Retrofitted Golf Mk7 mfsw to a 2009 Mk6 Golf

sean1987

Unverified
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A few days ago i've retroffited a Golf Mk7 mfsw to my 2009 Golf Mk6 and im experiencing two problems:
- after the steering wheel was coded, all the buttons are working but the horn is not working
- no button illumination

As the car didnt came from the factory with any cruise control the default codding on the concenience ?calculator ( the one located in the steering wheel collumn, sorry, dont know the exact name) was 000004. Now, in order to make the buttons work, ive used the Lin 2.0 coding but regardless of the codding the horn isnt working. I've tried the followong codes 0000501,502,503,504 until 804. Also, when using the Lin 1.3 codding, nothing is working, horn or buttons.

The only way to make the worn work is using the old codding, 000004.

Any ideeas regarding the horn issue?
Also, the button illumination is kind of annoying but the most important would be the horn issue.

What did i do wrong?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
sean: Hi. I'm sure that an auto-scan of your car will be the catalyst for a deluge of responses from the sage folk here - it normally is!!

Anyhow, I'm not familiar with set-up for the horn on a mk6 steering wheel, but I am aware that the mk7 arrangement is different depending on wether the car has a MFS, or not. In particular, the earthing of the horn plate is very different

Here's my amateur attempt at a "block diagram" showing how the two set-ups differ. My apology for the simplistic nature of the pic, but I'm trying to not infringe the Benevolent Dictator's (correct) views on copyright.

xMOeaNT.png

As you can see, in the case of the MFS, the earthing for the horn plate is routed via both the Steering wheel and the MFS control module. Just as an opening suggestion, it might be prudent to compare the wiring diagrams for both the Mk6 and the mk7 and to establish how the mk6 handles horn-plate earthing.

sean1987

Unverified
Reaction score
Hi,

I really don't have experience when it comes to wiring but a friend of mine who has a little more experience than me suggested that we take out Golf 7 multifunction cable and replace it with a Golf 6 multifunction cable.
We tried that today, unfortunately the cables are different. Both cables have 3 main pins (purple/yellow/red for the airbag,black for the steering wheel buttons and yellow that goes in the steering wheel column)
The Golf 7 cable has a different connector that goes in the middle of the airbag and also doesn't have the cylindrical ground wire?(dont know the name of it, or whats its job)

Golf 7 airbag pins

IMG_1079.jpg

Golf 7 airbag cable

IMG_1074.jpg

Golf 6 airbag pins

IMG_1091.jpg

Golf 6 airbag cable

IMG_1086.jpg

Tomorrow we want to make a test, install the mk6 multifunction cable in the mk7 steering wheel and also connect the 3 pins to the mk 7 airbag without connecting the cable to the middle of the airbag (also because the pins are different and it wont work) and see if the horn will work.
The only problem is that the mk7 airbag has only 3 flat pins and no cylindrical pin vs the mk 6 who has 3 pins and a cylindrical pin.

In the mk6 airbag, the cylindrical pin has its own place but in the mk7's airbag there is none. What is the role of this cylindrical pin????

IMG_1093_1.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

Are this pins the ground of the horn?
If the controls and the horn will work, we're planning of cutting the mk7 pin (that goes in the airbag) and solder it onto the mk6 cable, hopefully will work and wont cause the airbag to deploy.
From our knowledge the cable that fits in the middle of the airbag has only one task, to deploy the airbag in case of an accident and is not related to the horn or the steering wheel buttons.

To sum things up a bit, here are my questions:

- What is the role of the 3 metal pins + the cylindrical pin?
- On the mk7 steering wheel you can mount the 3 metal pins but the cylindrical pin has no mounting bracket, would there be a problem if this wont be attached to something?

Please let me know what are your thoughts regarding the plan.

Much appreciate!

Eddie-NL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=41179
i wouldn't mess about with the wiring if you don't know how it is wired.

if you bought the wheel and airbag, and the buttons work then the LIN is ok

the mk7 loom should work

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
sean: Hi. I'm sure that an auto-scan of your car will be the catalyst for a deluge of responses from the sage folk here - it normally is!!

Anyhow, I'm not familiar with set-up for the horn on a mk6 steering wheel, but I am aware that the mk7 arrangement is different depending on wether the car has a MFS, or not. In particular, the earthing of the horn plate is very different

Here's my amateur attempt at a "block diagram" showing how the two set-ups differ. My apology for the simplistic nature of the pic, but I'm trying to not infringe the Benevolent Dictator's (correct) views on copyright.

xMOeaNT.png

As you can see, in the case of the MFS, the earthing for the horn plate is routed via both the Steering wheel and the MFS control module. Just as an opening suggestion, it might be prudent to compare the wiring diagrams for both the Mk6 and the mk7 and to establish how the mk6 handles horn-plate earthing.

good luck with that
1st - MK7 Buttons are not longer connect via LIN to SWCM in Mk7 only to gateway and GW will see it as SubSystem
2nd - Mk7 Buttons connected via LIN to MK6 SWCM will not work

If you ever see MK7 MFSW - it was not a MK7 ( 5G0) it was a new Jetta or Scirocco made in early 2015 with a 1K8 number
They are still PQ35 platform, not like Mk7 - MQB

sean1987

Unverified
Reaction score
i wouldn't mess about with the wiring if you don't know how it is wired.

if you bought the wheel and airbag, and the buttons work then the LIN is ok

the mk7 loom should work

Hi,

If the buttons are activated via the vcds codding then the horn is no longer usable. You push on it and there is no sound. If then the buttons are deactivated via Vcds then the horn becomes active, it works again.

To be notted that all the parts ( steering wheel, airbag, airbag cable, buttons ) have a Mk7 code, starting with 5g0

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Sean: I have to agree with Eddie-NL: messing round with wiring is generally a tricky thing to do at the best of times. If you are not familiar with the "black-arts" of wiring diagrams, then you are playing a guessing game with the odds stacked against a good outcome.

In this case, you have the added concern of wanting to cut "the mk7 pin (that goes in the airbag) and solder it onto the mk6 cable". This is the cable to the airbag igniter - which is a pyrotechnic device. VW plaster their instruction manuals with lots of no-no's when handling airbag wiring. Sure, some of their warnings are a bit overly-protective, but in general their safety notices make sense.

If you really want to proceed with this task (and I suggest that you don't) please make doubly sure that everything is at the same electrical potential (i.e. the two wires to the igniter, the two wires to the old mk6 loom AND THE SOLDERING IRON TIP. But given Spacewaker's comments, I suspect that you have more fundamental problems with this project! Perhaps solving these other matters first might be a better way of proceeding.

sean1987

Unverified
Reaction score
You are right and we will not mess with the airbag igniter, its way to risky.
Still... regarding the codding, the buttons only work when they are coded on Lin2.0 and after that the horn stops working.
After codding them, is there any other option to reactivate the horn or finding the horn ground is the only option?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
You are right and we will not mess with the airbag igniter, its way to risky.
Still... regarding the codding, the buttons only work when they are coded on Lin2.0 and after that the horn stops working.
After codding them, is there any other option to reactivate the horn or finding the horn ground is the only option?

Sean: well... my problem is still the same, I don't have access to a mk6 wiring diagram, so I don't know how the horn plate and the MFS control module is earthed on that car. But Spacewalker's comments aren't good (he is a very knowledgeable person in this forum).

I guess If you look at my block diagram, the earth connection from the horn plate to the MFS control module is the brown coloured wire. Since the MFS control module is physically located in the LHS of the steering wheel, you should be able to see this wire. Using a multimeter, you could check if this pin is electrically connected to the car's earth (when the steering wheel is fitted). You should also be able to trace back the other brown wire that is meant to connect to the steering column control module. Now where this wire is meant to go on a mk6 is a mystery without a mk6 wiring diagram (and there may be no suitable place for it to fit at all - which I think is what Spacewalker is saying).

But I guess the biggest concern with your project is whether the airbag from the mk7 is suitable for the mk6 steering column control module. The fact that it has a different connector is not a good sign. Just because it is a driver's air bag doesn't mean that it can be installed in any controller! It would tragic if the airbag didn't operate as intended if needed - just too many unknowns here, alas!

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
..... But Spacewalker's comments aren't good (he is a very knowledgeable person in this forum). .....!

We been fight with over a year ago
You have to look 1K8 - from New Scirocco or 2015 SEL Jetta ( old platform)

This is same is with Skoda FL (5E MFSW)
5E MFSW is for 5E Octavia III (MQB)
but
5E STYLE (look exactly this same , but differnet p/n) was made for Yeti and SuperB still PQ35 (old BCM, RNS 510 radio, 7N0 gateway 5K0 SWCM etc)

There is one guy - Bronken , who made converter signal for MQB steering wheel to be understand via older module.

sean1987

Unverified
Reaction score
This week-end we managed to make the horn and the buttons functional without messing wth the airbag harness and without cutting any of the wires.
The only thing left to do now is to make the buttons lit up.
From the tests that we conducted with the electrician, we need a separate harness to power the illumination for the buttons. Both button modules have the space for a harness but i dont know the code for it.
The button plate has the code 6c0 959 442 and the harness should fit in the below space

799F6196-DD7F-4750-8A77-BA184C2AC8EE.jpg

94893602-299A-4E5F-8A23-6C4214B96459.jpg

Last edited:

marcrae19

Reaction score
Hi Sean. Would you be willing to share how you got this to work? I'm in Australia and want to fit a MK7 R Line MFSW to my 2013 T5 which has DSG/Cruise/MFD. I was told it could not be done because the T5 runs BCM and the wheel is set up for MQB.

If you could provide more detail that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Marc

Last edited:

sean1987

Unverified
Reaction score
Hi,

Making the Mk7 wheel to work was not that hard, you only need an Golf6 multifunction steering wheel airbag cable and an electrician.
The process is as follows: the cable has two plastic parts that holds the cable, the yellow part that fits in the cars slip ring and a black part that fits in the steering wheel.
The incompatibility problem between mk6 and mk7 comes from the airbag cable. This cables are very different wires and because of this we had to change all the wiring( excluding the airbag trigger cables).
We took the mk6 cable and we measured how the electronic impulses are transmited along the cable. For example: the yellow plastic part that houses the cable is comunicating with the black plastic part that fits jn the steering wheel.
The black plastic part has a number for each cable( example: yellow plastic tab 1 with black plastic tab 3). The hard part is that the mk6 cable has all the cable the same colour and the mk7 has a colour for each cable. After mapping every cable from the mk6 we took the mk7 cable and did the same and i can tell you that only the airbag trigger is the same, all the other wires are completely different.

After switching the cables the wheel works, the only problem is that the buttons have no light, probably i need an extra cable.

Let me know if this helps.

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Hi,

Making the Mk7 wheel to work was not that hard, you only need an Golf6 multifunction steering wheel airbag cable and an electrician......
After switching the cables the wheel works, the only problem is that the buttons have no light, probably i need an extra cable.

Let me know if this helps.

post your autoscan please

marcrae19

Reaction score
Thanks sean, this is encouraging. It would be awesome if you could post or private message me the mapping that you did so i can copy it?

Cheers
Marc

sean1987

Unverified
Reaction score
This week or next week hopefully, i will need to take out the mfsw in order to install a cruise control and then i will remap all the cables and post here the result.

Still, its really anoying that we cannot make the buttons light up.
On the back of the buttons ( see pics in previous posts)there is a space for a cable that controls the light in the buttons.
Im sure that those buttons work because the electrician "fed" some electricity through those square things :) and the buttons lit up. The only thing that i need is that cable.

Can somebody tell me what is the code for that cable?

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
On the back is a socket for DSG paddle (Signal + illuminate)

sean1987

Unverified
Reaction score
So those two sockets are only for the DSG? There is no extra cable that works only for illumination?

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
So those two sockets are only for the DSG? There is no extra cable that works only for illumination?
don't even imagine that might for something different than DSG paddle .

Back