Watch those mirrors, Golf Alltrack

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Last summer my girlfriend traded her Touareg in on a Golf Alltrack. Last weekend she backed out of the driveway and was too close to our fence (I have her park tight to the fence so I can get out on my motorcycle in the morning).

It popped apart and she ran over the pieces. It's all bolt on work, and the mirrors are not color matched to the car (everyone gets silver).

$1000 at the dealer for the repair.

WTF with cars?

Do you have any idea how many Volkswagens I've owned that cost less than $1000? Today we consider a vehicle a public nuisance if it doesn't have electric adjust, it has a turn signal light in it and it is possibly heated (I don't know for sure).

So it also has more parts than some of my previous vehicles.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Last summer my girlfriend traded her Touareg in on a Golf Alltrack.
We were wondering what happened to the mighty V10. :cry:

Do you have any idea how many Volkswagens I've owned that cost less than $1000?
I paid $1500 for my first one. OK, it wasn't brand new, but still...

-Uwe-

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
After quite a few years of BMW ownership in our family... I'm SHOCKED at how expensive VW parts are.

Most of the BMW parts were much better priced than the VW ones, or even dads previous Toyota (Which he sold after paying exorbitant prices for the repairs).

I generally don't get them from the dealer, where I can avoid it.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
We were wondering what happened to the mighty V10. :cry:
Yeah.
She poured almost $15k into getting two working turbos before giving up. While I was flying across the country she traded it in on the Alltrack (which I find very uninspiring but not a terrible car).
I still have my Cayenne, with gas V8 and steel springs. It's a far superior vehicle in terms of daily reliability even though much of the base systems are identical.

I don't buy parts at the dealer if I can avoid it. I recently did my rear brakes on the Cayenne and was hoping to reuse the brake sensors. Where many are rubber these were plastic with a metal clip and they were not reusable. Just for laughs I called the local Porsche dealer: $51 each. $7 from Pelican. I left them off and put the car back together. The sensors are now on my bench ready to go in this weekend when I do an oil change.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Back