more time to sort out what's going on.

Kind Regards,
Robert

Yeah they called here tonight and are not very professional people Robert, they refuse to write anything down as if evading me, I wonder why?
You will need to get a receipt with a valid dismantlement license and VIN number on it & to move forward but they say they don't sell parts period, nor provide receipts, very bizarre huh?
They also claim the part is stolen, odd huh, however, were never provided a VIN number by us, nor did they authenticate or see the receipt you procured & forwarded to us, so we await a police report or contact from law enforcement?

Best you document everything, we are!

No good deed goes unpunished!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Look for a surprise treat in the mail this week............

NostraJackASS Has Spoken!

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Look for a surprise treat in the mail this week............

WoW Jack, I don't know what to say as I'm actually both thrilled and also speechless. I also thought it would be best to reply to you here instead of by email and hope you don't mind.

I just showed my wife your email and she's completely flabbergasted (and by the way she loves real German chocolate and wanted to personally thank you too). We are both ever so grateful that you're not only a real decent human being, but also one honest individual that plays by the rules....:thumbs:

There's very few people in the world today who will actually go completely out of their way in order to help out complete strangers. For that I would like to let other fellow forum members know that you should be their first person of contact for any issues that they may have when dealing with immobilizer software/hardware or other electrical gremlins involving their Audi's instrument clusters or ecu's.

I want to say that I was completely bummed out the past few days (lesson well learned and I will be heeding your other advice about following up with the proper agency too) about having to sell off the Audi until I read your email. The car is really well equipped and clean both inside and out. And if everything works out when your surprise treat in the mail arrives next week, then that will go a real long way towards solving the one major issue that currently plagues this car.

The other things that you personally mentioned in the email I will not go into detail here, but I also share similar, but not exactly the same circumstances you mentioned. Yes, we struggle financially, but we have two daughters that we sacrifice everything for (so they can have a chance at a better life), but the bills never end when they are both in college. Also you can google my address in Maps and see my house is not extravagant by any means...lol

Okay I've said enough already, but at least now I can look forward to next week and put off of having to sell the car.

Jack, I will keep you posted here on the outcome and just wanted to share my own experience with your help so others will not be hesitant in seeking your services or advice in the future.

Kind Regards,

Robert

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

You have MAIL!

Nostrajack-ASS-Has-Spoken.png

Code:
PUBLIC SKC "01234" for needed 050 ALIGNMENT

0x17-11-01234 DO IT > Proceed 0x17-10-050> INPUT YOUR PIN 0???? TEST/SAVE DONE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 17: Instruments       Labels: 8E0-920-9XX-8E2.LBL
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 920 950 L
  Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. RB4 D36
           Software Coding: 03200
            Work Shop Code: WSC 03738  
           Additional Info: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX     NOSTRAJACKASS!
                      VCID: 3260E8E8FE7504DA1B-513C
17 Faults Found:

00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G) 
            30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
00438 - Fuel Supply Sensor 2 (G169) 
00779 - Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17) 
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266) 
01128 - Immobilizer Pickup Coil (D2) 
            35-00 -  - 
01314 - Engine Control Module 
            49-00 - No Communications
01315 - Transmission Control Module 
01316 - ABS Control Module 
00457 - Control Module for Network (J519) 
01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393) 
01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386) 
01332 - Door Control Module; Passenger Side (J387) 
01334 - Door Control Module; Rear Right (J389) 
01333 - Door Control Module; Rear Left (J388) 
00466 - Control Module for Steering Column Electronics (J527) 
01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255) 
01304 - Radio 

Address 17: DTCs cleared

Address 17: Instruments  (8E0 920 950 L)

12:55:57 Group 002: General
  0 km  Odometer 
  Receiver N.Ok  Remote Clock Receiver Status
            Comfort-CAN Information
  -100.0°C  Outside Temperature

Address 17: Instruments  (8E0 920 950 L)

12:56:17 Group 022: Immobilizer I
   0  Engine Start permitted
   0  Engine (ECU) responds
   0  Key Status 
   0  Number of adapted Keys

12:56:17 Group 023: Immobilizer II
   0  Variable Code authorized
   0  Key Status (Transponder)
   0  Fixed Code authorized
   4  Immobilizer Status

12:56:17 Group 024: Immobilizer III
  0.0  Lock-Time Instrument Cluster
  0.0  Lock-Time Engine (ECU)
  0.0  Lock-Time Emergency Unlock
  0.0  Lock-Time Transponder

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Miles will be transferred? How?

I would think he still needs to mileage in Adaptation channel 18?

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Miles will be transferred? How?

I would think he still needs to mileage in Adaptation channel 18?

-Uwe-

The miles are stored in the ECU most of the time in ME7.1.1

He did fiddle with stuff, so who knows what's in there now & because we don't have the car but if he has to set manually it will and can be done in VCDS by dong this below within first 160 miles, after that it's burned in.

Nope..... not adaption 10/18

0x17-11 Login with screen shot for adaption 13861 first!

Then proceed to 0x17-10-09 & input a value in adaption needed while observing the odometer reading and when set to desired value, only then hit save!

The cluster is in the same configuration as a dealer would sell it, minus my own 14 digit identifier and WSC already input & a provided login code to commence fresh keys or a 050 session!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
if he has to set manually it will and can be done in VCDS by dong this below within first 160 miles!
It wouldn't surprise me if he does have to set it.

And I'm sure you meant 100 km or 60 miles, not 160 miles. ;)

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It wouldn't surprise me if he does have to set it.

And I'm sure you meant 100 km or 60 miles, not 160 miles. ;)

-Uwe-

Indeed I meant 160 Miles or 258 Kilometers & after reading this I went and double checked & Indeed I am correct using VCDS.

giphy.gif

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Thanks Jack ;)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
An FYI :

RB4 gauges and information centers unplug pretty easy to swap out pretty fast as modules & without need for immobilizer stuff done.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
An FYI :

RB4 gauges and information centers unplug pretty easy to swap out pretty fast as modules & without need for immobilizer stuff done.

Hi Jack,

Cluster arrived and looks great...:thumbs:

Wife was only interested in the fine German chocolate, but was kind enough to let me have one 1/2 of the orange/almond one....;)

I most likely wont have the free time to get it installed until this weekend. I will post an update with the outcome here. And once again I and my family really can't thank you enough for everything you have done for us.

Folks?

Jack has gone way beyond the kind of scope, help and support that I have ever expected for what was asked of him for his professional services. He's one unique individual that has a very big heart and truly likes to help the membership here.

Jack is a true asset to the Ross-Tech forum.

And I would also like to ad from my short observation here, both Jack, Ewe and the other Ross-Tech support team spend so much time here offering sound trouble shooting advice that gives me the confidence going forward in solving the issues that of owning a Audi or Vw car.

Now with that said, from in the quote above Jack, am I to understand that my original color center display is capable/compatible of being swapped out rather easily with the non-color display.

Just looking for some clarification on that one as I certainly could see how the other gauges (fuel, temp, rpm and speedo) could be plug and play, but not so clear on the info display.

Kind Regards,

Robert

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The gauges are for sure, the color display not sure but most likely just might?

Back